Was your college degree worth it?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by BigPhil_H, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, but it's what you do with it that counts.

I obtained an undergraduate in journalism with an emphasis in news/editorial writing. If I'd stayed in that career field, my answer would have probably been "no"... as I could have probably worked my way up through the ranks eventually, though I was an editor just a few short years after graduating at a small paper. Still, the cost of the degree compared to my ROI wouldn't have been worth it, sad to say.

Realizing that, I went back and obtained a master of arts in English, with an emphasis in teaching composition and rhetoric. I taught English 101 for several years at our local D-1 university... the pay was still relatively abysmal. If I wanted to "make it" finiancially, it was going to require a PhD. Universities and small colleges are notorious for using ABD (all but dissertation) faculty as "slave labor" to comprise the bulk of their faculty.

I left to pursue a career in sales, which led to several hard years financially. We lived on my wife's income primarily for a couple of those. At that point in my life, you could STILL say the college degree wasn't necessarily worth it. Today though, I work for the largest medical company in the world, and they won't even give your resume a second look if it doesn't list a college diploma. My master's helps separate me from the field a bit, too.

You can imagine the income, benefits and perks are pretty nice... and though it took a LOT of work to get there, I could NOT have worked myself into this position without the degree.

2. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be graduating in EE this spring and I can say it was definitely worth it. I've done two internships (one is current part time student position) and both were very well paying and I learned a lot. Granted I am only spending 3 years to get my BS and I worked in highschool and got scholarships which paid for over half and the little my parents have helped puts me in a position to have a little extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a degree in the field I have a career in and the education part was worthless. My degree served it's purpose, though, which was to get me my initial job, but that's about it. What I learned AT my first job and what I'm doing now are far more beneficial to my career. So in a nutshell, the best part of college was just having that piece of paper that you get at the end, the education wasn't.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that this is just in my case and personal experience. College is definitely a good thing. Like most other things, just learning and passing a test doesn't prove you can actually use the knowledge. In my field you learn more from work experience, certifications, and targeted training.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    went 1 year. got my degree in weed/beer and girls-ology.
    they ALL ended up costing me $$:beer:

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went for 2 years to play baseball. After college I got in to an apprenticeship. I consider that my degree and some would argue that is tougher than college. We had on the job training as well as we had to go to school. So, if my apprenticeship counts as a degree then I would say yes, it was worth it.

6. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm retired military (Navy) and that actually got me my new career after the Navy. I took it upon myself to go the next step and get a degree in Environmental Science to further establish myself as a viable candidate in case of losing the contract that I was employed under. I'm glad I did get the degree since it opened up opportunities within the government for me, and I chose to go that route (more money, much better security, much better benefits).

So overall, yes...my degree was worth it.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  7. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ha you got that right Sam! Just got
    An offer to be a full time electronic design EE for a big green company and the offer I thought was generous, especially for being out of school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Worth it or not, more education is never a bad thing.

SCFox

9. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think it can help. From my 72 credit hours, I have taken so far it has been great, minus a pointless Art History class I’m taking right now. I do not need the degree, and probably never will, but it has helped my writing and research styles tremendously. I think differently and use different avenues to answer a question or issue. I am lucky to have the G.I. Bill that pays for all of my schooling, best thing I have ever done was to join the Army. I really am enjoying it; more education can never hurt.

10. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't the GI Bill great! I never realized what a benefit it was until I used it for my degree...basically being paid to go to school.

11. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to let it run out, luckily I decided to give it a try. Now I think people that don't use it are giving away free money.

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will say this about my college years the friends I made in college have been my life long friends.

13. SevenMag

SevenMag Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    worth it.

14. Stay_Sharp

Stay_Sharp Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yes.