What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by OK/Sooner, Jul 3, 2013.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm back to working out again and going through the insanity workout again. Feels good to be preparing for elk hunting.

2. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great thread! I've just spent an hour reading threw the whole thing. I'm planning to be in Colorado first half of September this year and it will just be me and my brother, we call each other every morning to make sure the other is on some kind of walk/run/hike getting ready. Once September gets closer The workouts will become more intense but as for right now its just a maintaining game for us both.

3. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just bought a 40 pound bag of dirt that I plan on wrapping up with duct tape to prevent it from ripping. Plan on putting it in backpack and hiking around the bluffs by Mississippi this weekend. This should make my regular pack set up feel like nothing. Hopefully this doesn't kill me. Ha

4. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
  5. Stefan Wilson

Stefan Wilson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started my website for this exact purpose. Getting ready for an elk hunt is no joke and shouldn't be taken lightly. I write workouts and write articles about gear, nutrition, and training that can help. I get ready by learning, training, and helping others do the same thing.

6. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I need to do this. Dumbbells don't work too well.

7. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Works alright. Keeps weight somewhat spread out. I need to keep it higher on pack next time.

8. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What pack do you have?

I'll be putting it in the pack. Also need to work on my pack adjustments, seems like it rides too low.

9. scarps23

Dislikes Received:
    Tenzing 6000. I'm tall and that is one of the few I found that would fit. It is also adjustable for torso length so you can make sure to get the load on your hips. I found it on sale a couple of years ago. It is a really nice pack. Everything well thought out.

My plan was to put inside pack in a spot they have for meat, but it looked two wide after I gorilla taped it up. It wasn't very flexible. This worked for the purpose I wanted. Just need to strap it higher next time.

10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got three dry bags filled with dirt last night. 30, 50, and 70 pounds. Have a couple of good inclines around my house to practice on in the upcoming weeks.

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jumped on the stairmill at lunch today for 30 minutes at 116 steps/minute...new high for me. The machine (and me) were a sweaty mess when I got done...
    I maxed out at 115 last year for 30 min right before elk camp...hope to work up to 125 steps/min for 30 min leading up to Sept...
    Still keeping my weekly goals simple - getting in 5, 30 minute workouts each week...any combo of running, stairs, elliptical, free weights, and body weight exercises.

Will start weighted pack hikes at night here in a couple weeks...

Those mountains will always let you know how good of shape you are in - especially if lucky enough to load a pack down with meat:)

Keep up the good work fellas!

12. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ran 2 miles this afternoon. I'll be getting my pack out tomorrow and getting it ready to put weights in and hike with it.

13. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Opening week will be here soon. I've been riding my bike every morning and playing basketball every night. I'll start loading my pack down in the next couple weeks. I'm heading to Colorado July 20th to do some scouting and hiking. We will see how good of shape I'm in on that trip.

14. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ran 2 miles each day for the past two days. I'll start hiking with a loaded pack this coming week. I'm starting to get really excited about heading to Idaho.

15. MO Shorthair

MO Shorthair Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm late joining in on this thread. I don't think I'm getting to Colorado this year for an elk hunt, but I'm still working out like I will be there just in case. Running is great to get ready and if you want to change it up search "train to hunt" and sign up for their 30 day trial. It's daily workouts that are tailored to hunters. I did a Train to Hunt Challenge in Colorado a couple of weeks ago and it was fantastic. It's very similar to a CrossFit style workout but most things you can do in your home. I shared most of my workouts with my hunting buddy and he now swears that they helped him prepare.

I bought a Exo Mountain 5500 pack last year and really like the design and comfort. I was able to load it for a 7 day backcountry elk hunt last year and honestly had too much crap that I didn't need, but I had the space. It seems to be very versatile and well thought out. If you google it you will find several links reviewing it and if you go on Rokslide's forum which is a western based site you will see a conversation thread talking about them.

Also, being a flatlander and heading to elevation consume a lot of water leading up to and while hiking on the mountain and I took a Wilderness Athlete Altitude supplement. I can't swear that it works, but I know I didn't get altitude sickness or extremely fatigued while hiking into our camp.

Good luck to everyone and I look forward to following this thread

16. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've read all good things about the Exo. Seems like a great pack. I run a bikini frame with a Nomad from Kifaru. I love that system. Worked great out west last year. Like you I carried in way to much stuff. I'll be taking a lot less this year.

17. Eatonantlers

Eatonantlers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Elk hunting is all the motivation I need to get, and stay, in shape.
    I leave for Idaho on Sept. 16th. The routine I have right now includes running 3 times/week 2-2.5 miles/run at a 10:30 pace or better. On the off days I walk 2.5-3 miles at a 15:30 pace or better. This is done on my lunch hour at work. I use the Runkeeper app on my smartphone combined with IHeart Radio.
    We also have a workout room with an elipticle, stationary bike, weight set, etc. This is handy in the winter and on inclement weather days. Also nice to have a shower here at work as well.
    I'm adding weight training this week and will have a weight day every other day and a run day every in between day, 6 days/week.
    I live at +-800', camp at 6,800' and hunt up to 9,500'. At 54 I think I keep up alright and look forward to doing it until I die. :)
    Weight has always been an issue for me and right now I'm 15# heavier than I'd like to be when I leave. Watching my diet and laying off the snacks usually gets me where I need to be. This gets harder as I age though. LOL

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  18. Eatonantlers

Dislikes Received:

What unit in Idaho JakeD? I hunt the Beaverhead unit. I lived in DuBois for 2 years in my teen years.

19. Eatonantlers

Dislikes Received:
    scarps, do you hunt with your hiking sticks? I don't know how I ever hunted the mountains without them before last year.

20. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be hunting in the panhandle with Clark fork outfitters. I'm really looking forward to seeing Idaho. My older brother and dad bear hunted somewhere up there before and loved it. I'm sure I will too, I love the west and the mountains.