Mathews Halon

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Zac Schuster, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Zac Schuster

Zac Schuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A few episodes ago I noticed, Justin had used his new Mathews Halon and killed a doe. I shot one a couple weeks ago and loved it. Im in pursuit of buying a new well deserved bow. Any opinions on the Halon? Good and bad? Thanks.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't fit me well but that's just me and what my hand like.

3. ruteger

ruteger Guest

-

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2020
  4. Zac Schuster

Zac Schuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  5. Bow Duke

Bow Duke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot it a few times now and loved it--love the smooth draw, quiet, and clean shooting. I ordered a Halon 6, which should be in in a couple weeks.

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot it a few weeks back and I loved it. I have never been a fan of Dual Cam bows, but this one is awesome. Smooth draw, solid back wall. The cam is not jumpy and it was dead quiet when I shot it. I ordered a black one with red accessories. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

7. rockinrod12

rockinrod12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It really is a great shooting bow. I was set on getting it after shooting it and several other brands. I didnt shoot the no cam htx initially but thought to be fair I should. After shooting the htx I bought one in black tactical. Its slower but it just felt better than everything else.

8. lgreenslade3

lgreenslade3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_0695.jpg Love mine!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  9. Zac Schuster

Zac Schuster Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shot one this past weekend. Thought it was decent. decent draw, just ok valley, wasn't nuts about the back wall. It was soft on the shot and pretty dead in the hand. Held well at full draw... Minus the back wall. Fit an finish was very nice.
    The bow itself felt clumsy, chunky grip, huge cams and short stubby limbs. Heavy and No flow to it at all, wouldn't want to cart it around with me in the woods.
    Not the best 2016 offering and not the worst....

11. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So yeah, I have shot this bow twice at the shop already and I am completely blown away by how nice it shoots. I think yesterday's shots with it sealed the deal that I will have to get one. It's actually all I can think about at the moment.

12. sethallphin

sethallphin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the opportunity to shot the halon and htx and the halon is quick, dead in hand, and are flying off the shelves. Here in a few years the resale value will be much higher than the htx. However, the htx shoots like a dream. I am torn between the two.

13. Chef Nerd

Chef Nerd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I loved how dead in the hand it was too! I agree with others that the draw cycle starts stiff, but as with Justin I like this. I would rather the cycle be "stronger" at the beginning when I have the most leverage on my draw.

The back wall with 85% let-off are very comfortable to hold and because of the cam arrangement the letdown is extremely easy for me.

I will be ordering the Halon 7 in the near future.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  14. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just put my order in for the Halon 6 last night. I was told that I wouldn't get it until most likely March sometime as Mathews is so far behind. Is this normal? I've never heard of having to wait 2-3+ months to get a new bow. Doesn't bother as I don't really need it until April to practice for turkey hunting.

My thoughts, definitely like it a lot. I like that its a tad shorter than the HTR that I had. My HTR was a awesome bow and was a blast to shoot at the range but up in a treestand it just seemed a tad too long axle to axle for me. I'm a shorter guy so maybe that is why. I think the draw was very very similar to my HTR but just a tad tougher in the first 2-3 inches of draw. Back wall was the same as my HTR. I think this bow will fit me much better. The added bonus of more power is going to be pretty sweet too. I think i'll gain about 20 fps.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  15. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't know that the wait was that long either. I will have to stop in at my shop this weekend and see. It may be worth it to have it on order and when it comes in, the income tax should be following closely behind.

16. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't had the opportunity, or maybe I should say time, to shoot the new Mathews bows. I hope to make some time soon and give them a try!

17. jaydon691

jaydon691 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own 2 Chill R's and have shot the Halon 6. Be honest, my Chill R's shoot faster and stronger. I have 85% Rock mods in both of them which give them a solid back wall. The Halon is heavier and as others have said, more stiff in the beginning of the draw but it is smooth and quiet. I have 1 of my Chill R's up for sale on here if interested. It is basically brand new as I bought it for my son who just couldn't find the time to hunt because of school. I am keeping the other because I like the speed, accuracy and how whisper quiet they shoot.

18. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    i have one on order.. prob mid feb though.. ordered they day the dealer got it in... small town pro shop... ugh
    I ordered the 7"

19. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love my Halon 6

20. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's ya'll take on the string angle, I heard that has been a knock on the bow, was looking to pick one up also...