Neighbors baiting with corn, What do I do

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by deckhead, Dec 29, 2014.

1. DChappell

DChappell Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same issue with a neighbor putting out corn feeders. It really pulled the deer from my land. I went into the hardwoods and cleared some long strips and planted Evolve Harvest. The problem was to canopy was still too dense to allow enough sunlight in. It would come up and quickly die. I reseeded it twice. The later in the fall what did come up died out from falling leaves. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm at the point now where I'm considering feeders also.

2. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Both of my neighbors run corn feeders. I know this, and they know that I know. It's great because we are all practicing QDM. We've got access to a section of ground and they own a 160 and an 80 between the two families. It keeps young deer where I know they won't get shot, and keeps mature bucks living in and around the thick bedding I've tried to create for them. In my experience it's rare to see a mature 4.5 year old or older at a corn pile during shooting light. If anything try to look at the positives and not the negative. Approach them and see if they are into practicing QDM, get them to add some mineral to the feeders, and hunt routes between your place and theirs that gives you a good chance to see a shooter heading to the feeder at night.

3. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    gotta watch that stuff it normally has a lot of weed seed in it...

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hemp or weeds?

5. rcowan

rcowan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are!

RC

6. deckhead

deckhead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I took some advice. I put out some corn with c'mere deer mixed in on a good set of trails leading from the bedding to their feeders. Great results!!!! I had seven different bucks on camera on the first day!!!! No shooters yet but I'm quite fired up about using their feeders to my advantage. Thanks for all the help.

7. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've not used it in two years but I used to have good luck with the liquid C'meer deer on corn. Since I went to feeders I didn't want to get it wet and never tried the powder. Glad to hear it worked for ya.

8. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think I just threw up a little ... In my mouth

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should see a doctor...maybe not the medical kind.

10. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For what?

11. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you're coming down with the flu. I heard it was becoming an epidemic

12. MartinHunter

MartinHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You could also try the feed recipe i posted .. HERE IE IS AGAIN....

40 or 50 lb of Corn

1 lb Sugar

64 ozs of pancake syrup, I like to use an entire gallon if you can find it cheap enough at Sams if one is close. Maple syrup will work just as good.

5 packages of Strawberry Jello Mix, the sugar free works but I prefer the added sugar of the regular. It must be Strawberry.

One large container of regular table salt 26 to 32oz, the size you would buy to fill your own salt shakers

Optional: Small Square Bale or 50 lb bag of Compressed Cubes of Alfalfa.

Instructions: Follow these instructions as follows.

Do not use in a broadcast or gravity feeder as the sugar and jello will clog it.

It is best used in a trough style feeder, (Free Choice) or on the ground. Mix all ingredients in the feeder or on the ground with corn.

If you choose to use the Alfalfa as well, and I highly recommend you do. Then if using the Compressed Cubes mix the Cubes with the corn and other ingredients. If using a bale I generally take half the bale and chop it up with a shovel and mix it the I use the remaining bale to ground feed.

Let the baited area rest approximately 2 evenings for the first time applying for best results. Deer sometimes take up to a day or two to fully get used to something new. If they have not been exposed to Alfalfa before it can take a few days for them to be accustomed to the smell. It all depends on your location on how fast the Deer will find it and keep coming back to it. Once they find it they will continue to come back 2-3 times per day.

The Alfalfa is especially useful during the spring and summer as it is high in protein and calcium. Which is need for fawn development and antler growth.

Here is how it works.

Salt- Acts as a salt lick for the deer and soaks into the ground. This is what helps them come back even after everything else is gone.

Syrup- Adds to the aroma and sticks to their noses, causing an irresistible craving

Jello- Gives off a strong aroma of Strawberries while binding with the syrup and coating the corn with a strong strawberry smell.

Corn- Natural food source for Deer. Aroma and taste

Sugar- Sweetens the attractant beyond anything you can buy commercially. Also binds with the other ingredients to give it an extra kick.

Alfalfa- 15-30% Protein, high in calcium and other nutrients needed for optimal deer growth. Very High Quality Forage once the Deer taste it the first time they will crave it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  13. Xoutdoors

Xoutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i wouldn't compete with the neighbors with baiting. Before hunting season,that's understandable, but during hunting season you're both gonna get the Alabama game fish involved. I'd consult with the Alabama game fish before proceeding with that method. Here's the Alabama game fish regulations
    The following are prohibited methods of hunting in the State of Alabama as condensed from the laws and regulations. Consult the Alabama Game, Fish and Wildlife Law Book and the Wildlife & Freshwater Fisheries Regulation Book for the entire law or regulation.

It is ILLEGAL to:

1. Hunt any area where baiting/feeding has occurred until 10 days after all bait/feed has been removed or consumed.

For the neighbor if your'e not happy. its your choice to call the game warden if its a huge issue with your neighbor or just do nothing and deal with it.

14. deckhead

deckhead Newb

Dislikes Received:

Not sure what year you are looking at but it has been made legal for 2014. The stipulations are that it has to be in a gravity feeder or trough at least 100 yards from stand and hidden by natural terrain or vegetation. I got into a discussion about different scenarios with a game warden and basically he told me that the regs were so vague that it depends on the day he was having as to whether u got a ticket for baiting. How's that for laws and ethics!!!

15. deckhead

deckhead Newb

Dislikes Received:

Seems everyone around us is doing it. Problem for me is I'm a bowhunter so 100 yard shots are out of the question for me.

16. deckhead

deckhead Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went back and read the regs again. I see where you got confused. I used the wrong "words". The regs are about "baiting" vs "supplementing". If it is 100 yards from your stand and out of sight, it is "supplementing". If it is 20 yards from your stand and visible, it is "baiting". It's only a matter of time before the "illegal and unethical" rednecks become "law-abiding" citizens. Funny how semantics can change the very nature of a human action.

Sorry for the rant. A couple more adult beverages, and I could go on all night. For the record, I see food plots and corn piles as the same thing.