Release?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunter18, Jan 27, 2016.

1. bowhunter18

bowhunter18 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I haven't been on in a while, schools been crazy and all. But I got a new bow after saving my money for quite a while (vector 32) and my release is very old and I'm looking to buy a new release to go along with my bow. I guess my question is what do people think of those thumb releases vs. the traditional type releases? I talked to my dad and he's real old school and was saying don't get a thumb release because you'll get arthritis. But on tv I see all the hot shots shooting them and never hear anything about arthritis. Also my buddy shoots one and says he's a lot more accurate than when he used his old traditional type release. So any input on which type of release is better would be much appreciated and also names of some releases If you don't mind. I have an old tru Fire release now and just looking to upgrade that's all. Thanks again!

2. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a Hot shot Vapor 4 thumb release. I just started shooting it about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I am more accurate and it feels natural. There are different types of thumb releases though. They have back tension thumb releases that shoot by the pressure from pulling back on the release and then they have just the trigger thumb releases. I personally don't reccomend the back tension release for hunting, however, they are supposed to be a whole lot more accurate. Hope this helps.

3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While I have thumb releases and I do shoot them well, when it comes to hunting, I'll stick with my Carter Quickie. A little bit expensive but you get what you pay for in precision and polish.

4. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea there's so many different types of really good releases and I have a box full of them from over the years ! What I suggest is go too your pro shop and try out a few and see what worx best for you! Good luck and good shooting :-)

5. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i tried a thumb release. i do like it. but it is a bit to much when it comes to hunting. so i went back to trigger.

6. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    easier to not punch the trigger with a good quality thumb release if you're using it right

7. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If possible, try a few different thumb releases. In so doing last year I found that the Hot Shot Vapor 4 finger worked and felt best for me. I will probably upgrade in the future. Just didn't want to start out with a pricey one and find I didn't care for a handheld.

8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have wondered about this for a few years myself. I feel like I punch my trigger release a lot.

9. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I am a trigger puncher as well. I dont try to change it. if it works for you dont fix it. You just have to know the difference between target panic and a controlled shot. There are guys that shoot pro competitions that are great archers and they punch it. its all about what works for you.

10. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh Im not sure it works for me well though. I mean as far killing goes, I get it done, but just shooting at the target Im a mess!!

11. Bryan Jeffrey

Dislikes Received:
    I PMed you. Id like to try and help you out in that area.