Have to vent

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wesley Lofton, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, show me where the officer told him to let the wife and kids die?

2. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ummmmm...???

3. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the point that many people are missing here is that we ALL have responsibility to do what is RIGHT! Staying at home saying "It's not my problem" is what's wrong with this country. People are not willing to stand up for what right, they don't stop and help someone stranded on the side of the road, or stop at an accident, or help an injured person that has fallen. They just look on and say "It's not my problem." Too self interested to get involved and help others when the situation calls for it. The right thing to do it to help that woman and her children. How that's done is up to the person put in that situation, who are we to question a person for trying to do what is right. The police are not always going to be there, lets be honest, usually they are only there after the fact. When it's too late! Not their fault but they are a reactionary force, by the time they can react and get there, too much can happen.

4. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to read again. I don't see a single person telling him that he should have never gone over there. Where did you get that? Several thought that showing up with a gun and sticking around was possibly not the best idea, but not one post that I saw made any mention of not going over there.

Waiting around with a gun only complicates the situation for the police. They have a tough enough job to deal with without having to sort through why a guy came out from behind a tree and laid a gun on the ground. His intentions were great, but the result could have been tragic.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently some people have never been in a heads up live or die or protecting someone else's life scenario. There is no manual for situations like this. There is no time to look it up in the "guide to life book" and have time to think of what action to take. The entire point is to be quick, concise, and deliberate to help fellow man. It's what any good citizen would do and I would hope that if my family were in harms way that someone would do everything possible to make sure they're alive. If no one gets hurt, the right action was taken - period.

6. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If he did not show up people could have died. The idiot in the house could have saw him and then let her out of the house. As for making a cops job easy or hard; a good one would not care, they understand they are there to serve the public, not to have an easy day on the job.

7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lezzly your my hero!!!!

You are sooo dreamy.....

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It isn't obvious that if you have a gun in your hand going to a conflict and you don't have a round chambered that you have no business going? Do you think that a wife beating crack head is going to take 1 look at the gun and think I might want to rethink my actions?

9. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im glad some of you arent my neighbors if my wife and child ever needed assistance from you. Sheesh. :sad:

Wesley, good on you! Monday morning quarterbacking is easy, but I think we can all learn from situations like this and thank you for sharing. Two things I would have done differently:

1. Went back to my house once the wife was clear and out of harms way.

2. Had a freaking round chambered. Ive never understood the point of carrying an unloaded weapon.

All in all, I still say you did a fantastic job!

10. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to add,

Please keep close watch on yourself and your family. You never know what a dirtbag like that my try since you got involved.

11. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a littler worried about this, but don't really know if he saw me, or even know who I was. No one paid much attention to me after cops arrived.

To the people saying because I didn't have a round chambered that I had no point in being there, all it takes is a quick rack and its ready, had I had to go into that house it would have been done or had he come out....

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You don't get it.

13. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WES--- First I would like to commend you on doing what you thought was right. No matter how you did it..

YOU did it..

That is a situation that most people can't even imagine unless they been there done that..

We all have fears--- but being strong enough to put your life in danger for your fellow man is commendable and is the attitude that made this country great...

Just a suggestion--- If you ever upholster your gun again and it’s unloaded --- remember that it is useless to you if the other guy’s gun is loaded. Nothing quite like the deafening roar of the firing pin falling on an empty chamber!

As far as the police officers reaction--- they are only worried about identifying the bad guy. Anyone with a gun is perceived to be a bad guy…

Think back to how hyped up you were at the moment you stepped behind the tree , then step back and think about feeling that way every time your phone rings…. That is how it is for our police officer’s every day!!!

Not an excuse for the reaction you got, but something to think about.

14. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I completely understand the initial reaction. But just some of the things that were said and actually being threatened to be arrested just blew my mind...

15. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First of all it's great that you helped out your neighbors. The only part I don't understand is why hang out in front of the guy's house after the woman and baby were out safe? At that point what exactly were you planning to do if he had come out?

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If the same thing happened to me and a kid ran up and said the same thing..I'd done the same thing you did. I damn sure wouldn't have went without a gun.

17. Mo Bow Hunter

Mo Bow Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everything you did including staying at the house until cops got there. Last thing you want is the guy coming
    to your house looking for his wife. I would want to be in a position to contain him in his house until cops arrived. Or at least get between him and your house before he could even gets close. Nice job! As many have said you can be my neighbor.

18. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My only question is how do you not have a round in the chamber?

19. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bravo! Seriously.

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I applaud you for having the guts to get involved and try to help. Lots of people will go about their business and not get involved. My only 2 cents on the matter since you did take a gun with you is once the woman got out of the house, take her to yours and remove yourself from the situation. I know you weren't sure if he was the only one left in the house but if he is, you do no good being outside. Cops have a very small amount of information going to that call and if you are the first thing they see, you become part of what they have to deal with distracting them from the initial call.

Again kudos for getting involved.