2014 Colorado Archery Elk Hunt Invite

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CowboyColby, Feb 27, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2016 wasn't veto'd by the wife!!!! 2018 is a sure thing but 2016 is a go unless we have a kid. PUMPED!!!!

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome! There are ways to not have kids! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Right....made me feel bad that this crossed my mind!

Serious question tho, I realized I can make do with a lot of my gear but a solid set of binocs is a crucial thing no? If yes any recs.

4. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and no.... I bought a set of Vortex diamondbacks 10x42 for $200. Great binoculars for a good price.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah love Vortex and thought about those, they were sufficient enougg?

6. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly most of the places we were hunting the timber is so thick you can't even glass at all. I barely used mine, I just brought my Nikon monarch 12x42 I already had.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of steiner 12x50s. They're bulky tho'. This year I might buy smaller binos. I bought my husband the vortex 10x42s and I kind of like them better. The higher power is nice if you have a rest and want to see details but otherwise the higher power is just heavier and shakier.

8. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty. Not a ton of open places where you can glass a few hundred yards. They are compact and lightweight so they weren't bad to carry.

9. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holy crap, is this thread still going?, step away from the keyboard now..... before you become highly addicted to Elk Camp, cuz once you've been, there's no going back to normal life :)

What happens in Elk Camp, stays in Elk Camp ;)

It's late here, but I'll be back!

10. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    No one invited you Dave!!!

11. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Step down littleman(Dan), I don't need an invite lol, I'll be there anyway :)

When I first went to Elk Camp back in 2008, I wore denim predator jacket and 8x pocket pants, with a Helly Hanson baselayer and did fine (even got into Elk, saw Mule Deer). As time and experience have been gained, I've equipped myself with better gear and that's mainly due to spending more time on the Mountain and Drop Camping up there.
    One thing you'll need to spend on is Boots, I've worn Meindl Burma Pro GTX boots everytime and have never had a blister or been uncomfortable, I wear Merino Wool socks(no liner socks).
    A nice day pack is useful if you plan on hunting from Camp and returning to Camp, but you'll need sturdier stuff if you're thinking of staying on the Mountain. You'll also need a good sleeping bag, temperature drops quite steeply at night at that time of year, if you're cold you won't sleep well and that will spoil the experience.
    As for Binoculars, get the best you can afford, I'm only using Bushnell Trophy 8x40, but I've looked through others Binoculars and you definitely get what you pay for.

One thing I can guarantee, you will have an awesome time and will definitely be back for the next one and trust me, you won't find better accommodation, including food for $100 anywhere else. Beware, there is a lot of banter between the Brits, Aussies and Americans, to join in could prove fatal HAHAHA!!.

Take note of Matt's generous advice, I've seen him grow from greenhorn into a Elk hunting machine, the experience he has gained has made him quite successful in this Unit in a short time. Although he is anti social lol:D, he's a great friend and Camp Buddy(looking forward to seeing you in 2016 Matt).
    None of this of course would be available if it wasn't for the Will(iamyourhuckleberry), he has opened his arms and Camp to all and sewn the seed for future Elk Hunters, the result is one heck of an Elk Camp experience.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  12. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    4 pictures, taken at 2yr gaps over 8yrs, camo changed, bow changed, but not the boots and backpack.

Pictures are mixed up a little, but basically, its 2008, 2014, 2010 then 2013. I've pretty much got my gear sorted now, athough I'd like a better pack, but I'm getting married next year, so that will have to wait till 2017 :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Man as inexperienced as I'll be (greener than Matt probably ever was) for Elk I'm gonna work my tail off to make 2016 happen!

14. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I knew Dave would pop in soon enough :) You will do fine Ty. You have hunting experience and that will get ya off the ground. A lot of the more experienced guys have no problems letting the less experienced guys roll with them so they can learn the ropes. You will be a elk hunting machine in no time!

15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    That's what I fear...everyone here and all my hunting buddies said that first close bugle will change me forever haha! :D

16. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    binocs crucial - no, would be just fine without them. But they can add enjoyment, especially above treeline. Although - I have not carried my binocs the last 2 seasons as I found myself almost never using them, especially in the dark timber. If I planned any day with a decent amount of time above treeline I would carry them. I have Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 and think they are good "middle of the road" binoc. Really enjoy them whitetail hunting.

Hard to beat Will's big camp, and this IL boy especially enjoyed the great mix of internationals along with others from across the US. Will started the fire for me - and I'll always be greatful - truly would not have done it without him!

There's not a square inch of elk country I do not find beautiful...love seeing these pics.

All I'd ever done is sit in a treestand for whitetails in IL...had never hunted out of state. Going from hunting 20 acre woodlots to 100,000's of acres of wilderness was amazing to me!

That sound is sure hard to beat!

Things are shaping up for the IL boys to head out again this year - and looks like Greg will be meeting us out there as well - should be fun. I really want to spend some time trying to get my Dad an elk as I'm not sure how many more years he plans to bring the bow...but looks like only 5 full days of hunting again so he better have his legs in shape:)
    Each year I hope to hear at least one bugle, and see at least one elk...and if 5 minutes into day one I have a cow standing in front of me - that arrow is going to fly...

17. frogtosser

frogtosser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to hear a bugle this year. Last year I have learned a lot after seeing that huge bull across the meadow right before dark. I have to find some good dark wet timber this year and maybe find an elk in it. Bz is your freezer empty yet? That opening day kill sounds good and so does fresh elk.

18. DarkTimber

DarkTimber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For the medium to dense forest, a Vortex Solo 10x36 Monocular ($110) has served me well.

Since ditching my heavier binos for the monocular, I now glass into the forest more often than before. I also use it at the outdoor range. Weighs nearly nothing. A monocular is not meant for long periods of glassing. It is great for a quick check to look for brown, tan and antlers. While holding my bow, I can easily grab the monocular to look for elk or deer.

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Monocle has been on my list to grab for quite sometime now just never actually finalized the choice and purchase.

20. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Not a bad idea! I bought my binoculars because I wanted a good pair for my normal deer hunting. Like you said though, aren't a necessity but I'll carry the little bit extra weight.