Climber Stand opinions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jcz, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all those of you who use climber stands what do you use? Also do any of you carry in and out everytime and does anyone carry a backpack also to carry your gear. Thanks for your response.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Summit climber. I hunt private land so I am able to leave it out all season. It has been a great stand. Been using it for five years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a hang on set up and a climber set up.

For my climber set up I use the XOP Enforcer Sit and Climb. I also hang my hunting pack right onto the stand. It's a great set up. Stand is super quiet. Folds up nice and small. Cables are amazing!
    Do yourself a favor though and upgrade the straps!! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1456539376.507183.jpg
    Here is the ones. They will work with any stand. I have them on my climber and my hang on.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my LW sit and climb almost exclusively. In goes in with me and comes out with me every time, unless I'll be back before first light the following morning. It's light weight, quiet, super secure, and packs nicely. I wouldn't hunt with any other. jmo

5. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cantexian how do you like the platform of the summit do you wish it was larger?
    Seth how do you like the seat on the enforcer is it uncomfortable after sitting after several hours? Also I would like to see how you all attach a backpack to the climber if you have
    Thanks keep em coming

6. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will get a picture for you. The stand is very comfortable. I don't have a single issue with it. They do sell aftermarket stands that are paddy more but I don't feel the need to upgrade to it.

7. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Seth

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use my LW set and climb the most. If I'm going to be leaving it in one tree for a while I use my old API. Like setting in the recliner at home.

9. victoryhunter

victoryhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a summit open shot, it's lightweight and quiet. I mostly hunt public so I carry it in and out every time. I occasionally take a pack but I'm getting away from it. I take too much stuff that I don't even use half the time.

10. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a summit cobra.. Decently light weight, quiet, quick and easy to set up.. I hunt private land so I will leave my stand out all season and move it accordingly. I think the platform is plenty large enough especially if I slide the seat back which is also very easy and quiet.. Wouldnt hunt with any other climber.

11. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a couple pics of my stand with my day pack. I don't fold the platform section down, I leave it in it's working position so it's less to mess with when I get to my location. I have it all taped up to keep any noise to a minimum. Sorry for the sideways view, rotating didn't work.

Attached Files:

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use both a Lone Wolf handclimber and Lone Wolf Sit & Climb wide. They always come out with me every day. I have a carabiner on my backpack and I just clip it to the stand at the top and clip the bottom strap on the pack through the stand to keep it from bouncing. It works well for me.

13. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Summit Goliath for my climbing stand. I use gear ties to tie my backpack to my climber, works great!

14. jcz

jcz Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great!! Thanks guys I m going to purchase a stand from summit they all look the part once I get it Ill monkey with my pack. Thanks for the pics...
    Cheers

15. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Summit python, older version of open shot. I attach backpack to the back along with my hooyman. Use bungee cords to snug it all down and make quiet. Works well

16. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That platform size on the Summit is good to me. But I am not a very big guy at 5'8".

17. Sound Barrier

Sound Barrier Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 6'3" 190lbs and have used a climber for 6-7 years. I use it all season, as I do a lot of mobile hunting on state land and in other states where I am changing areas I hunt a lot. I also strap a backpack on the back with a lot of stuff in it.. all my gear plus camera equipment since I self-film. I do this with a heavy duty rubber strap with hooks on the end that I sound-proof. Seems to work well, but you wind up having up to 45lbs on your back depending. I've used summitt.. good solid stand, very comfortable seat, but about 3 years ago changed to a Lone Wolf sit and climb. I changed due to several reasons:
    1. sound concealment- the lone wolf is just less noisy when it contacts brush, etc., as well in the process of climbing and getting out/setting the cables/belts around the tree. By far less noisy which is top priority to me, and I think should be for serious hunters.
    2. Size/compactness: the lone wolf allows you to get it very flat and streamlined, and is less bulky to take in and out. It also is good for strapping a backpack onto.
    3. Tree size: the lone wolf system has more options for tree sizes with its notched belts, where summitt is in bigger increments. Sometimes you get caught "in between" sizes with the summitt (like being a size 12.5 shoe but they only make 12 and 13) and you don't feel/fit right on the tree.

That being said, the lone wolf has an uncomfortable seat, but was worth it to me for the other improvements. Its a lot of weight on your back with the pack as well, but it works well and if you don't film you can probably really reduce your pack or even just take a fanny pack with essentials. Hope that helps!

For more useful tips visit the weblink below my name here!

18. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've only had/use one climber, the original Ol' Man. I've tried others, but I've never found one as good. I do not pack in/out. Just too much to carry with a pack/stand/bow..... If I had to do that at my age, I'd probably quit.

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    All of the above is accurate. Yes, the seat isn't the most comfortable, but I still manage to do all day sits with it for a week straight. Tape that stand nicely and you're good to go. Like I said, I wouldn't hunt with any other stand. I forgot to mention, if you get the XL traction belts you can hook up to bigger diameter trees.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  20. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have found the best combination for the sit and climb is the slumper seat. These are photos when I was first trying it out so that hazmore was still on but the hazmore has now been taken off. The great thing about the slumper seat is you are able to push it out and lean way back like you can in a Summit Treestand. It is also stealthy quiet and you don't have to deal with a back rest. Here are a few photos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]