Truck owners and brand loyalty.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, May 18, 2015.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Coming in a little late, but I've had Ford/Chevy/Dodges, and the Fords were the BEST in off-roading situations, having a better 4x4 drivetrain in my experience, but they were always thirsty, drinking far too much fuel. I liked the Chevy, but it had electrical issues, and seemed slightly underpowered, and not capable at all off-road, had to pull it out with my Dodge 2x, I have a NEW 2015 Ram 2500 Crew Long Bed with a Cummins and AISIN trans that thus far is GREAT, tows great, decent on fuel 17.5-18.5mpg in mixed town/road driving, one full road tank of 21.9mpg, and my wife LOVES it..... (Very important) My truck that I'm finishing some work on that I'm getting ready to sell is a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with a Cummins and a 5-speed, it has been as good a truck as I could ask for, not quite the off-road capable vehicle as the 2 Fords, but still very capable, great on fuel IF I can stay out of it, fun to drive (especially after several modifications along the last 16 years pushing it to around 530HP and 1100 ft/#'s of torque), even more fun that my dad's Corvette he had several years ago, rust was only an issue in the last 2-3 years, and I only had one small spot in a cap corner, but I also took pretty good care of it, bottoms of both doors rusted out, which are now fixed with new sheet metal and soon to be Rhino-lined to prevent further issues in the future for the next owner. But for my money, both Dodge/Ram trucks seemed to be the best likely value when all options were considered. The old 2500 has had about 35,000 of it's 215K with a trailer behind it, and been a very good truck, but the new one tows even better, and has so much more "nice stuff" that I feel spoiled just climbing into it...

I'm a diesel guy (and you can't beat a CUMMINS, even Fords' big trucks offer a Cummins as a higher priced more capable option to a Powerstroke), but if I were buying a GAS engine truck, my money would still go to Chevy/GM as their transmissions are probably the best on the market for a TRUCK that is going to be used as a TRUCK.....

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had every brand.....no more Dodges for me. Toyota is what I buy usually. If not them, Chevrolet. Ford Rangers are good trucks though. I had two F150's....spend too much time working on them and both were new.

Sent from my XT830C

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Funny this was bumped. I had all but convinced myself to pull the trigger, then not pull the trigger. Now, I'm back on the fence. Plan to test drive a '15 Tundra while my wife's 4runner is having the inspection/service done.

I'm actually hearing good things from the Dodge camp (not the Eco Diesel). That 8spd along with a mild mannered gearing really helps the mpg from what people are reporting. Ford was really the only other one in the running this time around, but they're pricey. A good friend of mine just bought a '15 Crew Cab with the 2.7 Ecoboost. He's getting great mileage, and the interior is awesome. He won't EVER haul with it, though, and part of my "upgrade" is to be able to tow a mid size RV a few years down the road.

That and to make room for...kids:eek:

4. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've got an '08 Tundra Crewmax, no issues in 55K miles. Two of the kids parents on my travel team just traded for '15 Tundra crewmax XSP-X; one traded a F-250 (he bought new) the other traded his Duramax (one owner also). The guy with the Duramax pulls a 16ft box trailer 5 days a week, he stocks gas stations/convenient stores etc, he "says" he only lost 2 mpg going to the Tundra.

5. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  6. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had two fords, the tranny blew up on one with 119k miles. The second one started having major problems at 140k, both of these vehicles were very well maintained. My dad had an '04 F-150, the windows leaked, motors didn't work and the tranny blew up at 70k miles.

Dad also has a '00 Z71 that got a new transmission after 338K miles on the original.

I have a 2006 Tundra, that has been an outfitting vehicle for the last 5 years. I have 233k miles, and you'd be hard pressed to find "harder" miles on any vehicle. I'll buy another tundra because I know what mine has been through and I have no doubt that any of the other trucks I've owned wouldn't have fared as well.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, that generation of Tundra is bulletproof. Jury is still out on the 07+.

My dad's 2003 F250 has been in the shop quite a bit through its lifetime. His F150 prior to that had not. It was a great truck.

8. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Been a Chevy/GMC truck man all my life and don't plan on changing. Love my duramax Z71

9. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned every brand of truck. The tundra I have now is my favorite of all time.

10. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Just a quick update. I've had some time to do research, and while that's still not helping much, I did get out and test drive two separate RAM 1500 Diesels, a 2013 SCREW Platinum F150 3.5 Ecoboost, 2015 F150 SCREW 2.7 Ecoboost, and '14 Platinum Tundra Crewmax.

They all have their pros and cons. My wife is dead set on me going with a Tundra as she thinks they're the best bet reliability and resale wise (plus she likes their looks :D ). I would be on board with her, but I can't get past the horrendous gas mileage.

The RAM Diesels remind of a little tractor. Really like their ride and feel. Just not sure I want to jump into the diesel world with all of the unknowns with the SCR, DEF, sensors, etc., The mileage is absolutely stellar. Most likely, I would expect about 25-26mpg with my 95% highway commute.

The F150s were smooth and powerful. They drive more like a small truck which I like. I think I would want the SCREW long bed, though, which means the 2.7 is out. The 3.5 sounds just as thirsty as the Tundra, and the 5.0, is, well, not as fun :).

Sometimes I wish I was one of the people I was referencing in my original post. So brand loyal that it's not even a decision.

Hoping to narrow it down and pull the trigger before school starts back up in August.

11. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt, I don't recall seeing ...but is the Silverado out of the running?

Also I semi stopped to look at the Ram ecodiesel the other day and was suprise in what I saw. I want to go drive one now, lol thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Not really. They don't really offer much the other three don't and I've never been thrilled with their looks. Just personal preference.

As for the RAM. If I could get over my bullheaded presumption that all RAMs fall apart instantly, the Eco Diesel would be in my garage already.

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You call it bullheaded, I call it learning from experience. ;)

Out of the five vehicles we have, one is currently not driveable.... It's the Mopar. >:( lol

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't attest to the other major makers, but I can say that Dodge/Mopar sheet metal is paper thin...my 13 is already bubble rusting in/around a few rock chipped spots and a stiff breeze seems to give it door dings. Granted the past 2 winters were horrendous with lots of salt on the roads but my old man's 2013 GovMotors 1500 still looks brand new. FWIW, mine is garaged and his is not.

15. Christine

Dislikes Received:
  16. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, saw that. Yikes. In their defense, I would imagine as more connected options are implemented in vehicles, there are going to be vulnerabilities, unfortunately. Something to be said for simplicity.

17. Christine

Dislikes Received:
  18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Told my wife this morning I'm glad I went with my gut on that RAM I test drove. May have dodged (pun not intended :D) a bullet on that one.

19. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow...

20. Christine

Dislikes Received: