Flint Michigan, Highest per capita city in America to dead in 60 years

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Germ, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Flint is dead my friends, in 5 years it will be giant void in Michigan. The blame goes to all branches of the Government here, but I want to clear some items up first.

The move away from Detroit water was done to save money, the move was to go to Huron lake water. Flint City Council and the Mayor approved this move. The council voted 8-1 in favor of the move to Huron Water.

Flint is under the control of an Emergency Manger, because of the city debt. Some disagree with the bill passed by Synder for Emergency manager, but I support it. Because when a city goes Bankrupt, it's the state that is on the hook to pay the bill.

With that said, here's where it went bad. In 2013 there were plans to switch to Flint River, who knew what and when is where this gets murky. I believe they all knew.

The City is under control of Emergency Manager, and Ed Kurtz signed the approval to switch to Flint water. Now everyone in the state of Michigan knows Flint River water is corrosive, so corrosive GM refused to used it in their plants, so why our "experts" thought it would be same to drink is beyond me.

Who's at fault? Pretty much everyone, local government and state. Our Governor is a fault also, the EM report directly to him, and 10 people have died and who knows how many kids will be sick and the lasting issues people will have.

Kettering College is in Flint, I was there in December my daughter was competing in a Math contest. Kettering wanted her to come there, with a good chance at a Scholarship. I called them yesterday and withdrew her name, and I told her she would not be going to college anywhere near Flint.

There is not fixing this at all, unless all the pipes are replaced in Flint, Flint has 0 money to do. Ones the corrosion starts, the beast is unleashed.

FYI it's not just the people of Flint who were affected by this, my daughter really wanted to to school there.

FYI the EM that ran flint is now running the Detroit Public Schools, they will be next to go under.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Treatment of the water is in question too both in materials of construction and how the water was treated chemically. Not sure why HDPE was not used as pipeline material.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    and they still have to pay a water bill...

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have too many people crammed into cities. In fact, we have too many people in the US. We need to slow down and let the dust settle before continuing to build. But we as humans always think we are so damn smart and can out think all of natures variables with technology and backdoor deals. The results are starting to speak for themselves as our country erodes.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    100% blame to the unions.

6. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an uncle and several cousins that live in and around Flint. Bad situation for sure. For my own personal edification, Germ what is the source of the corrosive nature of the Flint river. Just wondering as there is treatment that we do with water all the time at my jobsite and we routinely treat for ph inbalances that are the causes most of our corrosive problems. Just curious.

7. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went to school at Kettering. That was 15 years ago though. It's only gotten worse since. There were places you simply didn't park your car, and that was only a few blocks near campus.
    I cant imagine why anyone would pull water from the flint for anything that has to do with human life. For that matter, why has their not been a big uproar by the EPA before now. We're talking years here.

Once big industry moved out, the town fell apart and big industry was bound to move out eventually.

At one point, I think about 5 years ago, 80% of the buildings in Flint were abandoned.

8. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't read anything on the cause, but my speculation would be years of factory pollution or runoff before any real testing or EPA checking was instilled.

9. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have made your bed, now lie in it.

Cheers

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With United Auto Workers and Municipal Unions.

11. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just curious here. From what I'm reading this is from a lead contaminant. So explain to me how it is that some simple water samples weren't taken that would indicate toxic levels of lead in the water system. I know for a fact that there are plenty of ways to measure the quality of water.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shame that most people don't fact check what Hillary or any other politician says.

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's truly insane how many people do this... Educated people at that.

16. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The city council never voted for flint water river, and they have zero control. They can vote no or yes all they want. They have no more power, via the Emergency Manager law.

read

Again it does not matter, Flint Government has no power to vote to order pencils.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    FYI this whole debacle started in 1960, when the Flint Mayor went to Jail, for buying land along lake st Clare, right where Flint was going to pump their water.

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now stop Germ are you saying that Michigan politics have been dirty for years?

19. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No way just ask Hoffa, if you can find him:)

Gov Rick still has major role in this debacle, but this was a debacle in the making for many years.

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO.
    Consider the pot stirred, Sir.

I'm from Flint. Left in 87 when dad had to follow GM to Indiana.

The place was already turning into a cesspool before GM shut down. The perfect storm of progressive politics, racially antagonistic policies, economic homogeny, and apathy.

I thank God we left. I went to safer schools and had more/better opportunities than my cousins who stayed in the area. Let's just say I'm better off than almost all of them.