***The Mighty Bucks - Team 14***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by ATbuckhunter, Aug 16, 2015.

1. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Plant a big one...that's all the advice I could come up with I'm a die hard bowhunter, but I always end up really enjoying a good shotgun hunt or two every year. I don't know why, other than I love being in the woods, maybe that's all it needs to be for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it's anything like shotgun season in MN; don't get shot!

3. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is!!! I'll be on private land, but it's always safety first. I won't shoot over about 40 yards, so I'm just playing this like an archery hunt.

4. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so! Not the biggest buck I've shot but I'm happy to have harvested it.

Airen- Don't forget to wear blaze orange! Most important thing is to be safe. Gun hunting isn't all that different from bowhunting with the exception of longer shots and the loud bang. One thing you can do now is a light drive by just bumping deer towards an area. I've never done them but i have had people accidentally scare deer to me. Stalking deer is also easier, if you wanted to do that.

5. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot straight and don't forget to have one in the chamber once you get to your stand :tu:

6. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    A girl on my work crew found this shed today. 69.5" of massiveness in my collection now!

20151203_200331.jpg 20151203_200455.jpg
    20151203_200201.jpg

7. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Since it is shotgun season here in IL again this Thu, Fri, Sat, and Sun I have picked up the gun for some waterfowl hunting. I have filled both shotgun deer tags. I went out yesterday and shot my first ever Green Winged Teal. He is a really cool looking drake so he will be added to my wall of fame!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! Shot one here about a week ago I have in the freezer contemplating mounting too!

[​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

9. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one! Mine must be younger since he does not have the black Mohawk at the back of the head. Now I just need my first band. LOL

10. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Ten years of waterfowling for me and 3 honker bands. Been apart of about a dozen hunts with bands. All honkers and snows; no ducks.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

11. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    I went out with the shotgun this morning, but I didn't really see anything. I jumped a buck before even getting into the woods and pics show I pushed a group of does off the bait pile as I walked in. Oops!

All of my trail cam pics have been at night since gun season started. This "decent" new buck showed up though, along with a super late fawn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet looking buck!

Got out today and I didn't even see anything close to a deer. Quick look at the trail cam relieved a group of doe like to come around 4pm with a couple small bucks but I decided to back out at 12 and not take any of these doe. Population took a real hit this year so I made the decision not to take a doe from this property if i can help it. I made the trip to my grandparents property only to realize I had no ladder to get into my stand. Well I decided I wanted to hunt so I took the rope I used to hang the stand and climbed up the tree that way...Not the most fun way but it wasn't all that bad in the daylight. Well after finally getting into the stand I looked at the trails that ran through the golden rod looked like a bulldozer ran through them. My suspicion that the deer would be pushed from the pressured land onto this un-pressured land was true! I felt pretty good when I I saw that only to be severely disappointed once the golden hour arrived. Not only did the neighbor decide to try to cut a tree down 70 yards away, a couple teens tried walking past my stand (same trail I shot the buck during bow season) and had an older couple walk their dogs on the property about 50 yards away where the deer like to come during the afternoon. I was able to tell the kids not to walk on the property till after deer season for safety reasons since obviously people trespass there quite often but the older couple disappeared when they saw my stand. Not a single thing seen all day, but I still had a fun day. Next week is the last week of rifle season so ill be taking the bow and gun out Saturday. Not sure how many days ill hunt after rifle season ends. Sorry for the long read, but I couldn't help it.

13. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still at it once in a while as well. I saw a big one the other evening across the field, hunted that spot this evening and saw a dozen deer but no shooters. I'll keep trying.

14. ATbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck out there! You'll get your shooter.

15. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know I am wishing really hard since this is my 2nd year waterfowl hunting. I have been a die hard bow hunter since 1996 and said I would never waterfowl hunt since it would take away from my bowhunting. I really enjoy the waterfowl hunting a lot. HE HE HE

16. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be at it till I can put a wall hanger on the wall or the season ends. I have one buck left to get if the good Lord will bless me other wise I will take another doe for meat. I also have does tags left also so they are still in the hunt also.

17. airenlow

Dislikes Received:
    Google Earth updated...120 yards East of my main farm.

18. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:

There's pretty much nothing better than walking up to a bird, or a dog bringing a bird back with a band shining in the sun!

19. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out in the deer stand tomorrow to try to get my HOSS! He made it through the gun season so I hope that he gives me a chance with my bow. Going to swap my memory cards in my cams too just to see what the gun hunters pushed my way.

20. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, went out this morning with no luck! Did not even see a deer. Tomorrow to Sunday is the Muzzleloader Season so I will be out with my bow in orange. I have a buck that I have not seen all year nor have I got any trail cam pics or videos of UNTIL NOW. He is still alive and I think he would look GREAT on my wall. Here are some of him plus another buck that has been hanging out and still kicking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]