What lessons did you learn from last season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by axtell343, Feb 16, 2016.

1. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all! I was just thinking over some of the things I learned this season, and trying to figure out how I can improve and better prepare next season. So I thought I would learn from all your experiences if I could.
    So what is the most important thing you learned this season and how will you improve for the next one?

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1) it's better to be in an itty bitty climber in a skinny tree on the downwind side of a heavily travelled trail than a recliner in the sky on the upwind side
    2a) it's easy to lead and then drop the hammer on a trotting buck at 20 yards- not so much at 35
    2b) that sinking feeling in your gut when passing a shot on the biggest buck of your life is not nearly as bad as the kick in the ballz feeling when you watch the fletchings bury right in his gut

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  3. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Working on the home made blind made out of a old tool shanty to make the windows a touch smaller. We have wide windows in the front and we got picked a few times in the blind due to the space and light coming into it. This will get fixed this season.

4. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I learned to be patient and wait for the opportune time to shoot

5. jwagn551

jwagn551 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you're at full draw 4 times on the same buck, you should've shot. Otherwise, why were you at full draw 4 times???

6. buckshank

buckshank Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Taking a climber and moving 3 acres from your hang on can open up a whole new world of hunting...move frequently don't get too hung up on a stand just because you see evidence of bucks

7. Talon_Ab77

Talon_Ab77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Relax, and don't rush yourself, wait for the right moment.

8. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have to penetrate the woods more and deeper. Unlike some hunting shows and videos, you can't sit on the edge of a field and see deer just walk up to you from across the field.

There are no bucks left....just does.

9. KSPrill

KSPrill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    1. Don't take your eyes off of a deer if you can help it. They can be tough to find again.
    2. Importance of low impact entry/exit.
    3. Watch your back trail.
    4. If you're provided with a shot you're confident in taking do it. I passed a doe at 25 yards because she was making her way to a spot that was 18 yards. She winded me in between spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Silence when setting up is very important.
    Always check your broadheads,just becauce you bow is paper tuned doesnt mean it will shoot broadheads.
    Go deeper into the woods.
    Pay attention to where deer are exiting/entering a field.
    Having a perfect wind in a hohum spot is better than having a iffy wind in a good spot.
    Ghillie suits are awesome.
    If your hunting from the ground make SURE that you have a good backdrop to break up your outline.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is this serious?

12. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    #1 thing I learned (and I unfortunately relearn it every year) is to hunt instinctively vice what is convenient. I was burned twice this year by going to my convenient tree with numerous shooting lanes vice moving over to a tree that is harder to hunt out of due to limited shooting lanes. Both days I had that nagging feeling in my head that I should have gone to the other tree...and both times a shooter passed that tree.

#2 thing I learned (relearned) is that I really need to save my leave up to maximize my time in the stand the first two weeks of November

#3 thing I learned is that there is no such thing as a bad day of hunting, every day in the woods is a gift that should be cherished

13. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1. If you get a 160 class buck on camera during daylight on public land get after him HARD right away before someone shoots him 200 yards away from your setup 10 days into season.

14. Obsessedarcher21

Obsessedarcher21 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I learned that I can't be afraid to leave an area just because I have buck on my camera in the middle of the night in a highly residential area. Need to be more open to trying new stand locations and different areas

15. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What I learned was hunt when the conditions are ideal and you'll see more deer, walking through corn planted on 12' centers sucks. Truth be told I try and learn something every time I'm out no matter how trivial it may seem it might mean success in the future.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just confirmed the importance of getting to your stand well before first light during the rut. On Nov 14 I was on my way to my stand site in the dark, still an hour before light, when I spooked 2 deer about 50yrds from my tree! I was bummed. It kind of surprised me they went different directions though. So, I get set up waiting for first light and I'm wondering if that might have been a buck tending a doe that I spooked? That could have been why they ran different ways?

Long story short, maybe 10 mins after it got light (literally) I saw a doe being chased by a buck about 30yrds out. She turns, runs right past my stand with the buck 20yrds behind her. He stops right in front of me, looks up for whatever reason, looks ahead at the doe again and the rest is his obituary. After thinking about this scenario, I am convinced these deer were the same 2 deer I spooked on my way into my stand in the dark. Had I come into the woods around first light I wouldn't have had that opportunity.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  17. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The lesson I learned is that it is not easy to kill a mature buck with a bow. I have learned this lesson many times in the past as well :)

18. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The lesson I learned is weather you think you know a piece of property like the back of your hand or not, take a look at an Ariel view. My bestfriend lets me hunt his property with him and has been hunted by his grandpa follow by dad and so on, by looking at an Ariel view I was able to find an incredible pinch on the far side of the farm and although I didn't kill a giant buck, I had one walk right under my stand at less then a yard. Needless to say it's all I'm thinking and dreaming about for late October early November.

19. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I learned that being unselfish and sharing your best spot with your buddy that's never got a deer before can make for some great times and better memories that will last a lifetime. Witnessed my friend shoot his first deer out of my ground blind while I sat at the base of a tree in the pouring rain 40 yards away and I have to say I think I was more excited that he got a deer more than he was. I learned that The moments you share with the people you hunt with are greater than any kill you'll ever have.

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of things changed for me this past season. I didn't harvest a deer this year but I can honestly say I had the best year I've had as far as deer sightings. Granted I could have shot multiple deer.
    Some of my better spots are changing and other hunters have kind of moved in to areas nearby and I'm pretty sure they are not going anywhere. I've said this to myself the past 2 years and never really did anything about it. As much as I don't like walking extreme distances to stands especially in the dark I have to get away from other people. I would honestly would rather not see a deer during a hunt but know that I had a chance because other hunters were not nearby. I hate having other people by me and it drives me crazy when other guys move in even if they know its being hunted. To me its unsportsmanlike and rude/disrespectfull.

As soon as the snow melts this year I'm going to do some extensive scouting and find me a few stands that are far enough into the timber where I know i'll be left alone.

Another thing is I know I have to get a few feet higher in the tree. Typically I would get in good cover usually but only be about 12-13 feet. After the leaves fell I saw deer but after looking up at my tree I had no backdrop and now I know why I got pegged on a couple occasions. Just turning my stand a little bit and getting a few feet higher should help out.

Cant wait for next bow season. I'm going to have my new Halon 6 that i'll practice with all summer and I'm going to hunt smarter. Be the guy who beats out the other guys moving in as i'll go where they wont go.