The Patriots deflating the football?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Tony, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Zedd

Zedd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Watching a bunch of millionaires play a game of football..., who cares. apparently a lot

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Evidently some of you have not spent much time in the larger cities of the east coast. Plus I get a kick out of Viking fans telling me how my team failed, sure they didn't win but when your team didn't make the play offs (again) what basis do you have for calling another team out? Typical loser mentality.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No worries Tony, I understand your name calling like calling Bill bellyfat can you see your shoes when you stand up?:lol:

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Unrelated, but have you ever posted here previously under a different username?

Just Curious.

5. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say typical loser mentality is settling or feeling good about anything other than first place. So they made the playoffs? ALMOST got to the Super Bowl? No different than not making it IMO. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. Anything short of that doesn't matter. But.... as long as it makes you feel good that they were there to choke and another team wasn't. They are both the same in the fact that neither will be champions.

Second place is first loser.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nope have always been who I am here.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    As a fan I have seen my team win the big game and lose the big game I know second place is first loser, but to not make the tournament and pop off? Sure all fans talk crap I understand and appreciate it. I know if I was a Viking fan I would hate me and the Packers too.

8. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think if they were to seize footballs from any team I'd be willing to bet the game balls are all inflated to the liking of the QB and the kicking balls are inflated to the liking of the kickers. Although this doesn't sit well with me, I don't think the Patriots are the only team to do this. This falls on the officials just as much as any team, they're supposed to check the balls.

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No issues here, pal....you, however, have shown everyone here who you are....do you like the fact that no one can stand you on the forum and that they all can't wait for your banning? :lmao:

10. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why can't you guys just ignore Sota?

Let's get back on topic.

11. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plain and simple... The NFL needs to change the rule to allow only a specific person, ref, or whatever to handle the balls. Removes the potential of cheating in my mind.

12. grizzly1530

grizzly1530 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is the wrong mentality to have though. I mean, you'd have to do that for everything. There is a potential to break a rule in every aspect of the game.

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do :) Still doesn't change the fact that he's rude and always seems to hold the odd opinion for no other reason than to be a troll.

I agree that would be ideal, but having just one person going to get a ball after every ball change would take forever, how would they properly manage the game and play clock between plays where the ball needs replaced?

14. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    That's obviously something that would come with creating the rule - Maybe not just one person, but a team of "ball people" for every game.

Well they are going to have to make a change after this ordeal... Just as refs are on the field to stop the players from breaking the rules, there will be a "ball team" to ensure each team is not breaking the rules. I agree that it is unfortunate... But in my mind it has to happen.

15. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But they have a ball crew already and the balls are supposed to be checked before the game by the head ref. I think if they want to ensure that ball inflation is within the NFL rules then teams shouldn't be able to prepare their own balls, the ref or the ball crew would have to do it and not allow anyone to touch them prior to the game once they check them.

16. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    Totally forgot about the part where they have ball crews.

You stated what I was trying to get at... Teams should not be able to handle the footballs outside of play.

17. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    People treat you the way you treat others on this forum. You really think you can act the way you do and not hear anything back?

I've been a Steeler's fan since I was a kid by the way but the fact they are a winner doesn't feed my ego or cause me to act like to D-bag to others (unless they deserve it for other reasons). They are just sports teams. They don't make YOU a winner.

18. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So.... the balls were checked 2 hours before kickoff for proper psi. Then they are handed over to the equipment manager/ ball boys. The balls were inspected and within what they were supposed to be 2 hours before kickoff. Then found to be under inflated? Hmmmmmmm. Doesn't look pretty.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to Mike and Mike who had a ref on and discussed how the whole procedure is done. Seems to me the remedy is for the NFL to provide the balls and keep an official in possession up till game time.

20. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    that would make most sense moving forward.
    i'm sure the ball tampering has been happening with most teams without it ever being an issue... new procedures should be implemented, but if the Pats indeed did this, I highly doubt they are the only ones doing it.