Is it worth it.....Am I Crazy!! to buy or not to buy!!

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Creeks, Feb 9, 2016.

1. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might wanna go with the cheaper cam so you can afford all the extras your gonna need like a shotgun mic a lanc controller ect ect ect into the thousands

2. Soggy McBottom

Soggy McBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would take a long look at Sony. Last I knew they film better in low light, generally speaking. Look for a low LUX number. Also like Skywalker said 4k is awesome but remember it will eat up 4xs the storage space that 1080 takes.

3. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank You Soggy, but I don't think for me at this time I would benefit from a 4K camera....But I'm still a little green on this Video stuff....But this is just mainly for my enjoyment of the outdoors and to get some Video of my experiences in the woods...
    Creeks

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not necessarily on the storage issue. My PXW-X70 records 1080 60p at 50 mbps. It will record 4K 30p at 60 mbps. That's actually only a 20% increase in the amount of storage needed to record 4K vs 1080. Some cameras record at a higher bit rate with less compression, but Sony does a really nice job compressing the data without losing quality with their XAVC-L codec. Their XAVC-S codec isn't quite as effective and requires the camera to record at 100 mbps which is basically double it's 1080 counterpart. I run 2 - 128 gb SDXC U3 cards in my camera and can record way more than I would ever need. I sort through and only keep the files I want when I put them into storage on two separate hard drives.

5. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased the canon hf vixia r600 and it works great. Only at 300$ it is on Campbell cameras. Like what Paul said you don't need the best of the best so I personally would look at a 300-600$ Price range for a starting camera.

6. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On that type of camera Jacob, how do you deal with no Lanc connector......So I guess you physically have to handle the camera to adjust the zoom in and out feature instead of using something like the Lanc connector where it's all at your finger tips...

What about a JVC...something like this if I decide to take this route....JVC GZ-R320BUS Quad-Proof HD Camcorder (Black) GZR320BUS B&H

THanks
    Creeks

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was ready to drop $1400 on a Canon XA10 until I got a look at the Panasonic HC-WXF991K 4K. It is a great deal on a 4K camera with a built in second camera.

8. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have you already gotten it....B&H says NEW ITEM COMING SOON.....yes...it does look like a killer deal for sure...Thanks for the heads up......
    Creeks

9. Jacob Neubauer

Jacob Neubauer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally do not mind having to do it that way because the camera is very small and fits easy in your hand, but yes if the camera could take one of those I would use it. I have no experience with JVC, I just see most hunt self filmers stay around the Canon or Sony.

10. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok.... Thanks Brother

11. filmalaska

filmalaska Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Get a decent tripod with a fluid head and keep your finger off the zoom when you're filming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk