What I don't like about our new hunting culture

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by dhd, Dec 8, 2014.

1. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    This is a personal experience that I had this weekend and I understand this doesn't speak for everyone.

I was visiting some family this weekend in Alabama who lived next door to a deer processer that I helped this weekend.

Saturday morning I was sitting in a rocking chair at about 9 o'clock AM when 2 pick up trucks drove up and had deer. The first was a old Toyota Tacoma and the second was a brand new jacked up Chevrolet Silverado High Country. Both had killed a buck, the man in the Chevy had killed a very nice 10 (probably 120ish) and the young man in the Toyota had killed a spike. I began to talk to the man in the Chevy(will now be shortened as older man) he was telling me about all of the gear he'd used to kill this deer. He had all sorts of stuff and made sure we all knew, Mathews bows, grunt call, Under Armour camo, really expensive climbers. I gave him a number and asked him to watit a minute to get service. Then I went and talked to the young man who had killed a spike, no one wanted to look at his deer, he truly looked heartbroken and at the point of tears. He then told me he killed the deer with a single shot .308 in the ground, then he proceed to say that was his first deer. I then showed him how to field dress a deer then told him I had to get back to work and his deer would be fully processed by the end of the week and he drove off.

I then went to field dress the older man's buck and he was cracking jokes on the young man's deer while it was in line..

If you want to get something out of my experience(I understand all aren't like this), it's please treat all deer the same, no matter if it's a spike buck or a 150, at least look at the deer and say congrats it's not all about antlers.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some people are just ****** bags. Doesn't matter if it was deer hunting, or something else that guy will always be a ****** bag.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very true, some people can only feel better by putting others down. Then again the kid shouldn't be so down trodden about not getting attention because of the deer he shot.

4. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know how the young man felt. I once was just like him...

5. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I couldnt agree with you more! Too much nonsense about antlers, when it should only be about the experience and the thrill of it! The kid with the spike deserves better!

6. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This x 2.

Also agree the kid shouldn't feel the need to have someone brag on his deer. If you kill it, be proud of it regardless of what a dbag says. If you aren't going to be proud of it then don't kill it.

7. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    There's never a shortage of DB's on the planet.

8. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, this sums it up.

9. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some folks are just D-bags like stated above. By the way you describe him it sounds to me like his mom spit the best part of him out the window.

10. Pitman

Pitman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing new about that.. a lot of people are butt holes and I think they have been for a long long time.

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Some people you just want to slap! I go out of my way to congrat and hear the story from people like the guy with the spike. I mean how can a person not get excited listening to someones story of there first Deer!!!

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe there is a processer that guts your deer for you.

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There is no place in anything to belittle another person's success regardless of what it looks like. Maybe it is my own sense of personal justice, but I would have told the guy with the 10 point to find another processor and done the kid's deer for free. As a personal trainer, I had a similar experience with a couple clients a few years ago. A client with a 20 lb weight loss made fun of a client that only lost 5 lbs in the same amount of time. I fired the 20 lb client. Success is success regardless of what it looks like and first time success is always something of which to be proud. I hope the kid does not quit. Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge him.

14. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have actually never seen one that doesn't, though they all charge a fee for it

15. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are jack wagons in every crowd. I don't understand how someone can belittle another fellow hunter on their kill. That guy was proud of that deer, it was his first by the sounds of it and he should be. Share the joy with him and encourage him to keep at it. We need hunters! I bet that guy shot a spike or doe for his first deer once too. Never forget where you started.

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'd of had a real hard time not ripping that dbag's butt. No I would have said something, the question would have been if I'd felt bad later for my choice of words.

17. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A first deer is always special. If it has antlers it's just an added bonus. The deer itself is the trophy.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

18. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When you do you're first in anything its pretty awesome getting congrats from people. Specially for a young kid. I 100% disagree with you. I always go out of my way for youngsters who accomplish something pretty special to them. When I was 13 years old and got my 1st deer we had 15 people over to go on the blood trail. When we found my doe fawn I was congratulated by everyone over and over. I was on cloud nine with all the nice things everyone said!! It was a feeling I will never forget and its a feeling I want every young hunter to have when they too are successful.

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're right on the money Steve, couldn't agree more. Todays youth is the backbone of the future of hunting. Let's set a good example for them!

20. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Disregard