Phil Robertson

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MnHunterr, Mar 26, 2015.

1. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So is he saying non-believers WON'T meet a terrbile end during Judgement Day? So his beliefs contradict his beliefs...?

OK back to the sodomy! :nana:

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let me preface this by saying I'm not religious at all. With that said, where do the morals come from for athiests? How does one establish a base for right of wrong, good or evil if there's no baseline to work from?

3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm guessing they establish right from wrong just like any other human on this planet. I'm not atheist, but would assume that someone who is has learned right from wrong throughout their life pretty much the same as I have.

4. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its funny how the media and people in the world are alway quick to go after people that share there beliefs when it comes to God. They say oh you judging me, when we quote scripture from the bible but in the same breath condemn and judge us for believeing. I love my fellow louisiana duck boy and there faith. i'll admit that phil might have not used the best example. I typically used scripture when speaking about my beliefs. But what i'm getting at is simply we are not put on earth to judge God says he is the judge and if we are judging other its wrong and we will be held accountable for it. God always to speak the truth to the lost and stand up for the word of God in love. Meaning speak what you believe but do it in love not in judgement. This world has got a bad taste in there mouth from people misreping God and acting on there what they think not what they believe. If it isnt writen in the bible i have no room to say different unless God tell me different. We all have the right to believe what we want but we also have the right to say what we believe. Those who choose to do this in a respectful manner normally make the most sense. Jesus walked this earth teaching without condemning people, changed and saved many lives and was killed by regious leaders because he stood for God and his beliefs. All i can say is this i will not stop preaching and teaching on what i believe if you choose not to listen thats your choice and i'm not going to judge but dont judge me standing up for what i believe.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    societal standards of morality

you can see the different standards of morality throughout different cultures and even how our own definitions have evolved throughout the years

we, as a society, create standards of morality to progress the species

plenty of things that were once considered justified or standard are now considered immoral and this is just looking back 100 years or so

6. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So the definition of right and wrong (good and bad) are subject to change based on a society?

7. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Soooo, how does society set the morals? Looking at pretty much every single culture out there, those standards are set by religious beliefs in one way or another. So if that's the case, Athiests are still basing their morality on religious ideals.

8. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly.

9. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't have a problem with atheists (although I firmly believe in a God myself) what I do have a problem with is ppl saying there is no right and wrong and I believe that was Phil's point is showing where that type of a belief system leads you

Well said ChurchArcher
    Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can't sit here and tell me that because an atheist doesn't have a religious affiliation/belief that they do not have morals or know right from wrong...

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Banana Jim IS an ahole, period. That is his whole thing on here.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I think the point is that morals are based off the norms of society and every single society that I can think of base those norms off of religious beliefs and teachings.

13. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    huh..?

14. josephmrtn

josephmrtn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sky i don't think that was his point, his point was everyone's moral standards are set by something, and each cultures standards are set by some form of religious belief for the most part, and that includes the culture of the United States...

As many of you are aware I'm sure, the ten commandments were involved with making the laws for our new country back there in 1775-1778 in the years when things came together and honestly I think its a real shame that they aren't used in our lawmaking and courts of law anymore!!!
    IMO most times ppl become uncomfortable with the idea of using the ten commandments as a guideline for right and wrong only because they know they have broken them

Annnd now I'm gonna shut up and let the older guys talk

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree to an extent. Hard to find any established culture that does not have some type of religion. Now the question is more of a chicken or egg argument.

Did the religion based their morality off societal standards? Or did the society base their morality off the religion?

16. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    So they are either based off of some divine intervention leading us down the path of good by providing a set of laws to live by, or if society set the norms, then they were just arbitrary rules set by those in power at the time. If that's the case, then how do we really know that what we consider right is actually right?

17. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Right and wrong for me is based on the rules and traditions handed down from my ancestors. My religion recognizes the existence of right and wrong and there are cleansing rituals for purification. But there is no list of commandments like the 613 commandments you find in the Bible.

How you fare in the afterlife depends on how have made use of the life that you received here in the physical world. You can continue to improve, even in the afterlife. You can even be reborn into this physical world although not in the same body. There is no eternal punishment and it doesn't matter what you believe. Christians and atheists will experience the afterlife the same.

18. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Whether or not the society prospered or failed?

19. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's not a very enlightening gauge...they have all prospered and failed alike except the ones that are currently ongoing which are mostly young from a historic perspective.

Right and wrong are as subjective to POV as light and dark in the natural world, one can't exist without the other to act as a point of reference. Religion is the baseline and the mean, it could be argued that societal acceptance of right and wrong has become it's own de facto religion. Look to Mesoamerican civilizations and their acceptance of human sacrifice as an example. What seems so wrong to us, religiously and culturally, was considered good and holy and in some cases an honor to them. Humanity is not basically good, basically good is not a birthright, it's a learned behavior...this is the fundamental difference in belief systems between Christians and Aethists, between liberals and conservatives, etc....etc....

I feel this is what Phil Robertson was trying to convey but ended up just sounding like a bit of a vile maniac to those that don't understand the intended point.

20. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps, but I think we all know that doing right doesn't always equal success and achievement in this world. I think the problem with the idea that man set our our rules to live by is the fact that inherently people of power are corrupt and generally don't live by the same set of standards that they expect their subjects to follow. If people believe those rules were provided by a divine source and that there were far reaching consequences to their actions then they would be compelled to follow.