Deer scores.....Whos kidding themselves?

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by Kaiser878, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Kaiser878

Kaiser878 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I dont like judging scores on mounts, because I have noting to judge off of...

Also, unless someone is a certified scorer, the actual scores are not sacred... nothing against you or your taxi.... but ive seen deer get scored by taxidermists that are way off. one of my taxidermists is a terrible scorer. ha I dont know what he does wrong....but man is he usually off by a lot...

I think a lot of people take more than 8 mass measurements, or dont measure mass in narrowest spot for each measurement, or add outside spread etc.... anyway...

Here goes....
    And also, you dont see me on on tv saying how high a deer scores or on any forums saying how big deer are either...

He looks to have decent beams, 22-23inch, mass isnt huge..... Id say he is in the 137-142 range.....

Nice deer by the way

2. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I will never submit a score to P&Y maybe B&C but don't think my odds are to high.
    So I go off of several people I know to be great judges of deer ( 1 happens to be an official scorer for P&Y)
    we scored the deer at about 142 so you are right there.
    My point of this was to help you eliminate guys questioning your scoring abilities.
    I for one wont/ don't give out scores of bucks I want to shoot. to me personally the score is a lot less important than the age class of the buck.
    Don't get me wrong I would love to shoot a Booner but I am a regular guy that struggles to find places to hunt just like most of you.

3. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Well if your buddy is a P&Y scorer, then I say you have a reliable scorer....

Again, im not saying I dont make mistakes....but some of these deer I see and people throw out numbers for them....All I can do is shake my head..... I dont know why, but it irritates the snot out of me. I wouldnt be surprised if people question my credibility.... You have to, its the internet.... but I have been around deer my whole life... I eat sleep breath them... I love the game..

Just so you dont think im a blow hard and to answer some of the nay-sayers doubts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If that isnt enough.. just let me know..:D

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks man!

5. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks you sir. I have been very fortunate in my young hunting career. This is a fraction of the P&Y bucks I have been fortunate enough to harvest.... I am very thankful for them all. Like I said before, I love the deer woods and everything about it.

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who gives a flying @$!#

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Safe to assume we're talking about Tyler's hit list segment? I agree that he may be off on the score of the "Baby G1" buck as well, but only time will tell. He may be using the ****ie Tunes measuring system on that one. :lol:

I don't think anyone ever intentionally gives inflated scores to mislead people but it can be tough to judge deer in velvet and when they're deer you're hunting you tend to score them a little higher (or I do anyways). An objective third party can bring in a little bit of perspective from time to time.

On a side note - great looking bucks Kaiser. You just need to get yourself a pair of Graf Yellow Goggles (GYG's). :tu:

8. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks sir....

Not sure about the Graf glasses. Ha

9. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    Well considering I made the post......

10. ruteger

ruteger Guest

I think you just made the post as a segue to posting the photos of all the deer you've shot. ;) Great deer though!

11. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is becoming a lot like fish tales. Personally inches don't matter much to me. Where I hunt if you pass up an 8 pointer because it isn't big enough you would never shoot one. Only four 8 pointers or bigger have been take. From the land in about 25 years and maybe one of them would score 130. My 9pt unofficially was 117 and it is third best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. ruteger

ruteger Guest

Why do you think there's nothing bigger out there? Too much pressure?

13. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not a hunting pressure issue. Think it is all a lack of quality food and no land management. It is just forest. No farming anywhere around and no food plotting has been done around. It is pretty much all natural woodlands and swamps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. _andrewgiles_sio

_andrewgiles_sio Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty simple solution, don't watch the videos if you don't agree with them, they are working guys like yourself, this isn't their job so they don't benefit from saying they think a buck scores more than what it might truly score. It's just their opinion.

Sent from my LG-D500 using Tapatalk

15. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are plenty of shows that say the bucks they shoot are WAY bigger than what the deer actually are. It is hard to give a guy a hard time or say I am never watching again over a guess on a velvet buck unless it is just way off or it happens all of the time which really isn't the case with this show. If you got this mad over a one time thing that is crazy and maybe their is some truth about some of the comments you did this to post your pictures for the look at me affect.

16. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Tushay.... Nice looking deer. Try not to let the little things in life bother you so much.

17. Kaiser878

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I'm not mad.... why would I get mad? It's constructive criticism..... Justin, one of the hosts clearly understands....

Ya that's exactly why I made this post in the BHOD forum... so I could post a couple of the deer I've killed.... if that was my intention, why wouldn't I just post pictures of all the deer I've killed in the regular forum? Or why would i post pictures of a coiple average sized bucks? If i were looking for the "look at" me effect i would have posted pictures of bigger deer. They were posted because "credibility" was questioned. Sorry.... didn't realize deer pictures shared on a bowhunting site were looked down upon.... I won't post anymore pictures... sorry...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  18. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well obviously you are much better at giving criticism than taking it. No need to have the I am going to take my ball and go home attitude. You criticized a show that a lot of people here have an attachment too, and they defended the show. Most people said that exaggerating the score is very rare here so why get so upset and I don't think Justin completely agrees with you, just in one instance but I could have read it wrong. Oh and we love seeing Hero Shots so keep posting them, under a different circumstance would be better IMO.

19. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deer can still get big on browse :tu:

20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Yea keep posting pics! I dont care if someone is tooting their own horn (which im not saying anyone is) i still like to see Big Bucks being taken. It gets my blood rolling!