Contacts vs glasses

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rory, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went the whole summer wearing glasses and I had a new string put on my bow as well. My whole set up felt horrible. I was shooting really bad for my standards much of the summer. I figured it was my string and that I needed to just get everything dialed in. Nope it was my glasses. I can not shoot with them on. My sight looks totally different with my contacts in. Has anyone else noticed a drastic difference between wearing glasses vs contacts.

2. JDouin

JDouin Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In order to bowhunt effectively with glasses, they must be yellow tinted, and dark rimmed. Otherwise you're just pissing in the wind.

3. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with normal glasses, and have killed a deer every year that I have been bow hunting.

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am hunting with my glasses. I've tried with contacts but vision is always a little clearer with glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rory

Rory Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like hunting with my glasses on because I can't see out of the corner of my eyes. What really got me was how distorted my sight pins are with my glasses on. The pins look way to big and off especially the red pin. It might just be my eyes and prescription, but it's a significant difference.

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't like wearing glasses hunting for three reasons.

1. they would fog up
    2. the frames would get in my line of site with how I anchor
    3. at anchor, I would be looking through my lenses at and angle. This skews your site like water does for bow fishermen. (Take your glasses off, hold them out in front of your face and rotate them side to side, you'll see what I mean)

I never wanted contacts growing up. I specifically got them for hunting. I now were contacts 50% of the time in the off season, and 100% of the time I'm hunting or shooting.

Born2Hunt likes this.
  7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I continue to wear my glasses. I don't know if it's because I don't where contacts enough or what but I always feel like my vision is a little blurry or cloudy when wear contacts. I also have no problem shooting with glasses on though so that may be another reason I keep wearing them.

Only downfall I don't like is like fitz said they fog up. Normally don't wear a face mask but as the temps fall I'll throw one on every once in a while and run into that problem.

8. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear glasses.. fog is about the extent of my problems with them.

Ohhh and rain.....

9. jtreat

jtreat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just got glasses this weekend and they have helped a lot. Before I had them my pins were blurred and hallowed on me now they are clear and I have wondered how wearing glasses would be in the stand. I done have a cleaning cloth in the bag but I will not be in the tree until Thursday morning so it will be a learning curve. Anyone have any tips or things that I should be prepared for in the stand? sorry :hijacked:

10. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    I wear contacts pretty much 24/7 when not hunting. But my accuracy improves with the better vision. Glasses prescriptions and contacts vary slightly and IMO vision correction can be done a little more accurate with glasses than contacts. Plus glasses don't have to reposition. After every blink

11. remmett70

Dislikes Received:
    Cleaning is not as critical for shooting as some would think. You actually look only though a very small area. You will notice it more when you are scanning to locate deer. You have to turn you head more than you did without glasses. Most important is to make sure they are fitted correct and don't fall off your nose easily.

12. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    save up and get your eyes lazered, you won't regret it!

13. DucksUnlimitedHunter27

DucksUnlimitedHunter27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot just fine with my glasses. I end up having to draw, and make sure they are seated all the way up my nose, they seem to slip some. I have noticed my 40 yd red pin looks longer than the green ones. Once it gets cold the fog is a pain, with a face mask. I will probably start wearing contacts all the time this season.

14. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't shoot with glasses, frame gets in the way. I wear a contact in my left eye only.

15. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wearing glasses helped my shooting by a mile. Without them my pins were sharp but the target blurry. With them on my target is nice and clear and my pins a bit blurry. This helps me focus on the target and less on pin movement, which pretty much fixed my flinching and punching the trigger (target panic, I know it's a dirty word on here!) Only issue as others have said is fogging when wearing a mask.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to wear glasses, but absolutely hated them. It was before I hunted, but I always had problems when I played basketball. When I first switched to contacts, I had issues with them too. They seem to never track as fast as my eye. Eventually I found a contact that seems to work perfect for me. I pretty much wear them 24/7 without any issues.

17. Njenkins

Njenkins Newb

Dislikes Received:
    From the variety of responses I would say whatever works for you

18. bossbucks25

bossbucks25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot with my glasses on or with my contacts in, it hasn't affected my shooting at all.

19. rajela

rajela Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the same with my glasses or contacts...neither are very effective at making me a better shot....I might try without either.

20. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot fine with glasses as well. I would prefer to use contacts though but I'm starting to get to where I will need bi-focals soon and that just makes wearing contacts that much more difficult for me. Glasses fog up easily and for me the walks in they seem to steam up even faster. Other than that they are easy to get used to wearing while hunting.