345 fps is slow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Born2Hunt

Born2Hunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What bow do you have and what's your draw length and pounds you pulling back?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2. killer chill-r

killer chill-r Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got the Bear Arena 30. It's ibo is 345fps & it's shooting a 486gr 30" Wally World Pile Driver at 300fps. I have it set 30" 71#. Here's my target that hasn't been shot that many times. Making sure it was on at 20yrds with my Rage Hypo's. The set pushed through the target. I believe that's over kill, but who am I to say!!! ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1453522615.292893.jpg

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  3. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In an earlier post he said he is shooting a PSE Omen Max at 70 pounds with a 29 inch draw.

4. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My bow has an IBO rating of only 302 fps, a brace height of 8" and a 34" ATA.

Pathetic specs by current standards, apparently.

Tell that to the deer in my freezer.

Fast bow, slow bow, heavy arrow, light arrow, none of it matters when considered and compared individually. Archery is a system and a very personal system at that. Each archer needs to find their own balance between arrow weight, speed, comfort, etc.

I found out the hard way that the arrow setup for one bow doesn't automatically work for another bow regardless of what a chart might say.

One final point/opinion. In every thread or article I've read on the subject the topics that come up are KE, momentum, speed, weight etc. Someone always brings up accuracy as the top consideration.

The almost always overlooked factor that should be first on the list (maybe co-first with accuracy) is broadhead sharpness. An arrow is a cutting projectile not an impact and tear projectile like a bullet. The sharpness, cutting size, and style chosen in relation to bow specs has a lot more to do with a setup's hunting efficiency than a few fps or a little KE.

5. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My hunting rig shoots around 260 fps. It's also 12 years old.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bet you it hits where you aim it too. Cooter you get it no need to chase it with what "they" say. Nothing fancy just get it done.

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What really put it into perspective for me was I spent the last entire year shooting 48# recurve with 486 gr for about 175 fps. my compound probably shoots around 260-265 fps and it seems lightening fast compared to that recurve. It dawned on me that for 1000's of years man has killed animals with even less than 175 fps. Dead is dead no matter the speed. I just do not understand the speed mentality. Speed has been a deal breaker or maker in this industry for the past 15 years. Guys want their bow to shoot X amount of fps or they will not have it. They can drive tacks with it and yet not want it if it doesn't meet X standard. They will go buy a bow that is 30-40 fps faster and not hit the broadside of the barn, but dang that bow and arrow sure misses the target fast!

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Me too. I had one on my Jennings bow.

9. CLG73

CLG73 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Archery is a beautiful thing if done right. I have been shooting since I was 12 years old. I am 42 and I shoot a vary fast Bow with a very short brace height and it is very accurate for "me". It really does not matter the speed of your bow if it tuned right and you know your own limitations.
    Knocking speed or traditional only shows your prejudice for one or the other. I can shoot next to a buddy shooting a recurve or long bow and be impressed with his accuracy without a pin just as he can be impressed with the speed and accuracy of mine. Just shoot for the love of the sport and get good with what you are comfortable with. And you will be successful.
    A Harley or a Croych Rocket get you from point A to Point B and both riders love the sport for their own reasons. Neither is wrong.

Sent from iPhone

10. Bowhunter_IL_BT

Bowhunter_IL_BT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never shot one of the new Impulse bows yet but heard they are putting out good speeds. My E32 is getting 290 fps at 26.5 in DL. I am plenty happy with the speeds I am getting for a so called Slow Elite bow.

11. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you actually chrono it in 290s? that is crazy fast for that bow and your specs. I had an E32 27" draw with a 398 gr arrow and I did run it through a chrono once and got 275 fps. which is plenty fast for my taste. The shop wanted to see the how fast it would fling an arrow because I was the first person to buy an E32 at that shop. They were impressed.

12. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. I went to three different archery calculator sights, put in my bow/arrow specs and got three different results for what my arrow speed is. Rounded off to the nearest whole numbers, I got 2 matching results and one odd one.

The results were 249, 253, and 253 fps. I would love to shoot through a chronograph to see how accurate their math is.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  13. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am not a speed freak and certainly don't buy any bow based on that spec alone. However, if I can get the additional speed from a specific bow vs another for a relatively "low cost", all other things about the two bows being equal; why not?

Flatter trajectory helps. Just ask many western hunters. For whitetails, its not really a big concern at relatively short ranges/known distances (usually). I believe there are stark differences between what say a mule deer or elk hunter needs on typical spot and stalk style hunts and what a whitetail hunter needs in mostly treestand hunting.

That being said, there is another reason that I try to get more speed out of a specific bow/setup. Less pins. I don't like moveable sights as its too much to worry about for me. I stick with fixed pins. So, I try to minimize the number of pins I have to get me out to 40 yards. This off season, I am going to experiment with reducing my pin number from 3 to 2 pins. My bow is certainly not a speed demon; Bowtech Experience at 63lbs with a 450gr arrow. But its right around the 280 mark. Plenty fast enough and perhaps flat enough shooting to remove another pin. I played with the idea last summer a bit. I get only 3" of drop from 20-30. So I should be able to cover anything inside of 30 yards with a single pin. 30-40 should be relatively similar.

14. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot to about 27 yards with one pin. Hold a tad bit high for 30. Im not sure how fast my bow is, somewhere in the 265 range I assume. Hunting here in the southeast I can count on my hand how many I have killed past 25 yards. I shoot one pin and limit myself to 30 yds. Western bowhunters do benefit from speed from trajectory stand point. with that said, for an average bowhunter, I really don't see the benefit in shooting over 300 fps. Or I should say striving to break that mark to the point one gives up all other benefits. I used to be that guy. I then realized I couldn't shoot very well chasing the speed game. Even when I did hit the 300 mark, I still only had one pin to 30 yards. So it was no benefit for me. Deer can easily jump the string at 350 fps as well as they can 250.

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I can shoot to about 27 yards with one pin. Hold a tad bit high for 30. Im not sure how fast my bow is, somewhere in the 265 range I assume. Hunting here in the southeast I can count on my hand how many I have killed past 25 yards. I shoot one pin and limit myself to 30 yds. Western bowhunters do benefit from speed from trajectory stand point. with that said, for an average bowhunter, I really don't see the benefit in shooting over 300 fps. Or I should say striving to break that mark to the point one gives up all other benefits. I used to be that guy. I then realized I couldn't shoot very well chasing the speed game. Even when I did hit the 300 mark, I still only had one pin to 30 yards. So it was no benefit for me. Deer can easily jump the string at 350 fps as well as they can 250.

16. Rangerdan

Rangerdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Surely the 345FPS must be a typo. I dont even think Elite makes a bow that shoots IBO over 340, do they?
    Besides the point. I was chatting to a archer at my local bow shop yesterday after flinging some arrows down range. He was shooting a Bowtech 350 and I mentioned switching arrows. He asked me how much I get through the Chrono with my 460grain Eastons, I said 285 and he laughed. Some people are obsessed with speed and I just dont get it. I've killed 4 deer this season, all pass through's. I dont need to be shooting 300 to kill a deer. Could I be shooting lighter arrows and getting better speeds? Sure, then I'm sacrificing my KE and momentum after impact. I think Elite has got it right, Its more about the shootability and less about the speed, although I'm sure some will argue this, its just my opinion.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No offense to anyone but when they scoff at speeds in the 280s or less I simply stop talking and ignore them.

18. Bryan Jeffrey

Bryan Jeffrey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. yea. I shot recurve for 6 years before coming over to the dark side a year and a half ago. my first compound was IBO 315. Holy hell. I could not believe how fast it was. Now im shooting a bow that it 333 ibo. I didnt buy it based on the speed. I bought it for the ATA(I needed a taller bow.). But i could never see way someone would pick a bow that has a IBO of 360, over something that is 320 if that is all it offers. Maybe i could see it if you have a short draw and low poundage. it could help with your trajectory, but thats about it. I know my wife needs a faster bow. poor girl can only get 3 pins on here sight. hopfuly the hoyt defiant turbo will help her out.

19. illinibowhunter

illinibowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no clue how fast my bow shoots. When comparing it to my first hand me down now that literally lobbed arrows I know this one is much faster but I could care less about the actual number

20. CLG73

CLG73 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Apeed itself is not the most important component of your setup but it is a key component in verifying you KE. It is important to know where you are at in arrow weight, speed to determine if you should or should not be using a fixed blade broadhead or if you can consider a mechanical and what cutting diameter is appropriate for your setup.

Sent from iPhone