How far will you drive for your hunt?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by oneshotonly, Nov 8, 2015.

1. oneshotonly

oneshotonly Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Been hard to find a place to hunt this year. A co-worker showed me some state land to hunt. I met his father who lives close to three miles from the area. They took me around this 4900 acre public land for close to five hours showing me places to hunt. The area is full of red and white oaks, and pine tress. Lots of streams, hills and valleys. It was RUN HEAVEN up there. We bump close to fifteen does. Seen four eight pointers. This was only a third of the land. I fell in love with this place instantly. It has a camp ground area that can only be hunted opening rifle day. Rather it be rifle, muzzleloader or bow. I set up a ground blind on a Ridge along side a stream. The only bad thing is the public land is an hour and a half away. To be honest, what I've seen the first time as ever been up there, the drive will be worth it. Especially since my co-worker's farther invite me to stay anytime. So how far are you willing to travel?

2. hammerman

hammerman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 1 1/2hrs & use to drive that far for the public land I hunted. If it has quality deer it's worth the 1 1/2hr drive.

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I drive an hour every hunt regardless of where I hunt. That half hour wouldn't change a thing.

2-3 hour drive and I'd be looking at camping or hotel for a multi day hunt. 4-6 hour round trip for an all day hunt leaves you with about 7 hours to do something other than hunt or drive including sleep.

4. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I hunt on the 35ish acres I own around my house. There are a few deer out there, but not a ton. I also have access to 200 acres of private land that has a really high deer population (for my area). The private land is 35 minutes away and then a 15 minute walk into my treestand. Even though the private land is pretty much deer heaven, I rarely go. Maybe two or three times during a season. Being able to hunt behind my house is great and I work a lot on deer habitat out there (where I don't/can't on the private land), so I get a lot more enjoyment out of being there.

5. Harnershounds

Harnershounds Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Depending where I want to hunt but no more than 20 minutes. I hunt probably over 6,000 acres of farm land, draws, and small wood lots.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd probably do the same. But, were you to switch that strategy up maintaining the habitat improvement and you could be living on a gold mine come the rut and early season.

7. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got back from a 3 day hunt in upstate NY. 3 and a half hours each way, didnt kill a deer, but just being out there with my friends in the house, having fun is well worth it. I would do it again in a second!! Had a great time regardless of a harvest!

8. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I did most of my growing up right next to the private land, so I know it like the back of my hand. That's probably one of the few reason I still go hunt it... for nostalgia. I spent probably 20 hours putting wood in the cellar for the landowner this year and probably only 6 hours in the stand. But in those 6 hours of sitting, I saw 11 does and fawns where as in the entire time sitting in back of my house (probably 60 hours total) I saw 2 does, 2 fawns and a forkhorn buck I shot @ 4 yards with my .270 on Nov 5 during rifle season.

I plan on doing a little hinge cutting out back this winter, but not too much since the areas where I'd hinge cut are already pretty thick. The bad part of living on the property I hunt is my obsession with checking trail cameras, but I don't have any of those setup in the super thick area (only on the clover/turnip foodplot).

9. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 3 hours each way just about every weekend this season so far. An hour and a half man I would love that.

10. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most my spots (all public) are within 1.5 hours. I'd go beyond 2 hours for a confirmed giant roaming an area, but nearly all state borders are within 2.5 hours of me, so that's really not saying much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you found a honey hole. I would make that drive once or twice a week or if you can camp for a few days it would make it worth it.

12. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds like a great setup. congrats. I currently drive 2 and 4 hours for my two hunting areas. its the price of the sport.

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds worth it to me. I currently drive 1hr 10min to my spot.

Blessings........Pastorjim

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My normal spots on club property are a 2 hr drive. I have another spot I like on another one of our properties that is a 3 hr drive. Longest I have drove was from Alabama to Colorado for a mule deer hunt last year.

15. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been driving 4 hrs. each way to a public land area for the past 10 yrs or so. You guys are lucky...

16. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 2 hours 40 minutes (one way) to my friends farm in NE OH.

17. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt several places thru out the season... 1 1/2 hours or less I just get up early and go... farther then that I leave the night before and sleep in my car....

18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 19 hours to Illinois every year for a 5 day hunt. I used to drive 1 hour to a public land spot. :tu:

19. sundevil180shooter

sundevil180shooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 5.5 hours each way to hunt the family ranch. 4.5 each way for elk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Buckeye Red

Buckeye Red Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I drive about an hour and a half to hunt state forest land here in Ohio