@@@@@@ Team 21 Thread @@@@@@

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by BJE80, Aug 18, 2014.

1. NC_Bowhunter

NC_Bowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Got us another 50 pts...doe down finally...story n pics later

2. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ever since I updated this app I have not got any updates from anybody else on the team. Is anybody else having issues??

3. jeffacarp

jeffacarp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe buddy! Can't wait to hear the story and see pics

4. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    I see people's posts, but I haven't seen a scorecard update since November 11

5. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok good deal..everybody must be really busy and not posting lol
    Thanks

6. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got a doe down with the bow!!

Well guys I finally put a tag on a doe with the bow this season...I have been bowhunting for about 10 years now and I have never had as hard of time tagging a doe as I have had this year...Our deer numbers in my area appear to wayyyyyy down....I shot 2 with my rifle just so I could go on and get some meat for the freezer but anyways...I have seen a ton of 1.5 and 2.5 year old bucks this year which I guess will be a good thing in the next few years. Anyway, I went hunting Saturday morning knowing I could only hunt until 9:30 due to family plans. Around 7:30 I had a doe come in but never presented me with a shot. About 10 minutes later the biggest buck I have on camera at this spot comes in running full blast and precedes to chase her all around me...He is either a great 2 year old or a solid 3 year old...Either way not big enough or old enough for me to shoot. They left the scene but around 9:25, what I thought was a different doe( Possibly could have been different one but I doubt it) came in and started feeding in the food plot. She was quartering towards me the whole time so I decided to go on and take the shot. She was quartering slightly not a lot....Anyway, I was sitting in a ground blind so I had one window open. I guess I just became to focused on her b/c when I released my arrow I immediately saw it fishtail from hitting the window. Although I still thought I made a good shot on her her it was until I reviewed the footage that I saw I hit her way back. It was actually entered in the intestines and came out in the front of her ham....It was TERRIBLE....Well 10 minutes after I shot her the saem buck came running in and pickled up right on her trail. I said oh Sh*t He is going to push her and I will never find her. There was zero blood on the arrow so I didn't have any expectations of finding her. I came back about 5 p.m. just to see if I could at least find where she went in the woods. Well I found a path alright and it looked like I have heart shot her with all the blood pumping out....All I can figure is I hit one of her main arteries in he ham because she didn't go 35 yards and was done. She was stiff as a board....Anyway, needless to say I was mighty tickled I found her b/c I really didn't expect too.....I have 3 more tags so hopefully I can redeem myself with another doe or buck

Attached Files:

7. Lady Forge

Lady Forge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the Doe Josh :o Dont you just love watching a good deer chase !

8. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks LF!! Although it has been a tough year for me I have witnessed and heard some things this year that I've never seen or heard before. I heard on 3 different occasions variations of a bucks grunting, I have seen two "hot" does which I have never seen, heard 2 bucks really fighting and two does fighting. The first hot doe I saw had 5 bucks on her trail!! It was awesome to see....I still have a month left so hopefully I can catch up with a buck when they get back on the food good.

9. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe NC! Great encounter and harvest! I'm glad you were able to find her

10. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Man!! Me too!

11. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Well I know its no points for our team but I wanted to share with you all .. I filled my last buck tag for this season this morning... a 12 point buck. Im just to tired to share the story now since I just got home from work and am exhausted . Deb Dec Buck 2014 049.jpg Deb Dec Buck 2014 048.jpg So I will share the story with you all tomorrow, so for now a couple of pics :D

12. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck LF! Also a testament to waiting out a marginal shot.

13. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is AWESOME LF!!! Wow what a season you guys have had....can't wait to hear the story

14. jeffacarp

Dislikes Received:
    LF great buck....again! You've had one heck of a season! Congratulations! I'm assuming you and your husband have lots of freezer space haha?

15. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Way to go LF! Congratulations on an amazing season!

Im hoping to get back out for my last sit two weekends from now, wow is the season already over?

16. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    I just got done scoreing my buck and to my amazement he scored 162 1/8 :jaw:... I never would have guessed ???? I figured he would score near lower 150's when I shot him but I was conservative when my husband asked I told him at least mid 140's cause I didnt want to get my hopes up.

17. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow!! Awesome job LF!!

18. youngfart

youngfart Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LF & Josh
    Congrats to you both ,LF you must be feeding the hungry huh! I normally do to but, due to the cicumstances, I've bin left out in the cold and had the 2 best weeks taken away from me this year. No I'm not complaining. I'm disapointed but we need to deal with what is put before us and do the best that we can. Keep laying them dow team ! :nana:
    Rocky

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  19. NC_Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Rocky!!

20. Lady Forge

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the story of my buck hunt .
    It was december 1st and I was headed out for an afternoon bow hunt with my last buck tag.

With the cold wind from the NE I knew where I wanted to bow hunt in the River bottoms its a spot I like to call the Bedroom Door. This spot I had seen 3 large bucks and a few smaller bucks before but they were always just out of shooting range. I knew the deer would come from the east or slightly SE so I knew I would have the wind in my favor. So I put on almost all the hunting clothes I own since it was so cold and by then I looked like the good year tire man I had on so many layers and handwarmers. I took my climber and walked in from downwind and climbed my tree.

I didnt see any deer all afternoon till about 10 minutes before sunset I looked east and seen a deer, it was a couple of hundred yards away. The deer was browsing as it made its way towards me. As the deer got closer I could see it was a buck. Once he got to 50 yards I knew it was a shooter.

So I prepared myself for the shot as it appeared the buck was on a trail that was gonna take him right by me. So I stoodup, grabbed the bow and got in position. I noticed my heart rate had sped up so I mentally told myself calm down, take a deep breath and breathhhhhh and relax. Ive gotten pretty good at calming myself before the shot its after the shot that I fall apart and the adrenaline kicks in with the bad shakes.

When the buck came to a stop at 35 yards I drew back and noticed my arrow had come off the rest and wedged itself between the arrow rest prongs and the riser of the bow.This has never happened to me before,So in a panic I had to let down. I was so afraid he was gonna see me let down since there wasnt a tree or any cover between me and him. But I was successful in letting down and not getting busted. So I once again drew my bow and at half way drawn he drops his head to feed quartering to me and in a position I didnt want to shoot so I had to let down again. Okay... by now Im getting a little frazzled, he then lifts his head and turns broadside and starts to walk and as he passes a tree I drew my bow he is at 32 yards when I put my 30 yard pin on him and I shot him when he came out from behind the tree.

Upon the arrow impacting him I saw the the arrow and instantly cringed as I knew that I had a low gut shot. I knew there wasnt a branch or twig in the way of my shot ... I had only myself to blame for the bad shot. I guess I was more frazzled than I thought at the time.

So I watched as the buck ran 20 yards straight away from me and then stopped and just stood there for 7 minutes. I could see my arrow in him with at least 10 inches of penetration. Then he slowly walked away. He would walk 12 to 20 yards stop and stand for a few minutes the entire way till he was out of my sight. So I took a mental note of the last place I had seen him and a photo of the last spot where I last saw him.

I knew he would have to lay overnight with the gut shot so I climbed out of the tree as quietly as possible on the opposite side of the tree to make sure he didnt see me climb down. I didnt want to make uneccesary noise so I left my climber at the base of the tree. I left my homemade bootblankets on my boots for the walk out since I knew they would help to quiet my foot steps on the walk out on the dry leaves that sounded like your walking on potatoe chips. I walked out to the NW as quietly as possible ( away from the direction the buck went ) going slow and quiet with no flashlight since Im trying not to spoke him since I dont know exactly where he was at. Now I had to just pray for a bloodtrail in the morning and that the coyotes wouldnt find him overnight since I did bump a bedded coyote walking in.

Once morning came around 8am my husband and I headed into the woods after letting the buck go overnight it had been roughly 16 hours since I had shot my buck. We parked the truck by the cemetary and started walking down the hill to the river bottoms to where I shot my buck and 3/4 of the way down the hill I noticed a blood trail, but thought it cant be my buck, he went the other direction. So I called out to my husband walking ahead of me and showed him the bloodtrail, I marked the bloodtrail also since I knew there was another bowhunter hunting across he road from where we parked and I thought maybe he had shot a deer this morning since some of the blood was still wet but then some of the blood was dry so then I was questioning that bloodtrail?????? So we went ahead and made it back to where I shot my buck with the deer cart in tow and retrieved my climber. Within 6 yards from where I had shot the buck we had a bloodtrail to follow , I felt blessed to have a bloodtrail and was pretty excited now. ( I know alot of low gut shots dont bleed much when the guts buldge out into the entrance hole and block the arrow hole from bleeding ) So we followed a long meandering bloodtrail that went on for what seemed like forever till we found one deer bed, but it didnt appear like he bedded there for long ( not much blood ) Then the blood trail turned slightly and started heading in the direction of the bloodtrail I had found coming down the hill.

Well the bloodtrail led us back to the spot on the hill I had marked with a bloodtrail when we first got there. We followed the blood up the hill another 60 yards to behind the cemetary and there he was laying dead about 100 yards from our truck. Well so much for the old saying I had been told that lethally hit deer dont run up hill !

Unfortunately the coyotes had got to him( and no were not allowed to shoot coyotes on this property :() The yotes had eaten his entire backside.
    In all I feel truely blessed to have recovered him after such a terrible shot.
    I thought he was a 10 but turned out he is a 12 with the 2 matching stickers, Wooo Hooo :D
    Turns out I believe this is the same buck I have seen twice before in the last couple of weeks.
    Deb Dec Buck 2014 051.jpg Deb Dec Buck 2014 046.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015