XXX 2014 Champions Official Team Thread XXX

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by Heckler, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Any gobbles this morning Jerry? If not, I'd think you may need to find a new spot. Rarely ever I don't hear any gobbles on the roost in the morning if there are birds in the area.

2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gobbles here this morning.
    uploadfromtaptalk1430748162304.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430749417.131248.jpg

I'm in the blind this morning. Had to put the kids on the bus so I got a late start. Sitting in a draw leading up to a big pond. Hope to catch them on the way through.

4. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The birds appeared to be content staying high on the ridge. None came into the field. Meetings tomorrow, then back at it on Wednesday. I'm going to have my Amish buddy's 16 year old son in the blind with me. Oughta be fun.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had 5 jakes roll into my set mid morning. They beat the crap out of my jake decoy. I was able to resist my temptation. I'll give it another go Wednesday.

6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the blind with my Amish buddy's son. Wouldn't you know it, the birds are gobbling like crazy this morning. Hope he can get his first bird today.
    [​IMG]
    It rained last evening and is drizzling this morning. The most vocal bird sounds like it's across the river to our north. I'm so praying for one to come into the decoys for Amos.

7. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice picture of Amos's feet. :( Amish don't like their picture taken heh?

8. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NO... they don't pose for photos. It's like stealing their sole. Had two hens walk beside the blind, third came to the field from the woods. No beards yet. It's damp and cold. Kid says he's hungry... going home for breakfast, then back at it alone by the sounds of things. I think he's bored, tired, cold and disappointed they weren't jakes or toms.

9. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Back in blind.
    [​IMG]

Moved blind a tad.
    [​IMG]

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a good spot to me!

11. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    About 8 more hours and we will be at the Wisconsin property. My little brother filled his 2nd tag this morning, so we already have a good start to the day.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Came back from the store tonight a had 5 gobblers back of the house sounding off every time it thundered.

I snuck down around them and pulled the card. Near as I can tell there are at least 7 gobblers in the pasture every day. Split beard may have to take a dirt nap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jason... you are BLESSED young man - truly truly blessed!!!

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the blind. Just sitting in the dark waiting on the first gobble. Literally had a momma doe walk up to the blind and dang near stick her head in here.!:)

15. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Planned on being in the blind today myself... wife signed us up to attend an event at Family Life Network today. So I'm on the road to have a fun-filled day with a bunch of other old, white-haired seniors to enjoy life and give praise to our Lord & Savior.

I'll be back in the blind tomorrow !!!

16. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Second deer that walk with 5 yards of the blind this morning.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just flicked up the shot on a big bird. :( dang Tom circled the blind twice and then strutted behind the blind at 15 yards for almost 2 hours.

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well that was a long day. I hunted sun up to sun down. Didn't see of hear much of anything this morning. It rained all night and was still sprinkling when I arrived at the blind this morning. I only heard a handful of gobbles and had only one lonely hen enter my spread. I grabbed a bite to eat just after noon and reset.

I didn't even get the blind setup and was hearing a ton of mid afternoon gobbling. I few soft calls and the first tom entered the field almost on queue. Unfortunately he had 3 hens with him and he wouldn't break off . The lead hen was a real chatter box. After 2 full loops around the blind they ended up within 20 yards behind me for 2 full hours. Finally the lead hen did a drive bye and the tom couldn't resist. He entered my spread and immediately attacked my jake decoy. He made short work of knocking it to the ground. He then mounted it and started humping it. Just as I release he hopped and I hit him square in the chest just below his neck with a bull head. Looked like I hit a feather pillow with a shot gun. I never did get a second shot on him.

Some time later 4 more toms entered the field. I one time I counted a total of 15 birds within 100 yards. I had 3 amigos gobbling their heads off but again they would not break from the hens. I thought surely they would run over and smack the crap out of my decoy.... I watched them for hours... It was real daunting.

Just before dark I re-positioned the blind for tomorrow's morning hunt. If they pattern anything like they did today they are going to be in trouble! Taking my oldest boy with me in the morning. He is going to give it another go with the x-bow. I will dream of a father -son archery double tonight!

First pic is the bird I smacked square in the chest. Didn't seem to faze him as he was right back to full strut not to long after I bounced one off his chest, less a few feather. :p

Second pic is the 3 amigos tormenting me.....

Wish me luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2015
  19. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a fun filled morning with my boy. The only thing that would have made it better is if he would have harvested a bird.

We had two hens blow through the spread just after daylight. 15 or so minutes later we had a single gobbler stroll bye just out of range. I believe this to be the same bird I shot at last night. He seemed to not like the jake decoy so I pulled it as soon as he was out of sight. We then had a lull until mid-morning however the birds were vocal throughout the day.

The 3 amigos stopped to see us but disappeared almost as quickly as they appeared. That's when things got real interesting. We has a single boss hen come in and start kicking the snot out of all the decoys. This went on for well over an hour. All the commotion had the gobblers hammering. Before we knew it the 3 amigos were back and this time a single jake showed up at almost the same time from the opposite direction. This wasn't good as the 3 dominate birds were more concerned about running off the jake. After the 3 kicked the jake to the curb they slowly started to work their way in. My boy had a limited shot opportunity and I couldn't get him o pull the trigger on the x-bow. He said the birds were just moving around to much.

After they left the boss hen was still whaling on the decoys. For fun I slid out the backside of the blind to see how close I could sneak up to her with my "Turkey Fan" blind I bought this spring. I'd say I was within 4-5 ft before she got skittish.

We went home at noon to get a bite to eat. We (I) had every intent to go back out this evening but my boy decided he didn't want too and my wife then took it upon herself to make other plans for me. :)

Here is a pic of the boss hen being all bossy.

My boy took a video of me sneaking up on the hen. I will upload it later...

[​IMG]

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [video]https://www.facebook.com/jason.padgett.90/videos/10152882523648014/?l=6790565042889369618[/video]