*** Team 24/7 thread ***

Discussion in '2014 Deer Contest' started by charness0001, Aug 18, 2014.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    How's the hunting going, Fletch?

I'm already itching to get back after them even after 11 straight days, 8 of which I froze my butt off.

I've killed six deer so far this season but I've only put two yearling (not fawn) does in my freezer so far.

The buck I killed I gave to an older friend who wanted some venison. He also gives some to some widow ladies where he lives. The doe I killed was given to the farmer who let us hunt in Kentucky because he doesn't hunt any longer. The doe I killed in Missouri I gave to my nephew who was there. He hunts once a year and he really wanted a deer but didn't kill one so I gave him mine. These were all bow kills.

Of course, you know about the 8 point I killed with the rifle that got dragged off by some lowlife.

I need to focus on filling up my freezer now. :)

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I sat last evening for a couple of hours. I had the unicorn buck coming straight at me at 40 yards and he kicked up a doe that was bedded in the thick stuff. He was a half mile from where I saw him a few days ago. He ran her around for a while and eventually out of sight. I never did get an opportunity to shoot. I saw a couple of other bucks running does also. I had several does walk right past me and was in high hopes that a shooter buck would follow, but no such luck. I was able to watch deer for the entire time and that makes for a very enjoyable hunt. I am taking my Mom to a Dr. appt. today so my hunting is on hold until tomorrow. This weekend I will sit most of the day on Saturday and Sunday and the weather is going to be much warmer!!

3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    If you have any faith at all in lunar phases, Friday and Saturday should be phenomenal days with the new moon rising and setting with the sun.

I know I'm going to be sitting Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and Sunday morning. :)

4. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I really think I will get one on the ground by the end of the weekend. My standards are slipping! lol

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, don't let them slip too low. :lol:

6. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch, go ahead and shoot the first Fergie buck you see.

7. Tim Ainsworth

Tim Ainsworth BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Man, Fletch, sounds like some great hunts lately! Super Jealous, its been slow for me lately. Just not seeing the bug bucks like I had hoped. Little Chief, sounds like you've killed a deer or two as well, ha! Keep at it boys we know we'll miss it like crazy when its gone..

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Just a few..... :)

9. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This.........haha.

10. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    My standards are definitely slipping........but I'm not quite ready for a Fergie buck. lol

11. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    I sat in a finger of timber that is surrounded by bedding yesterday afternoon. I saw several does and 5 bucks from 110 to 150's. The biggest was a solid 10 pt. that I was going to shoot. I had him coming to a grunt tube and doe bleats....until a real doe popped over the ridge and he took off after her instead. He was inside easy range, but behind too much brush to get a slam-dunk shot. They are still moving really well. Mature bucks are still cruising here.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch I think you should just start post-season scouting for a Booner next season :D

(I hate it but I bet something dies to you soon...good luck bud!)

13. fletch920

Dislikes Received:

It's been a struggle to get one in range. I have never had so much interference from coyotes, dogs, neighbors, poachers, other deer, etc. Been a crazy year for sure. I had a shooter coming towards me last evening and a scrub headed old buck that was more aggressive shows up and chases him off. Every time I have one coming to me, something interferes. I like to think its just a matter of time, but time is getting short! lol

I may be hunting the deep freeze of late season just to get a buck down.

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in same boat for my buck bud....just takes one minute of one sit is what I keep telling myself. Been tough here due to work and battling a sickness, but should get out some over the coming weeks....hope to score.

15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck! Sounds like we both need some. lol

16. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is it still reasonable to sit on rubs and scrapes this late? I had a huge rub with a scrape I had been hunting over and seen nothing. And since saturday another rub with a scrape under it showed up within 5 yards of the other.

17. tomjery

tomjery Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Along with your photo (or video) you must post the date and time in which the deer was shot.

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks captain obvious.

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there hasn't been much conversation on our thread lately. Surely someone besides me is still hunting. Not that I can contribute any more points, but I'm still hunting.

I've killed 7 deer so far - two bucks and five does - all but one with my bow. I'm still sick about the 8 point I shot with my 7mm that someone else "recovered" before I got to him.

20. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like we slipped to 4th place after the latest update. The deer where I hunt have all but disappeared. I was seeing deer everytime I went out up until Nov. 11th including a couple of close encounters with 2 decent bucks but after that, deer are few and far between. This is the 3rd year this has happened. Consistent deer activity up until the first week of November and then it falls off quickly. I'm not even seeing any does. I saw 3 deer (2 does and a small buck) on November 15th and I haven't saw a deer since. It's not looking good for filling my remaining archery tag.