Other interests..

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Bowhunter0132, Apr 20, 2015.

1. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm sadly I really don't have many other interests. I roll from hunting to preparing for the next season. Putting in food plots, moving cameras around, setting up and moving stand sites. Of course that also includes flinging some arrows down range and playing around with some new equipment to see what I like and don't like. Everyone and a while I will sling some arrow at ground hogs if I really get bored. Like they say season never ends.

2. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like shooting black guns. So I guess as long as I can shoot stuff I'm happy.
    However I don't hunt with a gun but maybe once every 2 or 3 years.

3. Beagle001

Beagle001 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Besides hunting, and all the things that go into it, there are a few other things I'm passionate about.

I am a bit of a music snob, though I don't play any instruments. I love smaller unknown indie/alternative country bands. Used to travel a bit to see them in other states, but scheduling doesn't allow me to do that as much anymore.

To say I am a fantasy baseball nut is probably an understatement. I follow the sport throughout the entire year and listen to podcasts nearly every day.

4. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    other than hunting/shooting related, i have ZERO other hobbies.
    occasionally i'll go fishing but as time goes on, it really does'nt mean much.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I coach, football and Baseball

Also farm, love doing a garden and all farm related chores.

6. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love to camp, fish, and garden. I camp on my hunting property and bass fish on a small public lake. I wish I had a boat or my own pond to fish but I get by. On the gardening, I don't grow a big garden but I grow a darn good one if I might say. I grow tomatoes (tom and cherry), jalapenos, bells, lettuce, carrots, garlic, onions, and snap peas.

7. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    our church monthly 3D shoots, bass fishing, riding our horses on our lease, and try to go to branson or the mountains each year. We love our horses so that usely takes up my time. Use to be big into bass fishing but that kind of faded when the kids starting coming, sure i'll get back into it more as they get older.

8. Chris1982

Chris1982 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I fish during non- hunting seasons, usually for white perch(crappie) and bass but putting in some effort for catfish this year as well. I might take up coyote hunting soon because their population seems to have grown a lot on our land these last two years.

9. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm ate up with whitetail deer 365 days a year between timber management, food plots, minerals, trail cameras, hanging stands...etc. My wife says I take better care of my food plots than the yard...(guilty). But when I'm not doing something deer related...I'm very active in ministry work, crappie, bass, & trout fishing, ice fishing, Turkey hunting, planning out of state hunts, mushroom hunting, gardening, and raising rare breed chickens.

10. Bowhunter0132

Bowhunter0132 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice! I can't do the Iron Butt rides.. that is just too long for me. I prefer the group rides with my club or a few good friends to go out with no set route and just cruise to a place for food and a beer or two.. preferably sitting on or close to the bay.

For those that don't know.. Iron Butt is (correct me if I am wrong on this.. ) 3 patches you can earn. Iron Butt is 1K miles in 24 hours or less, Saddle Sore is 1.5K miles in 36 hours or less and Butt Burner is 2K miles in 48 hours or less.. on a motorcycle. You have to stop XX #'s of times and purchase gas or something with date/time/location on the receipt to prove you completed the challenge. I don't want to drive anywhere for 1K miles straight.. can't imagine doing it on a motorcycle.

11. Bowhunter0132

Dislikes Received:
    Good stuff all! Besides riding, I try and catch some local rugby matches when able, go camping with family/friends 1-2 times in the summer (Gettysburg bike week this year!), 3-D shoots and when my buddy is able, go bay fishing for Rock (stripped bass).

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Home remodeling and renovation projects have been a big part of my spare time since buying our home 6 years ago. Just finishing up the hemlock siding on the interior of our barn and will finish running all of the conduit and lighting for the last side that hasn't been finished. After that, it will be time to sell in a few years and turn a big profit (that's the plan, anyways :D).

I fly fish some, golf very much recreational (only get out 2-4 times a year). I love hiking, camping, and kayaking, and my wife enjoys all three so we do that a lot (I'm off all summer).

We garden (have a 14'x28' little plot). Peppers (mostly banana with some bells thrown in), lettuce, tomatoes (Big Boy and Roma), strawberries, cucumbers and zucchini.

We also travel somewhere warm every year at least once (this year it's a few islands in the southern Caribbean).

13. BigDaddy

BigDaddy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Actually there are many Iron Butt Rides. You have to start out with a Saddle Sore ride. They have the SS1000, which is 1000 miles in less then 24 hours. SS2000, which is 2000 miles in under 48 hours. A Bun Burner 1500 (BB1500) is 1500 miles in less then 36 hours, and a Bun Burner Gold 1500 (BBG1500) which is 1500 miles in less then 24 hours. You have to stop at least every 350 miles for gas, and get a receipt. And you have to have a Starting and an end witness to verify your odometer. This will be my 3rd year doing them. I have 2 BBG1500's, 1 BB1500, and I think 5 or 6 SS1000's. There are more rides then this, but these are the main ones. Not for everyone, but they can be very addicting! You can do them whenever you want, and you can make your own route. You get a nice certificate, a patch, some stickers, and a license plate backer for your bike when your ride is verified.

14. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
  15. BigDaddy

Dislikes Received:
    Here is my Mile Eater Silver Award I earned last year..[​IMG]

16. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always enjoy learning about others!

As for myself, I ride and show horses throughout the summer. Also, have a pulling tractor that I hope to get out to more than just the fairs and we have a dirt track car that my husband races (first race this weekend).

Add in my volunteering; I am a volunteer firefighter and a council member. So have weekly things for each of those.

17. Bowhunter0132

Dislikes Received:
    All I can say is wow! Haha. I don't know that I could sit in a car for 24 hours, let alone on a bike. That is just amazing that you did all those and so close to each other! I have had a club brother and a club sister that both did their own cross country and back rides for charity, but both of them were on a semi strick schedule and route. Both said they would do it again, but on a more of no plan, just ride type of thing.

Another club brother did almost a 4 corners. He went to NY, over to Washington St, down to California, over to Florida and back to MD. I believe he took a month of vacation and just took his time zig zagging all over to see the things he wanted to see. That is something I would love to do some day.. especially on 2 wheels.

18. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I coach my kid's T-ball team, we're very involved in our church and the Awana ministry of a friend's church, and random stuff around the house. I also volunteer with the Watch DOGS program at my son's school, attempting to go once a month.