Draw length help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Whitetail_Stalker, Dec 26, 2015.

1. Whitetail_Stalker

Whitetail_Stalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi guys,

So if my draw length is 25.5 and i am 14 and still growing what module should i buy for my 70lb Bear Element? also do you think i will still be able to get a draw weight of 70lbs at that draw length? Btw I just started shooting with a compound (used to hunt with a recurve) so I dont know much about compounds. Thanks for the help!

Haven

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Would love to help you out but I have no idea how much you are going to grow next year.
    You must be a pretty strong 14 year old to be drawing 70#. Especially if you are just starting to shoot a compound.
    There are a lot of variables that without asking you a million and a half questions, I might steer you in the wrong direction.

The first and best thing that I can suggest would be to go to a good bow/pro shop and work with them.

3. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Draw length doesn't affect draw weight. If it has 70 pound limbs, it will pull 70 pounds regardless of draw length.

Get the module you need now. Being it's an older model bow, if you can get your hands on a couple different modules now, it may be a good idea to do so being as time goes by, getting those modules can become more tough.

4. Whitetail_Stalker

Whitetail_Stalker Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, is it possible to adjust the draw from 29 to 26 without buying a module?

5. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Probably be best to hop on the Bear website and download the Manual.

6. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the best advice. I do believe if you have a bow at full draw length (30"we'll say) aand peak weight (70lbs, i know some are less) you weight should pull to 70lbs or very close. If you reduce your draw length that far it will reduce your pull weight because your not getting that full cycle out of your cams/limbs. I shoot a elite synergy 65lb limbs and 27" draw and limb bolts are tightened and i only get 63lbs

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry, but if your bow is in spec with the cables and string at the correct length, also you ATA, brace hightand tiller. You will/ should get the proper draw weight regardless of your draw length proving your bow had interchangeable modules or a rotating mod on the cam.

No sense putting out incorrect information, as the Internet is already full of it.

8. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is information from an elite rep. Maybe this just apply to module cam bows?
    If he's wrong i guess i need them to look at my brand new bow cause somethings wrong lol. Incorrect is a matter of opinion in a lot of cases too. I trust the person who gave me this information, been in the business for a long time

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  9. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned a about 20 elites total, and set up probably another dozen or so over the years for other people.
    You have incorrect information, I don't care if Pete himself gave it you.
    If put that bow in spec and the limbs are the correct deflection I can get peak weight out of any mods set. You need to install the mods and THEN put the bow into spec.

10. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guess i need to make a phone call lol

11. trial153

Dislikes Received:

where do you live?

12. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nova scotia. Limbs and leaves sports is where i got the info. Got the bow and inquired about it only reaching about 63.5lbs said he asked the rep and thats the answer i got. He's been in business 30years or something. Lol took it for granted he knew what he was talking about

13. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    The resone your under weight is because they installed the mods but don't put the bow back into spec.
    If you were close by I would fix you right up.

Here is the process. You install your mods. Tighten your limbs bolts all the way back down after.
    Then you adjust you ATA to spec by twisting ( or untwisting) your cables. Do the same with the string for your draw length. Make sure it's right a 27". Make sure your tiller is even also.

Now if your under draw weight put equal twists in both cables till you bring it up. If your too much over peak weight then remove an equal number of twists.
    Most elites will max out about a 1-3 pounds over peak weight.

After your draw length is set, your ATA is set and your draw weight is set. Then you can start tuning the bow.

That's the process, it takes longer to type then to do.

14. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If i adjust my ATA by twisting the cables and get that set and the adjust my draw weight with the cables am i not going to change my ATA?

15. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    You will slightly. However most times it's less the 1/4 inch in either direction. Buy setting the ATA it gives you a baseline to start with. If you follow me.

16. trial153

Dislikes Received:
    Also I should have stated that when you change mods, and then get the bow back to the Spec ATA most cases your dam close to draw peak weight or slightly over already.

17. JLhunts

JLhunts Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info man I'll let ya know what i end up with