Crossbow hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know there is a huge ongoing argument about crossbows, but to me it seems ridiculous. I hear people complain about how crossbow hunting is not archery and how it's a much like a gun. I 100% agree. But why do we feel the need to tell people that it isn't archery, etc? What purpose does that serve if they aren't gonna try and enter it into P&Y, or say it's archery? I see guys that bow hunt, and then go put on the orange, and join the orange army, but then borderline attack people for using a crossbow. What difference does it make if they enjoy it? Far more deer are killed by gun hunters anyway. We are all hunters, and we all enjoy the sport so what difference does it make if the next guy chooses to use a crossbow when legal? I don't get it.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is like killing a basket rack or a B&C buck. It is a personal preference. I believe Missouri is making it legal during archery season next year. Personally I'm not interested in hunting with a crossbow.

3. c e w

c e w Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a friend that hunts with everything ,gun ,bow, cross bow, the only thing he hasn't used is his blackpowder yet. But he get's about the same as when he just used his gun all it does is let him in the woods more. I dont have a problem with what ever any one uses as long as they are out there.

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the biggest argument is some people believe it brings out the slob hunters early.

5. patches2565

patches2565 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For me personally it's like people telling me that putting a feeder out isn't hunting.

Doesn't matter as long as it's legal.

6. dearjhn

dearjhn Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I agree hunt the way you want. It's like the guy that will say baiting is bad, yet hunts a corn or bean field or food plot and say its different than hunting over bait. I love my crossbow.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with both my compound and CB. They are both 20yrd tools, so the same skill is required to get a deer in "bow" range. I do get more of a sense of satisfaction from my compound kills, but I wouldn't have killed my buck this year had I been using my compound. My buck came up on me so quickly that I wouldn't have had time to stand, draw, aim, and shoot my compound without being detected. My CB made the difference. I respect all the deer I kill and am proud of them regardless of what I used to kill them with.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows are legal in Minnesota for the elderly or handicapped, I don't want to be elderly or be crippled.:)

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    You'll be both if you live long enough.

10. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I only know of a few guys using a crossbow when its legal, two of them are friends. One of them tells me repeatedly he can make a good shot up to 85 yds. I call him on this all of the time.

Use what you want where and when legal. As for me I still prefer the added challenge of getting close and draw/shoot.

11. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i hunted with a compound exclusively for a couple decades. Recently a shoulder injury made it difficult for me to shoot my compound. A buddy sold me his Ten Point Crossbow and I haven't looked back. For me I want accuracy and lethality. A crossbow gives me both.
    It enables me to take advantage of the Archery season and kill deer within 40yard just like a compound did. I don't have any interest in shotgun/rifle/muzzleloader hunting so I don't participate in those season(other than chasing trespassers).

Of course some people feel compelled to criticize that its not real Bow hunting etc etc. I have no interest or feel any need to address those comments. Its a perfectly legal method that I enjoy. As a mature, well adjusted adult who is very happy and satisfied with my life nothing else really matters. The peanut galley is irrelevant.

Everybody has an opinion and here is mine. I don't care what legal method of hunting you participate in. Just do so in a way that enables you to make quick clean kills. I hate reading and hearing about deer that were wounded and lost because of poor shot placement.

12. Bowshooter13

Bowshooter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just getting out and hunting and having fun is all that matters. If it's a bow or gun just enjoy it.

PROMOTED!!!!!!

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yep and when I do I will do what I need to keep hunting

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The same debate took place when the compound replaced the recurves. It's just as silly now. Anyone who has ever spent much time with a xbow will tell you that there are really no advantages to them. I agree with Heckler, I think most people are just afraid it will bring out the slob hunter. There's really no point in this debate, they are here to stay. If you don't believe that just compare how many xbows are displayed in cabelas compared to compounds.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

15. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    well from my personal observation, with the circle I hunt with I don't mind it, and in fact I encourage it. I see it really no different than the ML crowd. I don't hunt with either, but from what I see here in my area, the ML/CB guys are in fact pretty lazy. I like that, they are no threat to me and my way of hunting. They WILL not put the effort in that I do so it's less pressure on the deer I hunt. They kill some deer, good for them, but they rarely kill mature bucks and they only kill a handful of deer each season. This is in MY area. Can't speak for others. Is CB easier? sure it is. Is a ML easier? absolutely. Is a compound easier than recurve/longbow? 100% yes. Each of us has a certain level of challenge we want. I want some challenge, I want the hunt to be NOT a sure thing, to a point. I went all traditional this bow season, and I did not get it done. It was extremely difficult, way more than I expected. I went back to a compound. I will try again, but at this stage in my life, it was more of a challenge than I want. That is the cold truth.

16. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I guess any one can now use a crossbow during the regular firearms season as long as you purchase the firearms license. Just learned this the other day.

17. Killkenny

Killkenny Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ain't that the truth

18. Killkenny

Killkenny Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bet he's the type that would fling arrows at deer at 85 yards with a vertical bow also. Just because he can do it on paper off a bench doesn't mean you can do it in the woods at a live target

19. early in

Dislikes Received:
    It is possible that he can do that from a bench, with practice. But, there really is a common misconception of a CB's ability to shoot further out. It really doesn't offer much, if any, additional range in a hunting situation. My 150lb CB shoots the same speed as my 60lb compound, 250fps.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Most deer lost are shot with vertical bows. It's obviously the modern compound bow that creates such poor shot choices