Buckeye's "new to land management / improvement" thread.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by buckeye, Mar 28, 2015.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No. This property owner has never had a cam or stand stolen in all the years he has owned it. Figures, soon as I put mine out they disappear.

2. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back to the management aspect.

When do I want to spray the area that I limed and tilled earlier to plant the Winter Greens? It is growing in, not near as thick as before but is approaching knee height in most areas with some areas of 3 to 4 feet high.

I have a full jug (2 and a half gallons) of Buccaneer Plus glyphsosate herbicide. Supposed to mix 8 ounces to one gallon of water.

Do I need to mow it for now and spray later? Spray now? Etc etc. Advice welcome and appreciated.

3. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We plan on spraying our future turnip plots this weekend. I like to plant ours around late July. I've tried planting later around early August and have found that our plots turn out better when planted late July. If the field is knee to waist high, now is the perfect time to spray. Try to get them before they go to seed. When are you planning on planting?

4. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Set this today with an old cam that doesn't work.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck!

6. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I talked to a buddy on the sheriff's dept. Today....he said find someone who works in law enforcement and get a few business cards..put a card inside each camera.

7. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks fr the reply. I called the whitetail institute this morning. They said to go ahead and spray it anytime now. WI says to plant the winter greens between July 15th and Sept 15th. Probably get to it the end of this month to the beginning of August.

8. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea. Thanks

9. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is the best advice I've ever seen, Scott :D If this place is a couple hours south of you, it's in decent proximity to me. Holler if you need me.

This is one of the best threads I've seen in
    years.

Quick question for boonerville: is it ok to wait a couple weeks between tilling and broadcasting seed & fertilizer?

10. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the offer Josh. However it is all the way up here. BTW my sister in law just moved to C-bus, she moved down there to work at Wexner Medical Center. I will holler at you when I am down that way.

So I got this place sprayed on Saturday morning. What is the next step before the Winter Greens? So I burn it, mow it, till it?

11. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    buckeye. once the vegitation burns down (complete kill), i would NOT disturb the soil. that will just bring up more dormant seeds to the surface.
    mow it real low, spread the seed late july and lightly drag it with a piece of chainlink fence.
    and pray for rain:hail:

12. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Usually it will be fine as long as you drag or roll the seed in....provided there hasn't been a lot of heavy rain since you tilled to compact the soil

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info.

Another question. I sprayed this on Saturday morning. How soon can I get back to inspect the field for spots that I may have missed? Like a touch up spray.

14. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    In 4-5 days you should be able to tell.

15. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Beers will be on me :beer:

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Went back and checked the plot. I didn't miss a lot but got the few areas sprayed again today that I did miss. It wasn't as far along as I anticipated it to be. A lot Yellowing, but not a lot of browning.

Does this seem right? I sprayed on Saturday. There was no rain for over a day after I sprayed, Today would have been the fourth day.

17. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It will take a good 10-15 days for a things to really die off hard and be brown.

One more idea on the cams. I heard a local contact that wrote with a sharpie on the front of the cameras saying "IL DNR" on them. He hasn't lost one since.

18. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it's yellow, it's dead. Good luck.

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went and mowed the plot today. There was one small area and one medium size area I missed when spraying that I did not mow today, but sprayed those areas. Figured I'd mow those two parts again the day I plant. You can see the larger area i missed on the far side of the second photo where it looks like the plot ends. It is a strip about 6 feet wide by 20 yards long. The plot goes another 20 or so yards past that strip in the photo. Here are some photos.

[​IMG]

Across the narrow section of the bean field to the NW section of the plot.

[​IMG]

The NE section of the plot. I left the tall weeds on the right and made this strip to encourage the deer to enter and exit the plot here like a cattle chute for photos.

[​IMG]

Here is a couple photos after I mowed it.

This is the same strip pictured above, although pictured from the opposite direction looking to the bean field.

[​IMG]

The most I could get of the plot in one photo. I would say it shows between 1/2 and 3/4 of the plot.

[​IMG]

Lesson I learned was I should have mowed the weeds between when I tilled it and when I sprayed it. I used way more spray and spent way more time spraying than I needed to had the weeds not been as tall.

Found a shed buired today also.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  20. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good! If the weeds and thatch after mowing isn't too thick, I've had good results mowing and spraying in the same day. There were a few plots last year that we couldn't make it back in time to mow before planting and decided to spray the same day. They say to wait for new growth after mowing to spray, but I bet we had close to 100% kill doing both the same day.