XXX 2014 Champions Official Team Thread XXX

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by Heckler, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had more wet weather today. I slept in for some much needed zzzzzzsssss. I don't know if my *** could have bared another 4-6 hour sit 3 days back to back anyway.

Going to try to hunt more then I work this week. :) What is everyone else doing? Anyone still hunting that hasn't filled their tag?

Chamnps going to fall this year?!!! Say it aint so!!!!

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm still hunting Jason...
    Won't be out again though until Thursday (the 14th). Got a NYS Hunting Guide buddy going with me to call and video a Bullhead kill. We'll be going back to the area where the 3 hens were and the Toms were gobbling like crazy, but never showed.

I hope to hunt everyday from the 14th to the 23rd; then the 26th & 27th; then the 29th, 30th, and the 31st.

Has Alissa been out hunting??? She's the monsta' killer. Can't let the Champs go down without a fight!!!

Edit: Oh... I see her season ended on 4/29 = Bummer!

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Heck... you could have almost jumped on her!

4. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the blind. Super windy. You'd think I lived in KS huh? Spooked 5 toms and a hen on the way in. Don't think I spooked them to bad. Just going to sit here without calling for an hour or so. Not that they can hear me anyway.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4 toms and a hen came in. They hang up around 40 yards no matter what I try. This is the 3rd hunt that has went this way. I've tried call a lot, a
    little, and none at all. I've tried a all kinds of combinations of decoys. Every thing from a single to 5. I've repositioned twice. I've tried both morning and evenings. Bunch of homosexual toms!

Maybe it's a timing thing. This is my last hunt at this spot for awhile.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the blind on a different property. The property has changed since years past. Land owner appears to have bulldozed all the timber. Damn shame. I hear faint gobbles. I'll give it a shot I suppose being I'm here.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spent from sunup to 2PM in the blind. That was a bust. I did see 3 deer, 2 hens, and 1 unconfirmed turkey. I also had a tom right on top of me gobbling but I never did see him. Overall a real disappointment.

I will say someone was looking out for me today. On the one home I must have been in la la land because I blew right through a stop sign. As I had the oh **** moment I looked in the mirror and watch a pickup from the crossroad zoom through the inner section at 65 mph.... I almost puked....

Guess it wasn't my time....

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay... I'm p**ssed! Highly!!!!!!!!!!!
    My guide buddy never showed, called or anything this morning! Didn't really surprise me though... he did it once before during deer season a few years ago.

So, because it's only 35*'s here this morning (at the moment... there's a frost melting currently), I'm going to go to my cousin's property and try to see if I can call in a bird. The property I was going to take the guide to was the property that was about an hour away and where the 3 hens were out in front of the blind last week.

Why do people do that... make plans, but just not show up or anything! This guy is MUCH younger than I and has a family... has our old-time value system deteriorated THAT much? I was taught by my parents to have more respect than that... especially to my elders.

Oh well... :rant: over!

9. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hear that. I've had a few guys do that to me over the years. It's hard enough for me to get away from work. It Tori's me when I talk to whom ever is going with me the night before never shows or is late. Those guys stop getting invited and then they wonder why. ....

Started raining here at 4 PM last night and hasn't stopped. I slept in. May try an afternoon hunt.

10. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing! Darn birds anyway... oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, all my seasons are over with. I ended up shotgunning 2 birds in Missouri and 1 bird in Wisconsin. It was a great season, just wish I could've gotten it done with my bow. Sorry to disappoint. Keep after them fellas, sounds like you are close to getting it done.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have to leave the gun at home and hunt with the bow to kill them with a bow.

13. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. Well I was using my bow but it got to the point where I had to use the sure thing or come home empty handed. I ended up having to take my wife and help my neighbor kill a bird too. It was a lot easier last year when everybody else tagged out first.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Started raining here Friday and didn't stop until Sunday AM. We hunted hard Sunday afternoon. Didn't see a single gobbler or hear any gobbling for that matter. Hunted two properties and scouted a 3rd at last light. The outlook is not looking very promising.

Should I resort to shooting a bird over a feeder?

15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not unless that is something you would enjoy doing outside of the pressures of putting a bird on the board for the contest. Do whatever makes you happy. Do it for you.

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never killed a animal over a feeder. That's just not my style. It doesn't do anything for me. I am even put off if the gobbler doesn't sound off and flare up before I kill him. lol! Call me crazy.. but I have to feel like I did it rather then just sitting somewhere where I know they are going to be.

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rain all night here again. I slept in. I'm in the blind now. Spooked some on the way in. It's 48 degrees and light rain.... :(

18. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Colder than sin here and the wind is howling... I actually stayed in today :(

19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just saw my first bird of the day. A hen.... I sure am good calling those in.....

20. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep at it guys! Good luck!

I went out with my buddy yesterday and I was able to call this bird and one other tom in for him. It was one of the most exciting hunts I've ever been on, I've never heard so many gobbles! 10 inch beard and 1 1/8 white spurs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2015