Tree stand pulley system

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swise660, Jul 21, 2015.

1. dthbyhoyt

dthbyhoyt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  2. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Why not just make some type of hook to hang the stand on kind of like the ez hang hook for lone wolf stands. that way you can have the stand on your back and just hang it on the hook. I think the pulley system is just going to be more work for you. Plus carrying one additional thing with you with rope.

3. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What I tried was carrying the stand on my back, up the tree. That was a lot of work for me, then trying to get it off my back and swing it around was tough too. Even if I did just use a hook to hang it on once I get up there, it still puts me through the struggle of trying to get up the tree and the stand off my back. I don't feel safe when I try it. Hoisting it up is going to save me a lot of work.

I will be looking over these pulley systems that others had mentioned, take into consideration other people's systems that were shared here and decide if I am going to buy one or make one.

There isn't a lot to one of these pulley systems, so it's not like I will be carrying in a ton more stuff with this.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a little bigger pull rope to pull my bow or whatever up the tree that I keep in my pack all the time. When I go hang stands I first climb up and wrap the rope around the top step once or twice so that it will still slide toward the middle so the clip that hooks to gear and the other end are down far enough to reach while on ground. Then climb back down ladder sticks and tie stand to rope. Then just pull on the other end until the stand is the height I want and tie the rope off to a lower step on the ladder and climb back up and do what needs to do.

So far it's worked well for me and have never had a stand fall. Just had the cost of the rope and works same way as any pulley system.

5. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's what I do and it only costs about 5 bucks. I take a extra tree strap from the harness that came with the harness with the stand (free) , a lock link caribiner and a small pulley from the hard ware store ($4) and some paracord (free, because who doesn't have this).
    I'll hang my stick, strap the link and pulley to the tree about a foot above where I want the seat at. And just use the system to hoist it. If you need a break just wrap the line around one of your sticks for a minute.
    Once at the height I want I just tie it of and strap it to the tree.
    Then I take the other dollar and get a cup of coffee.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the lesson here is each person has to come up with what works best for them. But one shouldn't get stuck doing the same thing if that isn't working with them. I can say I went through a lot of trial and error to perfect what works for me. I know I have changed the way I do things over the years.

Something I think you should also consider is the number of trips up and down the tree it will take you with what ever process you have. Those trips cost you alot energy and increase your risk for a mishap. Slow, study, and a consistent routine will win if you can figure out how to make a single trip. I like to be sneaky as I see deer a lot earlier if I can get in quiet.

I'd encourage everyone to try to come up with a way that they can get up the tree with all their gear without having to climb up and down as you will see deer much earlier.

For me: I made loops on my harness for my climbing sticks that hang off my hips, wear the stand on my back and use a single pull rope to pull my gear and bow to the top. One trip!

7. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly what I have as well with the loops on the side of my Harness for the sticks.

8. myot

myot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I have the same system and I use it all the time on heavier stands I leave in for a few weeks a time
    It works great and I find it quite safe

Dan