Ladder Stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Wingtipsdown, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put a 19 ft up with the boys today. Man what a pain, getting older and it flat wore me out. 1 more to put up tomorrow but I doubt I'll ever purchase another one. Lock ons for me only after this. Ladder stands suck to put them up in the woods. They are very safe once you get them up, but they are hard to get up. On the outer edge of a field or fence, ladder stands are gravey, but around cover with everything in the way - difficult to say the least. I will refrain from the language.
    Anyone have the same problems?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. JaminWI

JaminWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I agree 100%. They have their places, but buried back in the woods isn't one of them in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They are a lot harder to pack a distance but I absolutely love them for getting in and out of and hunting out of them. I have a climber that I use occasionally but mostly ladder stands for me. I usually put them up and leave them and hunt from them for several seasons just checking the straps annually. Have had to start chaining them with locks to keep from getting stolen.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use an extension ladder to secure a pulley up in the tree then use a rope to pull the ladder stand up makes it much easier and a single man job.

5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love ladder stands. Yeah, can be a pain but i'd rather put up 10 ladder stands than 1 hang on.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

6. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You've never hung a lone wolf with lone wolf sticks have you?

7. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I don't feel safe hanging hang ons.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I only have ladder stands. Put them up leave them up and add a new layer of straps every fall. I tie the stand and ladder to the tree in 5 spots, keeps it secure and quiet when you climb up and down. I too do not feel safe hanging or sitting on a hang on.

9. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We just put up 4 two man ladder stands at our place in ny. Iv'e been into filming the last couple yrs. and I'm trying to lighten the load of carrying a climbing stand and all my camera gear into the woods every time. At 60 yrs. old, 51lbs of gear with a stand and a bad knee is a lot of weight to be packing in and out.

10. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I felt the same way before taking the LW plunge a few years ago. The thought of hanging a ladder stand or cheap hang on scares me way more now.

11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using lone wolf climbers. I own two sit and climbs, however ladder stands takes 20lbs. off my pack weight.

12. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I believe ya. The price tag comparison and hunting all my own private land I'll be sticking to mainly ladder stands and my climber.

13. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought 3 ladder stands at ****s just after deer season closed and got em for 100 less than 1 of my lone wolf climbers. I love my wolves but their just too expensive to leave out there in the den of thieves.

14. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I love ladder stands for the ease of use during the season but man they are difficult to install. I used to just lean them against the tree and climb them and attach the straps but now I'm 62 years old and don't like the feeling of that. Now I use climbing sticks to attach the straps. Otherwise I use the Summit Viper my favorite stand for stealth, when I don't want anyone to know where I am hunting.

15. kern06

kern06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If I owned land I would probably use nothing but ladder stands. It just isn't very practical on public lands where you can't leave stands. My LW alpha is rock solid in a tree compared to the cheapo hang ons though.

16. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can hang 2 ladder stands in the time I get 1 hang on up. My ladder is pretty easy for my hang on but then I put a tree step for a handle and so I can tie the stand up to be hands free. I usually do ladder stands myself because I know my limits and if I need to I'll call someone to help. It's not safe to do it yourself but I've been putting them up myself since I was 14 or 15 and have never been close to falling. I use the stabilizing straps with ratchets so that there's no chance it could fall when I strap the top.

17. Wingtipsdown

Wingtipsdown Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I put up a lockon with climbing sticks today by myself. I used the safety vest with the loop that goes around the tree and holds you under your butt when you lean back. Went up and down a few times more than I should have but overall it was pretty easy. Big Game lock on. Once I got up there I dropped the safety line. It's ready to roll. I think I'll check out the lone wolf brand for sure. It seems like people talk about that brand a whole lot. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

18. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Three ladder stands on my land a lone wolf. Sit& climb for when I travel I will be putting them up in a week or so and take them down in January

19. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

20. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've looked and just can't get myself to buy a hang on. It is almost guaranteed that I will fall asleep at some point while sitting likely multiple times. and Ladder stands just seem to provide more safety for me. Luckily I am on private land where I could leave the stands out 365 if I wanted. I will take them down once I am through for the season just to keep them out of the weather some.