3 degrees of helical is the magic number

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by BB4tw, Mar 3, 2016.

1. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    According to the article below, an arrow fletched with a 3 degree helical will out perform any other fletching configuration (I assume that they used matching shafts, equipment, etc.). 5 degrees of helical is over kill, offset and straight fletch doesn't stabilize nearly as well. The claim is that the finding apply across vane types and styles.

It's a good read.

The Bowhunting Pioneers Were Right: Helical Fletching Is Most Accurate | Outdoor Life

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did they test quick spins in there?

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They didn't specifically name Quick Spins as being tested. However, they did say that the extra spin from a 5 degree helical didn't provide any meaningful amount of stabilization over the slower spin of the 3 degree. Furthermore the faster spin caused the arrows to drop faster.

Whether the same findings would be seen when using Quick Spins, I don't know.

4. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great article, thanks

5. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My 3 degree arrows way out perform my "stock" built arrows. My wife bought me a fletching machine and I did some of the arrows myself with and then left the other the same. Night / Day difference. Will never purchase "stock" fletching again, I'll do it myself.

6. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Podcast number 11 of Nock On archery ITunes Podcast or Podbean. John Dudley interviews James Park, who is a Aussie Archery guru and Physicist. This answers allot of these up in the air questions regarding aerodynamics of arrows, fletching's, nocks etc. Its worth the listen!

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is something that archers with practical experiences have known for years.

8. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great article. Just bought a fletching jig and started using the helical. Haven't shot any arrows yet. Really curious to see if I can tell a difference at longer distances.

9. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The part about the helical providing more stability in flight didn't surprise me at all. What did surprise me was their finding that the 5 degree was "over kill" and actually detrimental to the overall shot.

10. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just started using the Arizona EZ Fletch mini and I think it puts a 6 degree helical on it. Granted that's what it says but I don't think it is quite 6 degrees.

11. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bitzenberger Jig ...how would I know what degree helical I am putting on my arrow?

12. DD/MO

DD/MO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool. Just bought a Tower Jig. Looking forward to giving it a try.

13. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the same question.

14. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I use a bitzenberger and have done a lot of experimentation with various vanes and feathers with different levels of helical offset. Am not sure my exact offset but basically use about midway from the max I can set and no offset. the arrows have flown great with all the fixed blade broadheads I've tried including single, three blade and four blade. I normally use white and yellow or white and orange RAZR 2 inch feathers which really show up when they fly and those set at max offset were amazing to watch because they spun like a top as they flew to the target. Flying like a dart is the only way to describe them. I know this doesn't help answer the question of how to tell how much offset is set. My recommendation would be to fletch a couple arrows with an angle that between none and max offset and try it, then adjust it from there based on the arrow's flight. the bitzenberger does have markings on it to use as a reference but I've not taken the time to figure out how these relate to degree of offset.

15. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    Using old school math it looks like 2 inch fletching would have an 3 degree of offset if the front of the fletching was .052 inch off the arrow centerline from the back. 3 inch would be .078 inch and 4 inch .104 inch.

4 degree offset would be .069, .104, and .139.

5 degree offset would be .087, .130, and .174.

the offset I've been putting on my 2 inch fletching is .063 so it's close to 4 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  16. EDBH

EDBH Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The degrees of helical offset is determined by the weight of your arrow and broadhead as compared to your arrow's center of gravity. Large150-200 grain, single bevel type broadheads might need a 4-6 degree, but a mid-weight arrow with a 100-125 grain broadhead is probably good with a 3 degree offset. Right helical preferred. With heavier setups, you might also want to look at 4 versus 3 fletchings.

17. Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting, as a mechanical shooter I have not needed to use any helical on my vanes. Planning on getting some arrows fletched helical to play with

18. Katt72

Katt72 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking into comparison of helical vs. My thought on this, I've learned that a 3* helical will out perform any other Fletch config. from beginning of flight to the target. The trade off is some speed, but at longer distances(40+) the trade-off is worth more than speed(certain circumstances). A consistent flight is my overall goal. There's that trade(speed), when you even go "heavy". I agree that 3* is balance of both worlds!

19. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd put as much spin as I can get.

Just something sexy about it?

20. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an offset guy. I've never had steering problems using 2° to 3° of offset with 3 blade 1-1/8" fixed heads.
    A lot of helical sure does look cool though, I agree with that.
    It is just way overkill for what I need. Maybe if I shot a lot of 3d in windy conditions, or a huge cut fixed.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022