Official Team 21 Thread

Discussion in 'The Vault' started by SparrowHawk, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mcorso

mcorso Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys! got us on the board, just uploaded pics, still hunted a doe. and made a perfect heart shot at 27 yards! the weather was horrible with the wind swirls,and rain. So I stayed out of my "buck" stands and did some spot and stalk by a known doe area. worked out well. will get out again soon.

2. SparrowHawk

SparrowHawk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    CONGRATS!! How about a story?

3. wmdbambibuster

wmdbambibuster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    WE ON THE BOARD

4. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a shot mcorso! My season starts this Thursday here in MI. The temps are looking great, barely reaching 60 all week. There is going to be frost on the ground opening morning!! I'm feeling it this season. I think the rut is going to be great this year compared to the last years which came rather late.

5. WV Hunter

WV Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good job Mike! (I think its Mike, right? LOL)

Regardless...great job getting us on the board :D I tell you what, if we all whack a doe...that will go a long way to helping the overall team score. I hope to take one here in the next couple weeks. Our season opens this weekend here in VA, and in two more weeks after that in WV.

SH...any luck with Justin for our 8th man?

Mike

6. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, I still haven't heard from him. It has been a while now too.... I'll send him a reminder, hopefully it will get his attention. Mike has a good point about whacking some slickheads! I always try to put one down to get some venison in the freezer early. Anyone using trail cameras?

7. TexasBowHunter

TexasBowHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on the doe...

Congrats on the doe.... And to spot and stalk, I have never had any luck with that on deer, now hogs are a different story though, have stalked a ton of them... Kudo's Brother!!!!

I am still a month out from getting to put in some stand time... My first sit in a stand this year will be in Carroll county Illinois and I already can't sleep a full night.... Will be my first trip out of Texas hunting, I am just a little excited!!!!

I have no problems with putting that buck in my avatar down, that picture was a trail cam pic from the end of last season and I have a few more of him after season so it is quite possible to get a shot at him.... I guessed him in the mid 50's last year and would put him in the low 60's this year, he put on quite a bit more mass..... If he presents the shot and the lord has it in his plan I will be runnin an erra in him!!!! ;)

Best of luck to all you guys that are already hitting the stands, keep the stories coming, it makes my time at work go by faster!!!!

8. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be out tomorrow morning in VA guys....we'll see how it goes! It will at least be nice to finally get out some regardless of what I see, its been killing me. :D

Good luck to everyone hunting, lets get some points on the board!!!

9. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Gd luck in the morning WV:D:D

10. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Well went to check out a new piece of property last night, it was raining pretty gd so we only walked the perimiter. Saw a few gd trails and a little sign, the owners said no one has hunted it in the last ten years that they know of so there should be some deer there:D We will be going back in the next few days to put up signs and paint the trees so i will look around more then. As soon as i can find it on a map i will post it up and see what you guys think!
    I am going back out to the property that i have been hunting tonight and hopefully get one on the ground!:) Gd luck all!

WV did ya see anything today? Hopefully you are dragging one right now!

11. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    wmd....yes, I actually saw 11 today. I didn't shoot anything though. :(

I had my chance first thing...had 3 does come through about 20yds, but I decided to wait. First day...10 minutes after light, I just couldn't do it. Anyhow...not a big deal, I'll take a few this year for sure. I saw 4 more after those about an hour later (at 50yds, no shot opp). 3 does and a 2" spike that still had velvet. I'm pretty sure he's this years deer....he looked just like a button, but out of his lumps he had little spikes sticking up. That is encouraging...maybe next year as a yearling he'll be sporting a nice rack! :)

About 9:30 I saw a decent 8pt go through about 80yds away. He looked to be about 80" maybe a tad more. 2.5yr old for sure. He came through, then 10 mins later came back through the opposite way exactly where he came from. No clue what he was doing. I wouldn't have shot him anyhow...I hope he makes it! (or my son gets him :D)

This evening I saw 3 does about 6pm, about 75yds away. I was hoping one would come over....but no cigar. Next time! All in all, a good opening day....just no points for the team, or meat for the freezer. My son conveniently let me know that "we are almost out of meat, so why didn't I shoot that doe" ? LOL, he is right...I probably should have. :)

How about you guys....anything?

12. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a gd day WV. I did like you with the doe's on the first morning and have not had a chance since should have done it when i had a chance
    LOL:D

Went out tonight from 4 til dark saw 2 not sure what they were they never came out of the thicket to get a gd look at them.:mad:

13. mcorso

mcorso Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I had a ton of family obligations this weekend, so I didnt make it in the woods, weather pending I may get out this week, will keep you posted.

14. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    I went out last night. I had a small 4pt at 20 yards. The weather has been awesome here in MI lately. Things should start picking up soon. I'll be heading out tonight! Good luck all!

SH

15. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Things have been tough in Arkansas. The weather hasn't helped much either and my Scentlock is not waterproof! Their callin for rain for the next two days. I've only seen 5 since Oct 1st. A doe and 2 fawns at about 325 yds, a spike with a bumb leg last night (15 yds broadside) and a doe at 45 yds. No help from me yet. I got whiteoak dropping acorns nearly as big as golfballs, so there's still hope.

16. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Great night tonight, but still no dice. Had 20 turkeys to keep me occupied for about a half hour. Right before dark I heard one moving in, it ended up being a small doe just cruising through a thicket. It's pretty sweet when you can hear them coming from the leaves crunching this early in the season! This cold weather, rain, and wind really had the leaves dropping. The temps are suppose to get near freezing every night this week with highs during the day only around 48, 50 degrees. I plan on hunting really hard, and hopefully will be able to at least put a doe down within a week. Good luck all!

Keep up on the updates

SH

17. WV Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck SH! Lets get some points!!!

I probably won't get out until next week...possibly this Sat evening, maybe. Starting to cool down here too, night before last it was 38. Today was VERY windy, but not as cold.

On a side note...I'm a proud pop today...my son scored his first touchdown tonight :D
    He's 11, and the QB on his 11-13 team and doing very well. His team stinks as a whole, but they are having fun. Tonight they tied! Huge accomplishment considering they lost the last 3 by a good bit! LOL

Good luck to everyone out there... :)

18. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No luck for me either. I had a doe fawn at 30 yds, but there was no way I was shooting her. She was just too stinking small. Saw 5 or 6 more right before dark that were out of range for my .270.

19. wmdbambibuster

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys been real busy hope to get out Sat morning. I got my new property all posted and saw 20 couple deer while posting it:D Going to head back down next week and look for a few spots and give them a try! Gd Luck All.

20. SparrowHawk

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, Congrats to your son! I remember the days when I played rocket football, I had a blast. Did he break a few tackles or go untouched? I'm always down for talking football!:D

On a hunting note, chance of snow here for next week in MI. Can you believe that?! I'm heading out tonight to a spot I've never hunted before, just going to hang my climber. It is great property but this time of the year its pretty thick, hopefully I can find a decent tree with some shooting lanes. I look forward to hearing some updates from those who are heading out this weekend, good luck!

SH