Eric Garner Outcome???

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Heckler, Dec 4, 2014.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I never said the cop did nothing against department policy. However, the hold may have been against policy; but it did not cost the man his life. The weight of 2 cops + his own is what suffocated him. Not the hold. Unfortunate fact, but still fact. There is a big difference between breaking policy compared to breaking the law.

Another fact- many departments/agencies teach that exact move as a soft takedown technique to be deployed against non-violent physical non-compliance. Maybe not NYPD, but many do. The mantra is : Ask, tell, make.

If (as reported on multiple news sources) the coroner's report states that the man died from chest compression asphyxiation vs. strangulation, then the cop has an excellent chance to get his job back if he wants to do so. Suspension w/o pay for breaking policy, but the facts do not support that the hold caused the man's death. If I had to guess, piling on a struggling suspect is not against policy. The pile on is what contributed to the man's death. Had the cop actually choked the man to death, I would be all for his criminal indictment. But he did not.

2. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :p yea yea I've heard it before.

3. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is true but with sustained chest or throat pressure you can still eventually lose consciousness even if you can still technically breath. There is a differance between getting air and getting enough air. Didn't help the dude weighed half a ton.

4. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trevor,
    You've become a soft politically correct moderate!!! The cop did as he was trained to do, PERIOD!!! Garner was a repeat offender, morbidly obese person who refused to obey the law, as many as maybe a reported 31 times!!! Garner's decision to resist arrest, along with his decisions to lead a sedentary lifestyle while accumulating a ridiculously unhealthy amount of fatty weight is what cost him his life.

The cop did NO WRONG, he did his JOB, and his job was to arrest this man who was AGAIN breaking the law.... The headlock is not reported to be "against protocol" while a "chokehold" is.... However, many who have training in this area, including myself, would tell you that was a takedown maneuver, not a chokehold. Furthermore, Garner died of CARDIAC arrest 60 minutes after this incident, not on that sidewalk as many people are being lead to believe....

This video explains it fairly well... https://www.nycpba.org/news/pba-video/pba-140929-abc.html

In all honesty, I can't even call this a tragedy, I call it life.... He made bad choices in his life, from his health to his repeated arrests, to his resisting arrest, and he's now dead as a result of those choices, not because the cops didn't follow protocol or because of some chokehold or "neck compression."

There was a "trial," they put this before a grand jury presented some 60 hours of information to try to get any sort of a probably cause, and with all those 60 hours worth of information, just like in Ferguson, Missouri, that grand jury couldn't return a likely probable cause charge to place on the officer.... Reason being, because there was NONE!!! For the ME to state that the cause of death was due to neck compression, was, in my honest opinion, a political ploy, because as you hear him saying "I can't breathe," I can assure you he wasn't killed by neck compression, because he wouldn't have been able to speak if that were the case.

5. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And to think these cops deal with these Aholes 40+ hours every week.

Whenever I do get pulled over I try to be the one guy that says "sorry about that officer, I realize I was driving a little fast"

Give these cops a break. I wouldn't do their job for any amount of money.

If these guy or Michael Brown was off the same was by a fellow bad boy rather than a uniformed cop it would never make the paper.

Kilboars Hunt Club

6. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Because whoever killed them would be in prison.

You guys can continue to blindly stick to one side or the other... But a cheeseburger didn't kill this guy. Not saying I believe the cop deserves jail time, just that its beyond dense to act like the cop did no wrong and this guy had it coming because he was over weight.

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the Michael Brown case, if the shooter was BLACK, he'd still be free, check out Roderick Scott for a good example.... Roderick Scott is a "Black George Zimmerman," only he was never beat up....

The cop DIDN'T do wrong, he did his JOB!!! It's the police's job to arrest citizens who don't abide by the law, which is what they did. Garner resisted, and was taken down and cuffed and restrained because he was resisting.... Garner died because he overexerted himself and was in such terrible physical condition that he had a cardiac arrest as a result. Pretty simple really, if Garner showed up at a hospital, he'd not have been given and exercise stress test because of his obesity, they'd be afraid he'd die just trying to walk on the treadmill....

Study crisis intervention, and takedown maneuvers a little, educate yourself in their type of work before you go "throwing stones" at them.... That takedown/chokehold maneuver was a PROTECTIVE MANEUVER to prevent the person being taken down from having their head smashed on the ground, it rendered him to the ground in the safest manner possibly, which is the goal of a takedown. Protect yourself AND the person you're taking down...

Some may argue it was a "chokehold," but those with good training will mostly say otherwise and recognize it was a good takedown that offered protection rather than harm to the individual who was being taken down.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I suspect De Blasio had something to do with the suspension so I wouldn't use that as a reference on weather he did something"wrong"

I know all the officers I have seen interviewed are saying what he did was common.

9. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Besides the obvious obesity Garner was also suffering from advanced diabetes, heart disease, and severe asthma. His bad decision to resist arrest is what killed him along with the poor health. He was a career criminal who had been arrested many times before.

10. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The same scenario in which that guy died occurs thousands of times a day on the streets. Guy doesn't want to go to jail and resists. News flash....you are going to jail.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You are exactly right. A cheeseburger did not kill this guy. It took hundreds.

The fact is, that his health had far more to do with his death than anything an arresting officer did. Like I said before, my 77 year old mother would have walked away from that take-down. He had been arrested over 30 times before. He knew the drill way better than any of us ever will. He resisted. He was a huge guy that posed a potential threat to the officers and himself. They did what they are expected to do....neutralize the threat as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, he was in such terrible shape, that his body could not handle the least bit of stress.

The cop may not have followed protocol to the fine line. But, to say that the cop killed him is no different than saying he died from a cheeseburger. He died from making a LOT of poor decisions in his life.

12. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly..........

13. Bawanajim

Bawanajim Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  14. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    Or why its not news worthy to CNN or MSNBC, maybe they are waiting to report on the "Protest" !

16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every person(s) that killed that girl deserve to die. I don't care if one of them says "I just held her down and didn't light her on fire" or something similar. You plotted the murder or helped in any way form of fashion you deserve death.

17. Bawanajim

Dislikes Received:
    A very prolonged hideously well thought out and painfully slow death at that.