Crossbow hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Nov 21, 2015.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is this sarcasm, or do you have info to back up such an outlandish statement? lol

2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just showing how outlandish the debates always are.

If a gun or crossbow turns every hunter into an unethical slob than obviously it's the weapon that makes the hunter.

Was sarcasm at its fullest, just love how all gun kills are 300 yards shot through cigar smoke and crossbows must turn all deer into Hellen Keller's.

3. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I don't get the CB/Helen Keller connection? lol

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can't shoot them at 300 yds so the crossbow must make the deer blind and deaf to come in close enough for a kill.

I wouldn't shoot mine past 40yds, same distance I would my bow. But I also have an entry level bow as it wasn't planned to be crossbow this year.

5. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to buy a crossbow. Spent some time shooting one a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. My wife also shot it and shot it well and stated she could see herself using it to hunt with. I was almost blown over. That's the first time she's ever indicated any interest in hunting. If it gets people interested and in the woods I have no issues with it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. buckhunter1

buckhunter1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you use a crossbow you might as well use a gun!

7. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to think this, but it simply isn't true. Any one who serously thinks so either hasn't shot a crossbow or hasn't shot a gun.

8. BuffaloBill

BuffaloBill Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I see them as a disadvantage. My brother uses one because of a back injury. They are legal during archery season in IN now. They used to only be legal during firearms except for those with medical reasons. My brother has a Ten Point and it is heavy and you are not going to get a second shot off very quick. Not to mention kind of awkward to carry. For what my brother paid for his I could get a top of the line Hoyt or Mathews.

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    I've never needed a second shot using my CB, but you can pretty much forget about getting that chance.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure everyone here knows my stance on crossbows :lol:

My feeling on the stance that they bring out slob hunters earlier is this; slob hunters are going to be in the woods regardless of weapon choice. There are guys who pick up their 20 year old compound for the first time on opening day and head to the woods after screwing some new broadheads onto their arrows without ever shooting them. These are the "It was getting pretty dark so I'm not sure where I hit the deer" types that we all know. You don't see legions of "bowhunting organizations" out there lobbying against their right to go into the woods and act like idiots. I would personally rather see those types of folks toting a crossbow which can provide greater accuracy with a lesser amount of skill from the shooter.

Just my .02. Crossbow haters gonna hate no matter how many times we make it painfully obvious their misguided ideals are fueled by their own ignorance and selfishness. :tu:

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows on a bench rest are far more accurate than a vertical bow. No argument.

But until you actually get in a stand under a hunting situation, the assumption of ease will always be just that. Assumption.

It is so much more awkward to hang or hold while on stand, maneuver if you have any sort of outline break up branches and all that extra weight out front does have big target holding implications.

You don't get shooting rails on most hang ons and ladder stands, so the theory that it's easy isn't all it is cracked up to be.

I think the advantages in a lot of situations are neutralized by the disadvantages. While if you have a blind or ladder stand set up with a shooting rail for a crossbow it can be easier, go borrow a crossbow and give it awhirl from your normal stands you would vertical bow hunt from.

It's not all it is cracked up to be. I personally don't care for it, if I could go back to a bow and finish my season with it I would. Tearing my shoulder in July and grtting a disability permit in late August didn't leave a whole lot of time for the October opener.

For those that say it is OK if you are disabled or ederly is a cop out, no more, no less.

Most against it have never sat in a tree with one to compare their views. It's not what you think.

Box blinds have a far bigger advantage to hunting than a crossbow does.

12. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So much of this is great....I would have left out the lazy generalization, however...
    If you use a compound, you might as well us a crossbow....I am betting you are under 20..
    Great post

13. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh I really hesitated on that one Tony. However, the guys that hunt the same area/land as me were the ones I was talking about. And they actually would agree with me. They said they were too lazy to practice shooting and they wanted to spend the least amount of time in preparation. I actually applauded their honesty. Again, I have no issue with the weapon, or those who use them. Doesn't affect how I hunt.

14. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My biggest issue with many xbow hunters is many believe they can shoot out just like a rifle. I can't say how many times I've been at a sporting goods store and some idiot comes up and goes in going to get a xbow because I can shoot a deer at 100 yards. I have actually told several that is mostly myth and you actually looking at an effective range of maybe 40-50 yards if your good with it and practice. Might push more on the bench and practice. Usually this is the day before season starts mind you. They usually don't mind me and proceed to buy the cheapest crossbow that's mostly made of plastic the cheapest bolts and cheapest heads and expect it to shoot descently.

15. dirtnap3185

dirtnap3185 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Everything up until the shot is the same, the execution of the shot just takes less skill with a crossbow than it does with a vertical

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If legal, go for it. Me personally...I have no desire for it. However, I know someday when my shoulders start to go I'll grab one...shoot we have a ground blind that is near impossible to draw compound in and already thinking about shooting a crossbow. Getting the deer in close is the challenge either way.

Like Heckler said, the issue is rarely the weapon, it is the people using them. It doesn't take long for "gunslingers" to realize a crossbow bolt doesn't like twigs and grass :D

17. gdatre

gdatre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally use both. I like to harvest at least one deer with the crossbow and one with the bow each year. Both require the most important aspect of hunting and that is scent control and getting the deer within 35 yards. I get the same thrill out of both of them whether trophy hunting or putting meat in the freezer.

18. smctitan

smctitan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are legal here in MD and I'm glad it is because it allows my brother and I to hunt together. He has owned compound bows before trying to get into the sport but never cared for them. He would go out for shotgun and black powder but never for archery. I convinced him to get a crossbow and we've hunted several times together this year. He's not a slob Hunter by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows are archery. Crossbow hunting is not bow hunting. You want to use a crossbow...have it.

20. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like said, it is all about how much challenge you want. I never hunted with xbow. Don't appeal to me. I got a little cocky last year after I killed my 57 th deer with a compound. I "thought" I needed more. I sold a nice 2014 E32 and bought 2 recurves. I practiced and tuned and just ate up everything I could about trad hunting. Season came in, I missed the second time out. I had passed on a few the next few weeks due to antler regs in my club, then a doe gave me a 16 yard chip shot...yeh NOT. I lost that deer. I was shattered. I began second guessing everything. I became very discouraged and unhappy in the woods. I decided that I was not prepared to take on this challenge. It was very humbling. Anyone who thinks they have reached the point that the compound is just too easy, pick up a simple stick and string and start shooting, it is a great way to let you know if you are truly ready for a real challenge. Not just the shot distance, but how you hunt changes. treestand height, cover, scent control, arrow speed, length of the bow in the stand or blind, anchor point, arrow spine, it all plays a huge role in your success or lack of it. One thing it taught me? I ain't nearly as good a hunter as I thought I was. Humble pie never tasted so good..