New Bow/ Rest?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by kurveball18, Jan 23, 2015.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey Guys,

I'm getting a new bow in about a month or so. Think i'm going to get the new Mathews No Cam HTR. I went and shot it a couple weeks ago along with many others and that one I seemed to like the best.

I have always shot a whisker biscuit since I have never had a problem with them other than the very small amount of noise it can make when drawing back. The guy at the archery shop said I should get the QAD HDX drop away rest. My thinking is (Knowing me) there is that rope that go's from your rest to the cable will somehow get caught on a stick or vine or whatever when walking into my deer stand. Just a lot more to go wrong. I just thought i'd share my thinking and see what everyone else thinks. I like simple with few to little amount of things that can go wrong. Should I really be looking at a drop away rest?

Thank you

2. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a QAD and have taken it out in very bushy areas and found the regular cables would catch 'stuff' before the release cord. Up north, were the chance of freezing rain/snow getting onto a whisker type biscuit is a non-starter. If that thing freezes up the hunt is over. Just my thoughts.

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am in the market for a new bow as well. After experimenting with a drop away style rest that came with my current set up I switched to a whisker biscuit and will have one on whatever I end up buying. It is simple and there are no moving parts to break. Why change what has worked for you?

4. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I'm thinking the same thing ( I think LOL ) I don't buy the excuse where people say it slows down your arrow. The biggest drop in speed I've seen is like 3-4fps which I could care less about for my hunting bow. I've hunted in some pretty nasty weather before and never had a freeze up of my biscuit either. If it gets real bad I usually just hold my hand over it. I also got this spray called Scorpion Venom for the biscuits that help quite it up.

So far i'm leaning on staying with a nice biscuit rest but I always welcome others opinions which is why I made this post.

Thank you

5. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Mathews edition QAD is a great choice. The benefit is not just speed, it's consistency. QAD's have tight tolerances, are as consistent as it gets, and are also machined aluminum instead of plastic. Think about it like this, you wouldnt buy a $1000 match grade rifle and put a $50 walmart scope on it. You get the best you can, to get the most performance out of your equipment. Thats where the QAD comes in. It's well worth it and QAD is a great company

6. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly! Kinda like spending a ton of money on a high performance race car and then putting regular street tires on it and regular gasoline in it. You just took away the high performance part of the equation

7. roadrunner

roadrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was like you, thinking the rope could catch on something or the rest could fail, so I used a biscuit for years. Then I got a new Hoyt and put a drop away on it. Got another Hoyt last year and put another drop away on it. Got another Hoyt and put a drop away on it. So, now I have three bows with drop away's on them. Thought I'd never do it. They have worked well without any failure. I too shot a No Cam this year and currently have one on order. Funny thing is, thinking about putting a biscuit on it. I may also put biscuits on my other two bows as well.

8. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:

Thanks Roadrunner. So far i'm like 75% sure i'm sticking with my biscuit. If I was a target shooter then I think id definately go with a drop away.

9. jmgoeson82

jmgoeson82 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a limb driving drop away. Like them a lot better then the ones that attach to the bus cable. Less to go wrong with the limbdriver.

10. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    QAD Ultra HDX Rest are great rests. I have a QAD Ultra HDX rest on both of my bows and I carry them through brush and vines a lot, Never had an issue with anything snagging the rope. Buy it! You will be fine.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  11. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What Sam said, I got tired of existing money and trying all kinds of rests. Finally bought an HDX and they are on all my bows.

Sent from my XT830C

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say it's more like buying a performance with an automatic rather than a stick shift. Stick shift are faster with the right driver but your never consistent. Automatics are only a fraction slower and they are consistent.

WB are all I'll ever use as well. Simple and consistent and the 2-3fps on a 300fps bow doesn't matter at all for the reliability you get. IMO

Kilboars Hunt Club

13. wi p&y

wi p&y Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its a matthews so any rest will drop in time for those speeds... jk jk. But i like the ripcord code red.

14. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at John Schaffers Opposition Lite arrow rest. Check out his YouTube videos. At first I was going to go all Cameron "Beast Mode" and use a TT SmackDown Pro. Next I gave the QAD Mathews Ultra Rest a serious look. But after having John Schaffer explain to me at his shop why his arrow rest had advantages in the field that others didn't I was quickly convinced. The guy's in Pope & Young numerous times and his experience in the field and the number of trophy's he's taken spoke volumes to me. In the end it's all personal preference though. Just make sure you have a good pro set your bow up.

15. nwmono

nwmono Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do you figure the drop away cord will hang up any more than your string & cables? Ditched the
    biscuit 7 years ago. Have had no issues with a drop away. Currently using TT Smackdown, limb driven, 3
    years & counting.

16. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Well guys. I gave in and i'm going to try the QAD HDX rest. I got my new bow paid for at the local shop here and they are in process of setting it up. Its the Mathews no cam HTR with the HDX rest and the HHA OL-5519 site. I cant wait to take her home and shoot it in my small little apartment LOL

17. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    kurveball, you've got a great bow and accessories going. You shouldn't have a problem taking down anything. Have you thought about a stabilizer?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  18. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely have. I've been doing some reading on the Pine Ridge ones. I previously had Limb saver. Just the little short one which worked fine. I'm going to wait till I shoot a few times with it at home and really get a feel for how heavy of a stabilizer I would need for hunting. I don't want something abnormally long. Something that has adjustable weight would definitely be nice so I can just add weight to it if needed. With the HTR being a bit heavier than my previous bow and a longer/less reflexed riser I did notice that it is pretty stabil in the hands already so I'll have to wait and see. Any suggestions i'm definitely open to ideas.

19. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    QAD's work great.
    If your using blazer vanes and a WB your not going to lose much speed.
    That's why blazers were made, their tougher and being shorter in length have less drag vs a 3 or 4 inch vane when used with a WB.
    If it's working for you I wouldn't change it.

20. tkarrow

tkarrow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You tried an Elite and like the Mathews better... seriously? If you did not try one, then please do before you finalize the matthews purchase... same goes for everyone for that matter.

The QAD drop away rests are outstanding. I have had several, never had a problem and I will be getting a new one for my new bow soon!

Tom