Need to TRY and prevent this ...Help!

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Creeks, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, some useless POS thug stole my camera and bracket, yesterday when I went to get it....yep, it was gone...First one I've had stolen in 51 yrs of life...

What can I do as far as a security box, etc, to at least try to prevent it from happening again, or at least make it a struggle, instead of just unscrewing it from a tree, and be gone.

Help needed...Thanks
    Creeks!

2. Buck master

Buck master Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its seems like this happening a lot this year on the forums. There's three ways I know of, there might be more. 1. You can catch him in the act of stealing by putting a dummy camera down low and then put another camera up high like 10 feet and point it down looking at your dummy camera so you might be able to identify him. 2. Just put your cameras higher. Bring a climbing stick with you to hang cameras and that should be high enough. 3. Just put a cable lock on your camera and a lock on the camera door. You can put it high or leave it low. I put cameras on public land and haven't had one stolen yet because I make it as hard as I can for them to steal them. I've had two people try to steal my cameras this year already. Your security box would be a good idea too!

3. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, thank you Buck, appreciate the advice....Creeks!

4. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can't stop a thief! They will find a way to get or destroy your cam.

5. okie_flinger

okie_flinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    all you can do is discourage vandalism or theft... the only way to prevent it is to not put equipment in the woods.

using a security lock box and locking cable at least makes me believe that an honest person would leave them alone. but even a locking cable (python cable) can be sawn through with a hacksaw in about 5 seconds. I have had to do it when I lost a set of keys. now all my cables and box locks are keyed the same.

http://store.camlockbox.com/security-boxes/

others will tell ya to put them up high out of normal reach, but it is certainly accessible & vulnerable if discovered.

6. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Would like to electrify the case/cover around the camera. That way when they try to take it, you can get a good photo of them being electrocuted.

7. davglo35

davglo35 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Dig a hole about 10 feet deep right in front of the camera. Dig it just like a well. Cover the hole with a small sheet of plastic and cover it with leaf litter. When the thief walks up on your cam he falls into the hole. Then you can find him when you check your cams and either just throw dirt on him and bury him or do whatever you feel is right. Lol

8. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That stinks! Guys have covered it pretty well. Bass Pro is doing a trade in program right now for their trail cameras. The trade in doesn't even need to function. You get $20 off $100-149, $30 off of 150-179, $50 off $180-399 and $100 off $400+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk