Team 1 - Death from Above

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by Beehunter, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Beehunter

Beehunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations on a nice, mature buck. Good luck in late season as well.

I'm off work from December 17th thru January 5th, so I'll be bundled up and in the stand too, trying to fill a tag late season.

2. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Northeast Mississippi/West Central Illinois
    Nice buck for sure! I didn't really have hero shots taken with my buck but here is a hero shot from my solo flight this morning. Thanks for paying your taxes so I can have fun! :rolleyes: [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in! I haven't hunted since last Sunday... :( Rifle season started here on the 3rd. Been taking a breather. Getting all the holiday duties out of the way so I can focus on hunting when it is go time.

4. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    We just finished up the last 4 days of shotgun season on Sunday. I too am gearing back up for the late season push. With one in the freezer, I am being very selective. The Illinois deer population needs some help, so I'm doing my part to not just shoot anything that comes along.

Good luck to everyone still striving to put some points on the board. I'm proud of this team.....we're winners any way you slice it!

5. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I'm going to try and get out some this week, still want to get a buck down with my bow this year. Good luck everybody

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot or pass? Score??? - New guy is showing up regularly during shooting hours. Earlist I have seen him in there is 4:20 PM. I have stand in the timber, in the tree in the top right corner. Platform is hidden behind the cedars.Just waiting on the right wind to see if I can eyeball him. Need a wind with a westerly direction. North or south will do! North preferred...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Absolutely a shooter in my book! I think he has an awesome looking rack!

8. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh, Pretty wicked looking. He won't net well but bone is bone....

9. ILHunter

ILHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The webbing on his right side is what makes him really cool to me. I'd love to shoot a webbed deer.

10. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man Heckler, he is GNARLY! What a good looking buck. High net or not, you GOTTA get on that dude! :jaw:

Good luck getting after him. I'm looking forward to seeing him down very soon! ;)

11. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! Shooter for sure! :)

12. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nice looking buck well guys I tried but no deer this year I sat in stand 34 times saw one deer it was just to far for a shot this has been the worst year for hunting that I can remember and the weather we been having is not helping good luck to all that still have time I will trapping the rest of the winter to keep me busy

13. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry about your luck nhbowhunt. Seems like a lot of people are struggling this year including myself.

I am going to try my best to harvest the new buck as I cant certainly seem to get on any of the others. The consensus is he is a really old deer. He looks beat up... He will be lucky to see next season with or without the help of humans. Well past his prime. Probably a giant a couple years ago. :(

Here is the view from the stand. It sets back in the timber quite always and is very well hidden. In fact, you cant see the stand unless you are directly under it. Only about half my body is visible in a standing position. Would be a pretty good poke at the feeder. I have 3 other lanes to shoot in the timber.

Oh and go figure. Wind has a easterly direction just about every day in the next 10 days. Since when is that a predominate wind??? Ggggggrrrrrrrrr.... :(

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  14. TacticalDestroyer340

TacticalDestroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome Buck Heckler.. Hope you get him!

I have been still hunting hard... My local hunting area was hit pretty hard during rifle season.. two of my hit list bucks where taken early on our boarding properties and the deer are pretty rattled with the high pressure rifle season brings. On a positive note I did get a second doe down with the bow 2 weeks ago! I still have an area that is bowhunting only that I will be hunting late season into January... and we have seen a handful of mature bucks moving in the area during daylight. Hope to have some good news in the next couple weeks!

15. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    This has been a strange year for a lot of us, and it doesn't seem to matter what part of the country. We have plenty of deer on our property, and we were seeing several every time out. Since about the second week of November, that has changed. For whatever reason, they aren't moving much. I think maybe the bumper acorn crop is the cause. They are everywhere, and we have a lot of Oaks, so the deer don't have to move to find food. That, and the weather has been up and down.

I don't even want to talk about the wind. Our prevailing wind is southwesterly, but not this year. We have had the craziest wind directions to deal with, which has kept me from hunting several stands that I know produce good deer sightings.

I did manage to put down a nice deer in early November, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Hopefully, late December will be more productive for everyone. Time will tell I guess. Good luck everyone..........keep after 'em, and let's make good things happen!

16. okcaveman

okcaveman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely a shooter! I'm in the tree as we speak, but like NH, most of my free time will be spent trapping. Picked up the first coyote of the year yesterday, hoping for many more.
    Good luck out there y'all

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sheesh, He was 10 minutes late tonight. Give me a friggin break already!

18. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So everyone has give up, seasons over, or tagged out? Sheesh... No pressure guys! :p

19. Beehunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, not here. I ain't got an ounce of quit in me! (Some may confuse that for a lack of good sense, but we can debate that 'till the cows come home!)

Tomorrow is my last day of work until January 5th, and come hell or highwater, I'm bow hunting! I have until the middle of January to put another one on the ground. Granted, I'm being extremely selective on what I will put an arrow thru, but given the opportunity, I'll get some more points for the team.

Heckler, I just have a good feeling your gonna get it done on the bruiser you are chasing. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way. Late season hunting can be challenging, but it can also be the most rewarding time to be in the woods. Go get 'em boys........let's finish this rodeo in style! :)

20. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a red arrow. Doe. Lots a blood but not the best shot. Going to eat a little dinner and then I'll come back out and look for.