New hinge cut bedding area

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by kyle6464, Jan 22, 2015.

1. t8rsalad

t8rsalad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So how far up the trees are you trimming Kyle? Looks like maybe 3-4ft?

2. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am cutting about 5ft high except for the last pics of the bed. That maple was too big so I cut it off and used it as the base for my actual bed I read that they should be 4-5ft high so deer can walk around freely within the bedding/sanctuary area without having to be constantly crouched over.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  3. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This project looks like it will really pay off for you. Just stay out of there as much as possible. I don't really believe in the "buck bed" theory. There isn't really a lot of research showing that a buck will seek out a log to lay against. Cover at his back, to the downwind side is what he wants. Like a brush pile, Bush, treetop etc...it doesnt have to be a log.

4. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks I am pretty confident that it will make a big difference this season. I have done about an acre now but still have several more acres to do on this property, ideally I would like this bedding area to be about 4-5 acres in size. This bedding area is on the northern most part of my property with my destination plots being on the southern most part of the property. I also plan to add several small plots 1/8th to 1/16th of an acre between bedding and destination plots. I know the log does not matter at all when it comes to a bed like I said they were there so I threw them in. Cover and escape routes are the most important features of a bed.

5. rybec2

rybec2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet, looks good. I just did the same thing at my place in central Illinois last week.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think its pretty common knowledge that mature bucks want some type of backstop, tree, stump, brush, rock, etc to the upwind side of the bed. The problem is bucks bed to take advantage of sight, wind, thermals, and the bed has to be in the spot that gives him the advantage which we struggle to understand.