***Heart Shot Heroes - Team #3 Thread!!****

Discussion in '2015 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 16, 2015.

1. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good job on the doe! We definitely are getting all our doe points!

2. DoubleLung

DoubleLung Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go MA.! Congrats on the doe..

I'll be in WI for a long weekend this week, just in time too.. we have some studs starting to show up.!
    Can't wait.

3. Thwack1

Thwack1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go MA! Nice fat doe for the freezer! That buck is a studdddd!! Hope u catch up to him! I had an awesome experience last night with a buck I think is 3 years old. I have a few pics of him on cam somewhere. He came in and checked my mock scrape and the rub line in front of me at 20 yards!!! This is my first deer season owning property. The neighboring lands on 3 sides don't hunt and the only one that does practices Qdm. So I'm doing my best not to smoke the first good buck that walks in front of me. Coming from basically hunting public land Where anything that's not a basket rack goes on the wall..... Let's just say I recited " he'll be bigger next year" in my head like 45 times in 25 min. But after it was all over and he moved off I felt good about it...........I think?

4. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to stick to your convictions! You will definitely be happier in the end. Just think about how big he'll be next year after another year of growth!

The wife and I are back from our mini-vacation. Instead of going to the mountains, we went to the Outer Banks. We really enjoyed ourselfs.

I'm headed out in 30 minutes to hunt! Good luck everyone!

5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know the feeling Thwack... any legal buck out here is a good buck... hard not shoot a decent basket rack...
    heading out tonight... biggest buck on that cam is a basket 8... he looks mature though.. big body on him..

6. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!!!!!!!

I'm starting to inventory and pack today!! Not a fan of the weather in the extended forecast for the start of next week in Illinois though...
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    good luck swamp!!!
    I see some good bucks in the rain!!! go get em!

8. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I would rather have had this weather about 3 weeks ago.

9. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    It's a windy one. Hope to redeem myself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

10. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck !

11. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeeze looks like we've got some more points since my last visit on here! Congrats guys!

Unfortunately I haven't been out for awhile. I'm working on building a shed/chicken coop and that is taking up my time right now. Trying to have it all closed up before I head to Illinois on the 6th. I did hang a camera out behind my house last Thursday on a few big oaks, will be interesting to see what comes through. Our rifle season starts up this Saturday.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck tonight yall. The wife and I sat the blind. I haven't had good luck in the afternoon there...0 for 4 for the blind. Maybe it'll be a better morning sit.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow morning. I'll check the forecast right before I leave and if it looks like rain, i'll try the blind.

Good luck tomorrow if anyone is out!

13. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I had no luck last night. The wind finally died down and the temps dropped. Making it ideal for the deer to move, but they didn't. Didn't even spook any coming out which is odd when we don't see any. As we were walking out we heard squealing tires. Get to the road to leave and a car is on the side with it's 4way flashers. Go up there - sure enough, hit one of the big eight points we were chasing. The car was so bad it had to be towed out of there.

I'm taking tonight off. The full moon is out and I honestly cannot do another late night. I've hunted so much more this year then ever. I've been coming to work by 7 and leaving at 230 - not getting back home until 9/10 - making dinner, shower, repeat. It sure is rough and I give you all credit if you can do it. I will be back out Thursday. Supposed to get hit with 50+ MPH winds and torrential down pours tonight-Wednesday.

14. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    nothing last pm... dead..

15. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    Glad it wasn't just me. I've seen at least one deer every night (in this stand) - except last night.

16. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    It never fails. I didn't go out tonight and my husband passed on four doe, had two deer a ways out, and shot the buck I missed Saturday. This was all before 6pm.

Happy for him but so frustrating for me.

17. HuntMaine

HuntMaine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Figures Kristen!!

Keep at it and you'll knock one down soon enough!

18. PinkPony

Dislikes Received:
    I was so exhausted after going every day pretty much for two weeks. Didn't see a thing last night and figured with the moon being bright all night they wouldn't be running. I was wrong. So wrong. Ugh.

19. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that's rough Kristen, it can wear you down mentally and leave you exhausted and drained. As much as I love being in the woods and as obsessive as I am, I have to limit myself to avoid the drain, it happened to me last year.
    The forums are great and I love them, but it's hard to see almost everyday it seems like someone else dropping a doe or buck, when your struggling. Makes you feel like your the only one not getting it done. But in reality the forum represents a small percentage of bow hunters, we don't hear about the other 10,000 hunters in the county who eat tag soup year after year. Hunting is supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing, not stress and pressure. That's also why I stopped filming this year, so I could enjoy hunting again. Hang in there but don't burn yourself out!!

It took me 5 years bow hunting to get my first yearling doe. 2 of those years I never saw a deer in a hunting situation...

EDIT: congrats to your husband btw!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  20. Western MA Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's right swamp... far too many people get caught up in the competition of it.. who is shooting what and comparing themselves to others... without taking into consideration that areas that they hunt, number of deer, etc. Simply measuring success in inches of antler. I've learned to just "compete" with myself and the deer in the particular area I hunt.
    Having said that, the frustration always does set in. I usually have had more success this year. BUT, I have been hunting much less this year than in years past due to things out of my control (work, youth sports, etc).
    Just gotta make the best out the limited time I have.
    I was hoping to get out this afternoon, however they are calling for heavy rain today and tomorrow. the only days I can hunt... of course...
    I am hoping to take my daughter to my buddy's "honey hole" this Sat to try for second deer of her young career. She shot her first doe there last year w/ the muzzleloader.... gonna take her xbow