Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Nice Tony.

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me offer you this scenario and tell me what you would all do. This happened to me 5 years ago.

I has been hunting along a thicket with many oak trees on the outside. All morning I had bucks chasing does and responding to rattling, but all the shooters stayed out of range. Around 11 I had 2 does and a spike come trotting along. I stopped the largest doe at the far range of 7 yards while she was quartering away and I let her have it. Or so I thought.

She ran off about 70 yards and just stood there. I grabbed my binocs and saw my entry and saw blood pouring out of it. It looked PERFECT for a quartering away shot. I could not of drawn a picture better than where it was, but there she still stood for a full 20 minutes without moving. She finally bedded there and I slipped out. 6 hours later I returned and she was gone. I started tracking her and then the rain came so I went back for a coat, and still never found her.

The next morning I returned and my dad spotted a deer bedded in the bottom of a ridge. He stood on top of the ridge getting her attention as I snuck up on her. I put an arrow right through her lungs and she never moved. It was my doe under 200 yards from the stand.

To this day I still don't know what happened. The entry and exit of the first shot looked perfect. My only guess was a single lung hit. Any other insight on this?

3. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I actually had this thread from HNI from last year printed out in my pocket with me last night. I put it in there several months ago and forgot about it.

4. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    One thing we learn in whitetails, there are no absolutes. In John Jeanenneys book, Tracking Dogs for Finding Wounded Deer there is a study that was done on an island of NY I believe. They autopsy'd all doe that were taken off the island on a management hunt and was stunned to see broadhead scare tissue on lungs. The show the picture of the lung with a 3 blade scar on it. The upper lobes of the lungs carry less blood vessels than the lower front part of the lungs. After reading that book I believe you could double lung the deer and for what ever reason, not deflate them or hemorrhage them enough to kill the animal immediately. Another reason to not hurry on a trail when we don't see an animal go down.

Not sure what happened with your particular deer as I said, no absolutes but maybe you hit the nail on the head with single lung hit, or part of the hypothesis I mention above. Nice you did have closure on her. I take it you didn't do an autopsy to find out?

Vols5151 likes this.
  5. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:

Nice. :cool:

6. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    My second arrow went through both lungs, and stuck in the opposite shoulder, so while gutting I was more concerned on not getting a broadhead in my hand.

There were no guts or stomach contents like you would see with a gut shot deer while field dressing. The way she acted after the shot indicated to a gut shot deer, but with the entry/exit holes and what I found while field dressing her I can't see how I caught any part of her intestines/stomach.

7. Scott/IL

Dislikes Received:
    Also Rob, that is a very interesting study your talking about. I had read a similar article some years ago about a whitetails amazing ability to heal from wounds.

A few years ago a 12 pointer was shot on our farm during shotgun season. While butchering the deer, we found a muzzy broadhead and about 1/2" of carbon arrow stuck in the deers tenderloins. This buck had no visible side effects from this wound other than a small bald spot on his back.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Incredible..

I shot this BB in 2007:

[​IMG]

When i walked up to him i found that he had a bullet hole through his face, that had been there for at least 2-3 days. He was still alive and well..but probably couldn't eat much. I don't think he would have lived another week in the cold November snow.

He was still tough as nails to keep on trucking.

9. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Keep it coming. :cool:

10. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Always worth a review,Thanks Rob!

11. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to take away from the bowhunting mentality, but I have seen deer do crazy stuff.

Example: Buck had both front legs literally shot off at the knees with a high powered rifle and another bullet thru the neck. I watched this deer with my own eyes travel 100yds at least. Anytime I hear someone say "this or that is a fact" about a wounded deer, I just laugh.

12. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bump 4 the sticky...always helpful to newbies as well as reference for vets!

13. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks GR8, last bump. If it's not worthy of a sticky on this forum, it can slip into the internet black hole.

14. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too good to be lost forever.

BUMP!!!!!

15. geauxtigers1421

geauxtigers1421 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm just wondering... If a shot is made in the evening or just before dark and you need to wait 6 hours like mentioned, when would be the best time to get out of your stand and head back to camp for a while?

16. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just wait a while like half hour or so and go the way the deer didnt go and head back to camp.

17. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Bump, I see some necessity.

18. rockinchair

rockinchair Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just reread through this again, Rob.

Always pick up on something new, and always a good refresher. :tu:

19. Aresodin

Aresodin Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the time put into this and great article.

20. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys

JohnnyD likes this.