Thread: ****Official Team 3 Turkey Contest Thread****

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by MistaWondaBread, Mar 15, 2015.

1. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Timmy. I just sold my Creed XS so i'm out of a bow until I get to pick up the new bow. Hoping to pick up the No Cam this weekend

2. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, sorry to do this but I'm going to have to back out. Plans have changed a little and I won't be able to make it up to hunt this spring. It sucks l, I was really looking forward to it. Again sorry for the late notice. Hope you guys do well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    No problem Oly, it's a bummer you wont be able to turkey hunt this year.

Season will officially be on for me after tomorrow. I am picking up the No Cam HTR tomorrow at my local shop. I'll set it up to 20 yards there before I leave and maybe get 30 and 40 before this weekend is over. Good luck to all that's been hunting

4. Webtron

Webtron Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No luck so far here in wi. Tons of birds but no shot opportunities. Keeping after em!

5. stillmanchad

stillmanchad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scored on a nice SE Wisconsin Tom this morning. He came right in off the roost. We called back and forth for about 20min and he came in hot at my Jake decoy. I made a 15 yard shot and the rest is history. Look for the whole hunt on an upcoming episode of BHOD.

9.5in beard
    1in spurs
    25lbs

20150418_064447.jpg

6. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go! Beautiful bird!

7. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Just picked up the no cam. Got her sighted in at 20 already...this bow is awesome.

8. stillmanchad

Dislikes Received:
    Nice looking rig!

9. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice job Hold. Way to get us started and on the board. Went out today for our youth season and ended a 3 year spell by getting my cousin his first bird. I dunno who was more excited me or him. Lol. Our season opens up Wednesday but I prob won't get out til Thursday since I work off Wednesday morning.

10. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Well gents, I can tell you i'm excited. Not only did I finally get the new hunting rig, but I got a call last night from my dad and he said he saw the first Tom's strutting in our fields and gobbling. IT'S TIME! For whatever reason, the birds don't really start strutting hard until 3 weeks+ after season opener...so I wait for everyone to run the birds off their property the first 3 weeks and let them take over ours ;)

This Saturday will be my first hunt for this year. Plant to hunt the morning in a spot that I saw turkeys a lot during the fall. Do turkeys tend to roost the same places throughout the year? Or do they change according to the seasons?

This will be my first year really turkey hunting, last year I did spot and stalks (it ended up working, took my first turkey ever last year). I'm not sure what to expect, since i'll be sitting with 2 decoys in front of me this year, still trying to master my diaphragm call.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. stillmanchad

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Cowboy Chris! Here is my hero shot from Saturday's gobbler. I still have two more seasons periods to hunt in the next 3 weeks. Lord willing i can put another one down. Good luck guys! uploadfromtaptalk1429584511188.jpg

12. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys, first day out turkey hunting. I was getting set up in my blind when I realized, crap...forgot my chair... But that wasn't going to get me down, i could just sit on the ground and get on my knees when I needed to. I then heard my first gobble of the morning. Whoop I was excited! Only thing was, he was on the slam opposite side of the farm. So I made a bold move and headed towards him. Now I was set up half way between him and where I previously was. I was walking to my place to sit, I notice, holy smokes..I forgot my broadheads..only field tips. This morning isn't starting off so hot! At least I have my shotgun as a backup... So here I am waiting on Mr Tom to turn things around!

Good luck to everyone who's out.

13. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    My view

[​IMG]

14. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well our season here in Indiana opened up this week on Wed. I set up where my cousin killed during youth season. About 10 min after daylight I had 2 gobblin there heads off but weren't really near me. About 5 min later one flew out of the roost right in my lap. I wasn't really prepared for him to pitch down that early or that close. Since we are trying to film this year I had to get camera adjusted and get my bow with that camera turned on. He strutted around like he was interested at first but then slowly started to walk away strutting. I got camera adjusted and got on him but then noticed that a hen was feeding across the field and that was where he was working towards. I opted to put my bow up and grab the boom stick. He was 48 yards when I let it rip. I got it all and film and put him down. He didn't flap a wing a bit. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

15. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Well done Timmy. What was his scores?

16. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well now that's done and said. The past 2 mornings I've been chasing them in KY. I've got family that owns about 215 acres only an 1 1/2 from my driveway. I didn't get a chance to connect yesterday. Well today started out slow I'm guessing due to rain. I spend the first 2 hours in my blind with cameras and such. Only seeing 2 hens and not hearing the first gobble, I decided to hit the fields. I figured they would be there due to all the rain. I guessed right. I had a tom strutting on a field edge that I could slip up on through a ditch. I got down in ditch and took about 2 steps when, whoop it went from ankle high to waist high. I get out of ditch thinkin this better work since I'm soaked now. I get to the tree line and look. He's still there. So I wait til he turns away strutting and throw out a hen deke. Do a lil calling and nothin. Time to make a stalk. I image.jpg used the tree line and rain to my advantage. I get to 55 yards and there is a small berm inbetween us. I crawl up to it, peak to make sure he still there and he is. Draw back stand up and snake him at 35 yards. Hit him high but doesn't go anywhere. Broke my arrow of in his wing.
    image.jpg
    I'll get it posted in score card when I get measurements and scored.

17. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! Done in Indiana now ?

18. timmy_ar

timmy_ar Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haven't measured either one yet. We are only allowed 1 bird in Indiana so I was done here Wed with a shotgun. I get 2 birds in KY though. I killed this morning in KY with a bow, so I've got one tag left.

19. REALTREE24

REALTREE24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Almost got it done Saturday me and my cousin went out and in the first hour had one come in at 15 yards and I hit the bottom of window opening on the blind with a bullhead and missed the bird but my cousin ended up shooting it with his shotgun one checking the out after he was down I had hit him low and cut him open but it wasn't a fatal hit. It was still good to see my cousin get his first bird ever. This is the first year he has turkey hunted and wanting to come along with me to learn.

20. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice realtree. Congrats to your cousin! You'll get that Tom next time with the bow.

I'm looking for an early afternoon thunderstorm sometime this week to head to the farm after. The Tom's seem to like to strut in our fields after a good rain