Easton Hexx or Da'Torch

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Riverduck11, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Riverduck11

Riverduck11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can anyone on here that shoots these arrows let me know how they have penetrated on Whitetails. I like the idea of speed and minimized arrow drop, just want to make sure the KE and momentum lost will not not effect penetration too negatively.

2. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can't help you on whitetails, but I can for elk. Shot a large cow (size of medium size bull) this past Sept with a 28" 330 HEXX - total arrow weight was 400 grs and 16% FOC (304 fps at the bow) at 27 yards. Arrow zipped right through her and have no idea where it (the arrow) went. She piled up 100 yds later with a high lung shot.

Something tells me you won't have any issues with a little more speed on whitetails, so go for it. The KE and Momentum, for what it's worth, on the arrow described above is 84.7 and .5484, respectively, at the bow.

3. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot the da' torch and they were very accurate but I've never shot a deer with them. They're both the same shafts with different wraps and the da' torch has a x nock and a bushing. If you want to use them for whitetails they would be great especially if you put a 50 grain brass insert in them. I might get them and put a brass insert in them when I run out of my gold tips.

4. Riverduck11

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for some perspective guys. I have been shooting the Bloodline with a 75 grain break off brass insert. It is right around 465 grains with 17% FoC. I would be able to drop 60 to 70 grains and pick up approximately 18 fps with a switch to the Hexx.

5. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since those shafts are so light I would break off the end of the brass inserts so it's only 50 grains. That would be a but load of foc on those light shafts. I wouldn't recommend going much higher than 16% foc even though some people swear by it, I like to stay between 10%-15% but it's just personal preference. I'm running just under 13% with a 391 grain arrow and I had no problem going through the shoulder of a doe with a big three blade mechanical, it even stuck several inches into the ground.

6. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep to all the replies - that is why I switched to the HEXX shafts. A much lighter arrow to begin with allows to achieve a higher FOC easier. I use a 50 gr brass insert and 100 gr tips/broadheads for the 16%.

The Da'Torch was a little more expensive and didn't need to worry about a Bone Collector logo...

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the HEXX 330 at 28 inches with a 50 gr insert 100 gr broad head at 420 grain total wt. around 289 ft per sec at 70 lbs out of a Mathews Chill R. This setup as been awesome on whitetail. Hope to test this on mule deer in the next two weeks :bow:

8. BennettallicA

BennettallicA Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the Da' Torch for 2 years and absolutely love the arrow. I could truly do without the dumb name and royalty check to the Waddell bank account. I switch out the Easton Aluminum inserts for the Easton 75gr brass inserts to increase the mass up front and I put Nockturnals in lieu of the factory Easton nocks. The arrow is solid and durable. Flies great and hits like a Norfolk Southern 4 engine freight train loaded with lead bars doing 280 fps.

I shot a doe this year at 35 yards and hit her perfectly. Complete pass through and the arrow was nock deep into the ground on the other side of her. If it weren't for the Nockturnal glowing under the top layer of the bean field it would have never been found.

I shoot a 65 LBS draw weight bow with 30.5 draw length.

Broadheads are G5 Striker 100gr fixed blade.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, The Hexx is probably the most overlooked, under rated shaft I wouldn't think twice buying these.

10. ath1089

ath1089 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just a little input on this my fiancé's dad which has been bow hunting for 30 years now and lost a buck at 14yrds the other morning using Easton da torch arrows and to be fair I dont know about where arrow placement was so take that for what it is.

11. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what the gpi is on these arrows. But I hunted with light speeds for the longest time. No KE issues at all.... shot my biggest deer with them. Quartering away with a pass through....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It wasn't the arrow, he made a bad shot obviously or he wouldn't have lost the deer.

13. Riverduck11

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys. I will be building a few in the offseason!

14. PSEHunter79

PSEHunter79 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just buy the nfused axis? 340 spine at 9.5gpi - 125 grain head... decent overall weight...

My arrows are right around 435 grains now foc a tad below 13%

15. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the specs on the HEXX, I would spine up, dump a 75 grain brass insert in...slap on a 125 grain solid and kill some stuff !