Wild hog problem

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin21, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have started seeing some hogs on my place, it started as 1 then 2-3 now up to 10 or so at a time on camera. Obviously I would shoot them if I could but I have never seen them during daylight hrs, does anyone have any good ideas of how to kill them or get them off my place?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha, no...if you find something useful let me know. We have a part of the ranch here that's loaded with them and no one can do squat about it though the USDA has been trying they just can't kill enough of them to make a dent. They're going to cover this part of the country pretty damn soon if they don't get their crap together and approve poison bait stations. They'll wait until it's too damn late for that to even fix it before they finally decide to allow it...typical.

3. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I seen some stuff called HOG GONE I believe is the name it's a poison but I can't find anywhere to buy it

4. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know where you're at but most states consider them pest. So no limits on bagging or way of control. Night hunting is an option if you're not seeing them during light. Soured corn works great. Check your state laws.

5. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    They are considered a nuisance animal here so there is no season and no bag limit however poisoning them is not legal if caught. The problem is you just can't kill enough of them to get rid of them, they reproduce too fast and are too hardy. My fields over on that farm look like a disk was run around over them, it's crazy how much damage they can do.

Hog Gone is a poison I believe made out of Sodium Nitrite, pretty sure it's the one I looked at as well they are using in Australia but the USDA refuses to approve it for use here in the US. If they were on my private property I might consider making my own poison, legal or not but I wouldn't dare try it given the circumstances. USDA would probably catch me and put me so far back they'd have to pipe daylight to me.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are smart too. They aren't quite in my neck of the woods yet but it won't be long. They thrive better than coyotes. It will take disease to wipe them out or at least put a dent in them. No predator will mess with them they are just too tuff. I saw a video of Bengal Tigers that were afraid of hogs.

7. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess for now I'm gonna try shooting them at night

8. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard they will scare the deer off that's what I am worried about most.

9. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The one's we have will run the deer away from the feeders but otherwise they all share the farm. I've not noticed any drop in deer numbers there but then again there are deer and hogs all over that area so where would they go, ha.

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

Start as soon as you can getting rid of them. Hunt at night, dogs, whatever is legal.

Covey, I had no idea there were hogs in your area. That sucks. I hate them.

11. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Check out Wicked Lights and/or Illusive Wildlife Technologies websites. They're geared towards this stuff. My friend has a ton on his property, we all went out and got red and green lights....it's been a lot of fun

12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I know, it's kind of odd but they are here on both sides of my area actually. Had them southeast of here about thirty miles away for about six years. We don't have any here where I live (that I know of) but that farm is just 35 miles to my southwest and the word is they are expanding rapidly across country. I expect to start encountering a few here within a year or two if not sooner. Word has it that in both areas, they were started by people for sport hunting, no idea if that's true or not but if it is I hope those folks get what's coming to them at some point.

I'll check that out!

13. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have a friend that uses motion detectors at night hooked up to buzzers with stations and lights to tell him where to go at night on lease. Only problem is cleaning them sincee it is about 2 am when they come in. We also shotgun hunt in off season.It is a blast

14. MAD 6

MAD 6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I saw a big trap/pen for sale, you set up a camera and when there is activity you get a text message and then have the option of dropping the pen on the horde. Where do you live? I would be more than happy to come over and shoot some pigs for you.

15. Justin21

Justin21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Central Oklahoma, land is in caddo county.

16. G-Street

G-Street Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Rogers, AR. I'd love to come kill some hogs for you. I've been looking around in Arkansas but most people want to charge $300 or more........to kill a pest......I'm not interested in that. No one pays me to bowfish Gar, why would a wild hog be any different? Are they any good to eat by chance?

17. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Make some traps. Traps hunt 24/7.

18. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That is very true. Here in NW Louisiana and East Texas where I hunt, they have infested the area. I've heard of the Hog Gone mentioned by Justin21. That stuff can kill anything that eats it, so it needs to be put in a special feeder that uses a root type door to keep out non target animals. There was a study conducted by the University of Texas and Oklahoma University that used non-processed cotton seed. They mixed it with corn and put it out for the pigs to eat. It becomes toxic during the digestion process and causes their blood to not carry as much oxygen which in turn kills them. Sounds pretty painful. There are several other ways to control them. Trapping, snares, dog hunting, night hunting, etc, but if you don't get rid of them all, then they will just keep breeding. A sow that is born in January can have its first litter by April, and have two or three litters by the end of the year. I have been hunting feral hogs for over 20 years, and let me tell you, they are definitely a formidable and intelligent foe.

19. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I personally use a combination of hunting, snares and corral type traps to catch hogs. I have caught more hogs in snares than every other method combined. They get trap smart after a while. I have caught/killed 82 hogs this year so far. 15 in traps, shot 7 while hunting and the rest were caught in snares.

20. navysubnuke

navysubnuke Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I buy my hog hunting lights from customlites.com
    http://customlites.com/Hog-Varmint-Hunting_c28.htm
    I use the red for yotes and the green for the hogs. Your best bet is to buy or make some snares if they're legal where you are. Watch some youtube videos on how to set them up properly and how to not catch deer in them. Run the snare lines every other day when its cold and every day when temps are 70F or above.