Team 4 Turkey contest

Discussion in '2015 Turkey Contest' started by anthonyzink, Mar 16, 2015.

1. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I find a field where they can come out to find some sunlight to warm up when its cold like that. I am no expert though, just some advice that has been passed to me from some good turkey hunters. I am getting rain the next two days but will be sunny on opening day.
    I was trying to write my school paper on my back deck yesterday evening and I heard what I think was 3 gobblers going nuts for about 3 hours. Makes focusing on my school work really hard.

As far as times, I have been told early season listen for the hen and mimic here to a T. If she calls 7 times you do the same 7 times. I was told not to try and call in the gobbler, but to piss off the boss hen and she will bring the Toms to you. I usually have good luck calling Toms after 9:30/10-noon. I killed my bird at 10am last year. I hope to put bird up this weekend.

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My wife called me at work today to let me know she could hear a couple of Tom's goggling down the the bottom. Good times!!!!

3. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    From what ive found each tom likes different calls. Tonight I was just messing around and had a long beard come in but he liked the yelps and the purs but would shutup when I started cutting. Sometimes cutting will get them really fired up. Not this guy. Season doesn't start til april 20 for me but I was just playing. I could've killed this one.

Im so pumped about getting out there.

4. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I know a lot of you guys deer hunt and my company is selling minerals called apple smack. It has a really strong smell to draw them in and they seem to like it really well. They don't hit it as hard as they do corn because they just need a little minerals as opposed to food but it does a pretty good job. I have been getting mostly bucks hitting it.

If any of you would want to, PM me your address and ill send ya a bag for free

5. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Last year I was using a diaphragm call I thought was the best one, I also had one I thought was complete crap. I ended up calling in a tom with the “crap” call that day. They are picky birds.
    I also had some trouble getting one to come to me until I started to use an excited yelp, he never came all the way to me, but he did start coming back to me.

6. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Well I had one come in, 50 yards behind me and hung up. Lost interest and back into woods. I pooped then hit the gobble call and tom and hen coming running back. Still hung up at 50. Went back into woods. Not a bad way to start the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Funny I was just reading an article in the ntf magazine about late morning turkey hunting and that the author has had great success with birds after 10am. Lonely toms lookin for loving.

My season is apr 29-May 5th. Trying to arrange getting off for work on 2 of the days. I bring my bow and my shotgun with. If a bow shot is presented I'll take a tom with that but if not, the 12ga goes to work.

8. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think I read that same article. The hard part I think is to be where they are when the hens pair off with toms and someone gets left out.

For me and the flock I've been working, they come off roost at first light, hang around for a while and head west to parts unknown. They are long off the ground I can hunt by mid morning.

9. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I actually shot my first tom (26#; 10 3/4" beard) just before dusk. He came in from about 150 yds.
    Last year i shot mine at 9:30 in the morning. I called him from a nearby property. There were 5 toms gobbling from 1st light and kept answering my calling till that boy came in.

10. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    This bird is killing me. He crossed 80 yards and paid no attention to my decoys. Hour later he crosses back, same thing. Now he's on another property taunting me. It's personal now.

11. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like my luck. I can get them to gobble back at me before they come off roost but once they have feet on the ground, they head off in the opposite direction. I haven't been able to call one in since last Sunday.

12. anthonyzink

anthonyzink Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well first day of bow season and its a hot windy sob! But that's not going to keep me from chasing some birds![​IMG]

13. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the last week the turkeys have really started showing themselves. They are starting to feel comfortable, hopefully that will lead to an encounter once the season opens. We'll see what happens. A lot can change in 2 weeks.........................

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    13 Days before I hit the woods for a bird. I plan on taking a week day trip to the property to prepare for a ground blind and do some more scouting. I've had hens hitting a feeder every day for the last 3 weeks! Hopefully the toms check out the local diner on the 20th.

15. bry2211

bry2211 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my boy struck out this past weekend in ky. Had some gobbling Saturday morning but the started out around 34 deg and about a 20 mph wind. He got cold so we packed it up. Still nice to be out there. Cant wait for ohios youth season to come in. Im ready to get some birds down!

16. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Got out this evening, saw my Tom, hung up again. Then got the video.https://vimeo.com/124676115

17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going out tomorrow morning again. Going to try a different spot. The first flock that I was working is wise to me I think.

18. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I quit. This tom is just messing with me. He comes close, but stays out of range. [​IMG]

19. I8myTarget

I8myTarget Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you asking why people are having different length arrows for turkey then the reason is riser clearance. The Tom bomb is bigger and heavier so some have to get longer shafts to bring out the blades away from the bow. I will be using rage hypodermics. I love those broadheads.

20. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received: