No more skunk!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Hillbilly Jedi, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last summer I passed on shooting a skunk in my backyard. I didn't want to stink up the neighborhood and two nights later my dog, a ruthless morkie let me tell you, found the wrong end. The skunk showed back up tonight for the first time since then, that I know of anyway. The Bowtech and a NAP Killzone smoked him. Now he's double bagged and in the back of my truck for disposal on the way to work in the morning. No stink either. Guess he didn't know what hit him! Glad there was a full moon cause I could barley see my peep and I LOVE the light up pins on my Trophy Ridge! Warming up for turkey season!!!

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Suicidal skunk for sure!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate when skunks decide to move in close to the house, they don't play well with dogs. I have grown to tolerate skunks they do me a favor every September when they dig out the ground bee nests. They seem to find every nest.

4. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Skunks are the worse! Glad you removed the problem!

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've live trapped two skunks in as many weeks. I've yet to kill one that didn't spray either. I always hook a cable to the cage on the lid end and drag it off away from the house and buildings, pop the little stinker and leave it a few days.

Dad always said you can run up on them and pick them off the ground by their tail and they can't spray once their feet are off the ground. I've never had the cojones to try it.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There was an article in fur fish and game years back about how to deal with a live trapped skunk. You hold a water hose up and make it rain over the live trap for some reason this was a distraction enough to sneak in with a 5' wood dowel hooked to a syringe filled with acetone that you put directly into a skunks lung and killing it instantly with no spray. Never tried it myself just sacrificed a little trap damage and sprayed the trap with buck shot a few times.

7. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, who wrote that Rube Goldberg?

8. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

I've always heard it said that if you grabbed them by the neck and got their FRONT feet off the ground they couldn't spray..........

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    ROFL, well unless both do work...someone is going to be a stinking SOB by the time that experiment is over. :lol:

10. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

I'll be the big man here and "let" you go first and see if it works!

(Let us know from behind your keyboard!)

11. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, let me check my schedule........hmm, looks like I'm booked up until 2099. I'll have to get back to you on those results.

12. elkguide

Dislikes Received:

Think of the service to all of mankind that you will be providing by answering the question................... "front or back?"

13. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've never heard any of that stuff nor have the balls to try it. Unfortunately my little dog won't remember last year and would have got sprayed again. I'm not going through that twice, no way! I've had raccoon's in my garage before too eating the cat food. I chased them around with my pellet gun and finally seemed to get rid of them. I tried trapping them at first but they were too smart for the traps. Wasn't playing with the skunk or trying the pellet gun. Wanted it done quick and easy. My dog stunk for a month and for 2 months after that, every time he'd get his face wet, the smell would come back.

Let me know if anyone decides to grab a wild one by the tail. I'd be interested to hear how that works out!

14. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I've had mixed results, a few scores and a few fat lips but they were all worth it. Oh wait...are we still talking about skunks?

15. mddave

mddave Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    holding a bed sheet spread out walk slowly to the trap. cover the trap with the sheet an it wont spray you. you can then pick the trap up and move to where ever you want. some people tie a rope to the trap an throw it in water for a little bit then dispose of the animal. ive also seen guys release the skunk from the trap with the sheet still on it.. skunk runs one way guy runs the other LOL.