***B.E.T.S. - Team 5 Thread***

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by dj-skyy, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    shot a nice ~140 class deer on public land 2 days ago....however, shot placement was crappy, smh....it was a hard qtr away shot at about 40yds....buck moved and i got him in the butt cheek instead of vitals...I backed out and came back the following day to track...there was a decent blood trail...got up to him about 20yds and i saw his belly up, so i thought he was down for sure...5 steps closer and he took off like a bullet....no blood no nothing....crying myself a river because it's the biggest buck I've seen while hunting...searched a full day and nada...rain coming the next 2 days and youth gun this weekend doesn't look good...but here's a quick pic of when i saw him...pretty disgusted myself; my 1st lost deer and personal best...was literally 20yds from it, thinking it was dead :cry::cry::cry:

Attached Files:

• p1.jpg
      p1.jpg
      File size:
      105.2 KB
      Views:
    • p2.jpg
      p2.jpg
      File size:
      106.4 KB
      Views:
  2. PackerFanShootingMathews

PackerFanShootingMathews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That sucks man! I would have definitely thought dead as well from that picture. How far away was that from the shot?

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The shot in the butt must make it painful for him to fold his legs underneath him to lay down. I would have assumed he was dead as well.

Welcome to the lost deer club. Sooner or later everyone joins.

4. liwhitetail

liwhitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dj Thats a heartbreaker man. I missed an absolute stud yesterday My bow limb hit the camera arm when I released and the arrow soared randomly away. Heres a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLR_nJHuNM8 Be sure to hit 1080 for better quality

5. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the boys are really running them now here. I put up a mock scrape and i am using the scent dripper with active scrape. gonna see how things go the next few days. Gonna stay out of there for a day or two. I think Wed. will be a good day to sit mid day and see what comes in.

6. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's a heart breaker dj!

I hunted Friday and Sunday and lots of action both days. I passed a 7 point on Friday that I may regret later in the season. I didn't have much time to determine if I was going to shoot or not. After watching him for a while I was still on the fence and ultimately decided no to shoot.

7. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning to sit for a couple hours tomorrow morning. Will probably have to leave about 8:30 though.

8. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I haven't been around much guys. But hoping this makes up for it. BUCK DOWN!!! 126 points for the board. I don't have pictures loaded to the computer yet, but will tonight and get him in the score card. Haven't seen much rutting other then1 and 2 year old deer. Seen some deer running this morning at around 10 and grunted. He came right in after. 3.5 year old, I try to hold that as my minimum. So Im happy as can be. Never seen him before so he has been cruising for sure.

9. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buck is posted in the score card thread!

image4.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  10. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!! Congrats man!

11. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats Cmonsta! That's a great buck.

12. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys! Was an exciting hunt. Hope the same goes to everyone here!

13. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    saw 17 does and one half rack this morning on the way to work. Sunday is looking promising.

14. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well Fellas.
    Here in Texas we are now in Gun season. Dont worry I shoot my bow during the whole season. I hunt on 7 acres and I feel a gun is a bit much on 7 acres. We are now restricted to Bucks only until Turkey weekend then we get to shoot does again for 4 days. so I saw a great looking 16 pointer yesterday on the way to work and I saw a half rack 8 this morning on the way to work. I will be sitting Sunday morning up til the packer game then sitting when it is over. Hope to put up some more points. Good luck to you all.

15. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    saw 4 does and no bucks yesterday..... on the way to work this morning. saw 7 does and shooter 7 now sitting until Sunday so I hope to see something again. Good luck.

16. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Getting ready to head out for a doe. I head back to work in the morning. When I get back itll be rifle season. Ill still bow hunt a few days in rifle but most of it will be patrolling my property lines. Sad that's what we have to do these days.

17. dj-skyy

dj-skyy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    been kind of slow but rut is starting to pick up here in SW MO...had a few opportunities at smaller bucks coming in on estrus, but didn't shoot one yet...worst case scenario, I'll shoot a cull buck from the back yard...until then, still hoping to land something bigger on the public areas I hunt at...

18. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    great view this morning from the Drive way. a non shooter 8 with 4 does and a Spike on the outskirts of the pack. I think he knew his place. the Buck wasn't Chasin he was just scenting them he never tried to run the spike off when he got close to his lady's.

Antler restrictions of 13" makes him a non shooter. Hope to see some action this Sunday.

19. ETABNT

ETABNT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    rough weather does not make for a good hunt. sat before the storm. Nothing. Sat after it cleared out 4 Does right at dark.

20. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting for me has turned into a frustration which was killing the fun of being out so I'm taking a break for a week, maybe two. It's gun season here now anyway.

I'm in the process of doing a rethink and reboot of my equipment. Made some bow tuning adjustments, new arrows to better fit the adjustments I made and new broadheads are ordered.

I plan to be back at it by the end of next week.