Alaskan Vacation

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by 130Woodman, Jun 14, 2015.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I leave in 10 days for Alaska with the wife and daughter. We rented an RV in Anchorage and we are going to drive towards Denali. After Denali we are looking for some stuff to do so here's the question. What are some other activities to do, some outdoorsy some not? We're open to any suggestion. Thanks

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do not waste your time and go to Fairbanks it is a crap hole. Denali in the early morning then stick to the coast, go fishing.

3. ATbuckhunter

ATbuckhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could always go fishing! Nothing wrong with some fresh salmon. Bring some pepper spray and some guns for the bear.

4. BikiBoki

BikiBoki Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your heading for Denali...try to check out the Tangle River for Grayling on a fly rod - memories are made from that stuff!! Hope you have a great trip....but be very careful...you're not going to want to come back!:lol:

Bill

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check online you can only drive so far into Denali then you have to go by tour bus. Beautiful place but small trees.

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Denali definitely look into either the tour bus (around $30/each I think) or a chartered site seeing flight. You can only drive in the first 15 miles of the road entering the park and buses only from there on out. We will be biking in next weekend and flying out if I can get off work (around 70 miles to wonder lake then a chartered float plane out).

Fish are starting to hit the rivers pretty steadily right now. Thousands of pleasant hikes to do in the South Central area. Can rent a bike in downtown Anchorage and ride the coastal trail down to Kincaid Park (12 miles or so). The Glacier Cruise out of Whittier is cool (it's like half a day and the boat takes you to see like 34 glaciers or something like that). Alaska has millions of things to do but nearly all are outdoorsy and most of which aren't really accessible from the road system. Tons of good food and drinks in Anchorage.

Anything in particular you are interested in doing or seeing?

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are definitely doing the Denali flight tour along with the bus tour but my daughter doesn't want to do a lot of hiking. If it was up to me I could hike and site see the whole time along with some fishing. I would like too see as much as possible but still let my daughter have an enjoyable trip. The glacier cruise sounds fun I'll look into that I really want to try and find a moose or a caribou shed. I'm game for anything just looking for some choices. Thanks

8. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We took a helicopter from Denali resort out and landed on a glacier. We hiked around some there and it was a great experience for us and the kids. We saw a ton of wildlife from the helicopter. Also, take the bus tour in Denali. Again, we saw lots of wildlife including several brown bears. They have plain old school buses and some really nice coach type buses. I would definitely spend the extra and get the nice coach. So much more comfortable and you are on it for quite a long time. We also whitewater rafted at Denali. The train from Denali to Anchorage is a beautiful ride also. We also did a one day fly-in fishing trip that was amazing. I caught a lot of salmon and a Dolly varden. The sled dog experience is also a good time. You will also enjoy the glacier tour. Its hard to go wrong in Alaska. Everything you do there will be a lifetime memory. Enjoy!

9. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    lots to do .... if ya have the time (2 days each way)... drive up the Dalton Hwy to Deadhorse (Prudoe Bay).. crossing the Arctic Circle on the way, then do the Polar Bear plunge into the Arctic Ocean ... or go south from Anchorage, and check out some of the fishing towns or walk on a Glacier... Beautiful country no matter where you go..