Team 4 Turkey contest

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by anthonyzink, Mar 16, 2015.

1. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't like using toms unless I'm after THE tom in the area. I prefer the jake decoys so you don't spook a decent bird that's had his butt whipped before.
    Good luck Monday!

2. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry it took me so long to get this posted! Had to find a program to convert my file from my camera to my macbook! Anyway heres the story! I got setup probably 20-30 minutes before first light and shortly after first light i had birds talking all around me! Thought I was going to get the deal sealed really early but after about an hour they all went quit talking. :rant: Well 9 o'clock hits and i'm like screw it I'm packing up and heading home and give it another try. Well right after i got out of my blind i was like hell i'll give one more call out and what do you know as soon as i did i had a bird gobble back at me about 50-60 into the trees!!!! i hurry up and get back in the blind and call at him again and i hear him getting closer! I stay quite for the next 10 minutes and all of a sudden i hear him drumming and strutting just 10 yards to the left of me!!! I look over and he's right at the fence and when i see his beard i knew this was a bird i wanted to shoot! Being this is my first time actually having a tom coming in to me instead of a damn jake i started to getting really excited and nervous at the same time! He hangs up at on the other side of the fence for about 5 minutes that seemed more like 2 hours and then he finally comes under the fence and the rest is history!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thats awesome Zink, great video, now I can't wait to get off work and chase birds.

4. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've called evening bird in from about 150yrds away. Came down from a field 2 the crick bottom where I was set up. Hen calling & occasional gobble. Drove him nuts. He came marchin rite down.
    Congrats on the bird & great video.

5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend was a bust. I had 6 hens feed around me for about 2 hours Saturday, and listened to that dang tom gobble up at the saw mill all morning. I am going to go hunt the other property this weekend and give this bird a break for a week or so. It stormed pretty bad yesterday so I didn’t even leave the house.

-Zink, are you entering your bird or are you in a multiple bird state?

6. anthonyzink

Dislikes Received:
    well I have posted my bird to the scorecard yet since I get two birds here in KS and the contest lets you use the bigger of the two birds so I'm hoping my second bird will be bigger yet!

7. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well my first two days of hunting are over and I only have one day left to go out. Hunting was tough with 30 mph gust mixed with snow and rain, calling was useless and im not in a great area for decoy use. In the end my dad got his first bird, just a jake but he was pretty proud of it.
    10906372_10153325891058729_3847773241791117257_n.jpg

8. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    AWESOME Zink!! Great video. Way to put us on the board!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    My wife sends me a text everyday of the turkeys out in the pasture in front of the house. They are crossing btw the two blocks of timber. Our hunting time is only from 1/2 before sunrise to 1 pm so hunting after work is out for me. Hopefully it doesn't rain all weekend.

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well, after I handled all wedding anniversary activities I got out Sunday afternoon. I went to my blind to listen for a gobbler. I heard him up at the saw mill so I headed off to meet him. Climbed and busted my butt on wet step ground to stay concealed. Finally got to a spot and listened, he gobbled when a goose honked, I had walked past him. Far enough, I used the concealment to call and move like a real hen. From the sound of it, he was following me, I found a good spot and waited. One more gobble and he was confirmed to be coming my way.

I saw a small cow coming through the woods, nope…it’s a gobbler, he was coming to me, puffed up, head went from a blue/gray to dark red, and he strutted, spitted, and did his dance. He walked towards a big tree, perfect for me to draw without getting busted. It’s about time to take the shot…. I see a hen, tom stops he route, turns around and follows her. They leave, I’m pretty upset. Oh well…there’s always tomorrow.

This is where I get really pissed. I head back to where my blind is to gather up my other gear, I see fresh tire tracks in the grass, maybe I missed those earlier. I open my blind to find a beer sitting in it. Now I’m pretty upset, why come to blind when I hunting. I take beer, walk back to truck. My friend for tells me he sent his son and friend out with the beer because he thought I was sleeping…..why not freaking text me…..I’m a grown man, don’t need a sitter. So I tell the story of a hen…… “Oh Dylan said they saw hen in the field when they drove out there, said it went that way”……..are you freaking kidding me……you scared that hen to me, and took my tom away.

So, how pissed should I really be? Do you think it is coincidence or absolute reason my hunt was ruined? I’m pretty hot right now. No animal is worth hurting a friendship over, but I’m pretty upset right now. Maybe I just needed somewhere to vent. I swear it is the biggest tom I've seen out there, sucker is huge.

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My first morning out I had a gobbler on the line and it was either chased off or grabbed by a coyote. I didn't see it happen but I heard the commotion.

My point is that whether it's another predator in the woods or well meaning but unhelpful friends, getting your prey snatched out from under you is all part of the game we play.

Look at the bright side, at least you can be reasonably sure that your bird is still out there and that he will fall for your calls again. As far as he knows, he found the hen that he was after.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

12. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well team tomorrorvis my 1st day of my 5 day season. Haven't scouted but did hear gobbling last week. Shot 1st tym 22day. Dead on @ 20 yards. Will let u know what happens. Bummer is I can only hunt till noon.

13. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man that really sucks. Does your buddy hunt?

I would be pretty upset towards him. I'm all about having fun and playing jokes on people but don't mess up my time in the woods. Its hard enough to get it done without additional pressure or disturbances.

Good luck getting on him again. Hopefully you'll be able to get back on him in a few days!

14. I8myTarget

I8myTarget Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So said friend sends beer to a hunting blind for you and your mad??? am I missing something besides this guys name and if he wants a new friend. lol.
    Your right, no turkey is worth loosing a friend over. Look at it like this, he was sending you beer to your blind because he is your friend.
    In all seriousness though, sending a text would have been a good idea.

15. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just do it to him next time he's out hunting. Show up making a lot of noise and say "Oh, I thought that's what friends did for each other?" At least that's how I would want to get revenge haha

16. anthonyzink

Dislikes Received:
    Back in the blind again this morning trying to tag a second bird!!! Got them fired up already let's hope the come in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hadn't really had a chance to post on here, but had a great hunt on Sunday.

Me and Nco22 where hunting on his dads farm in kentucky. The deal was, he was behind the camera and I was the shooter. If I missed he had his shotgun since we need footage for the show. Well, we couldn't get anything going in the morning due to it being overcast and none of the birds where really talking. We were just about to call it quits but figured we would try one more spot. We drove the truck there and made a few calls. Wouldn't you know it, one gobbled. We got everything out of the truck and set up about 20 yds from the truck. Lol We were calling for about 20 minutes and ended up having 3 gobblers answer us from 3 different directions. Finally had one of them come in but he didn't see our decoys when he first came in. He ended up coming in behind us at about 5 yds! He was gobbling his head off but there was no way for us to get turned around. He finally saw the decoys and headed right for the jake. After he flogged the Jake, I had him at 20yds and blew it. I shot through the feathers on his back and hit his opposite wing. Nco22 dusted him with his 12 gauge. It was an awesome hunt and we got some great footage. We are hitting it again in the morning and I'm feeling pretty good about putting one down.

I would love to post the footage of the hunt but you will have to wait to see it in July on the hunt channel.

18. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Waiting out the rain in the blind..........

19. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Now just waiting on an answer to my call...........

20. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it this morning.
    No rain. They hit the ground early.
    Hens are answering me. Hopefully they will bring a Tom with them. . . . . . . .