Homemade 3D bow target idea, could use opinions.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Seth Hagood, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Seth Hagood

Seth Hagood Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I recently had the idea to build a homemade bow target and thought it would be pretty cool to make a 3D deer one or even start small buy making a turkey one. So my idea is to use some spray foam insulation... you know the stuff that comes in a can and is real cheap. So I already know that this stuff (after it hardens) can stop an arrow. Well you might be wondering how and the hell I am planning to do this, well I think that if I spray some into a big box wait for it to harden then remove the box then i can cut the insulation and carve it into the shape that I want. Mess ups should also be easy to correct, because i can just spray more on and wait for it to harden. NOW WAIT, before you say that it sounds like it couldn't work. I encourage you to look up on the internet some creations that people have made with this stuff. I could just a few opinions and ideas for this thing.... Thanks.

2. johnwb82

johnwb82 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The stuff is amazing at what it can be used for I think it would work but would take a lot of time

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'll just buy one. Thanks.

4. jarodkallal

jarodkallal Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have never tried it or seen it done but what about a cheap turkey decoy or inflatable deer decoy? just poke some holes in it and spray in it until its full. just a thought. goodluck.

5. Seth Hagood

Seth Hagood Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input, it may be worth a try. My dad had a turkey decoy he wanted to throw out, I asked him if he got rid of it yet. He threw it away yesterday when cleaning the shed. I might see if walmart has any cheap inflatable deer and try it out.

6. Seth Hagood

Seth Hagood Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely would take up some time. It may be a project to do with my my brother. He is pretty artistic, I think it would be cool to see done as I have never seen a homemade 3d target.

7. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with Brad... but during the process - post some photos of your project.

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't sound like something I would ever want to undertake but am very interested to see how it turns out for you. Please take a ton of photo's throughout the entire process and keep us posted on how it is going!

9. Seth Hagood

Seth Hagood Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am not sure when I am going to start this thing. spring break is next week so will probably start it then, I wil get pictures and post them and will probably do a youtube video shooting it, if it turns out well. Thanks for replying guys

10. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also check out Local Big Box Hardware stores in your area some have the Machines you can rent that will fill it faster than buying it by the can just a thought. Good luck look forward to seeing your progress :)

11. thirdhandman

thirdhandman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Foam insulation will not stop an arrow very well. It is way too light of density. There is a company called 3D country that makes a 2 part foam that works better than the original foam used in 3 d targets. 3-D Country.com