"I dont shoot a crossbow because I'm a man" <----these guys

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by jacob, May 15, 2014.

1. KodiakIslandArchery

KodiakIslandArchery Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Right on.....

2. jacob

jacob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my mother always said that when someone makes fun of you it means they are jealous. lol Im definitely going to take it hunting this year.

3. longbowmanjimmy

longbowmanjimmy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    crossbowhunting isn't bowhunting, at least in my book. but who am I to tell someone what they can and can't do. However, they definitely have their place. A lot of states, mine included, you can't use rifles, and even for gun season your pretty restricted on what you can use. Crossbows can reach out and touch a deer farther than most bows, bridging the gap between gun and bow, and I don't know about you but bowhunting can start to really suck when your hunting open property and the snow is over a foot deep. Illinois allows you to use x bows after shotgun season now, and I think thats about perfect. Some properties simply are wayy harder to hunt with a bow, and between all the time and money involved in hunting these days, I think they are justifiable. My grandpa uses one and he always says he'd rather bring that in the woods than his slug gun

4. Gunned down

Gunned down Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand people who put down crossbows as being less traditional look at your set up tree stand max 4 or the latest In camo carbon arrow how is any of that traditional as far as hitting any animal at farther ranges that's on the shooter but thoughts like that are what make crossbows dangerous IMO people seem to be more willing to try that farther shot when they have a crossbow although they have. Ever practiced it and I don't care what your shooting at every animal deserves a quick clean kill no matter how you do it or what you use just be sure you get the job done. I am a crossbow hunter and only use a 150lb draw 280fps most of your compounds shoot farther than I do

Of It Grunts Gobbles or Growls it's not gonna have a good day

5. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    100% false.

6. BearArcher

BearArcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Dan. A crossbow and a modern compound bow have the same range for all practical purposes. With few exceptions, neither one has any business shooting at live animals beyond 40 yards. Obviously, there are those skilled enough to push beyond 40 yards with either one but the vast majority of us would be better served making 40 yards our maximum range on live animals. My maximum with a compound bow is only 30 yards at my current skill level. The reason I say 40 yards is that given the speed of an arrow or bolt, there is too much time between the shot and when the projectile arrives for the animal to take a step, jump the string, or another animal stepping into the flight path either in front of or behind the target animal which can cause a bad hit and an unrecovered wounded animal. Too much time elapses for too many things to go wrong beyond 40 yards in my opinion. Even the worst deer hunting gun is at least a 75 yard gun (shotgun, smoothbore, foster slugs) with most using a rifled barrel and sabot slugs extending their range to about double that. Even a .44 magnum handgun is a 75-100 yard gun with the right scenario (steady rest for a well practiced shooter). A crossbow is not a gun. The bolt travels at arrow speeds not slug or bullet speeds. The bolt drops fast like an arrow and is prone to the same range estimation errors as a bow. Even a foster type slug won't care if you estimate the range as 40 yards and it is really 50 yards. But do that with a crossbow and you will miss just like you would with a bow.

The crossbow has disadvantages to the modern compound bow such as the crossbow is harder to carry and maneuver through brush and it is nearly impossible to get a second shot off with a crossbow without spooking game. 2nd and even sometimes 3rd shots are not all that uncommon with a compound bow. Of course, it has the advantage of not having to be manually drawn. Given all of what I have pointed out above, I still don't get why so many people have the illusion that a crossbow is more gun like than bow like and why they are so against them being used in archery season.

7. Ladydeerkiller

Ladydeerkiller Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You'll get some flack from different people.....but the important thing is: 1) shoot what you want to shoot (I shoot Xbow, compound and recurve); 2) have fun...whatever gets you in the woods; 3) if you can put meat in the freezer and make ethical kills, who cares what you shoot...as long *** it is legal. Good luck.

8. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If it is legal, who cares what others think. I have a crossbow, but prefer a compound as long as I can still draw it.

9. michaellouderman

michaellouderman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looks like Oklahoma gave ya ll a little more FREEDOM! I would take all I could get! Good hunting my friend...

10. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like everyone else said, Who cares. They have been legal here in TN for a while. IMO, their too heavy to and aggravating you use, but that is just me. Have fun with it.

11. jody5252

jody5252 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You nailed it sir... Fred Bear's the man... Who cares what the cry babies say!! You hunt with what you want to. As long as it is legal and ethical... After all, Your out in the woods/fields, HUNTING... That is what it is all about!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My resistance to the crossbow is because in Minnesota only the elderly and handicapped can use them, I don't want to be elderly or handicapped.

13. moon222

moon222 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm eighty one years and still bow hunt---now I needed a bow I could use --so I brought a new xbow

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I applaud you for still getting after it, I hope when I am 81 I can still hunt.

15. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    awesome!!

16. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see the dbag you are labeling. He stated his opinion and what I gathered was his personal feelings are not what the bottom line is in his sentiments on the topic, if legal go for it.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Me personally I have nothing against them...do I believe they should be treated equal to a compound, no. Do I believe a compound should be treated equal to a long or recurve bow, no. I loved when Indiana said they were legal for use in early season if you had any kind of handicap or youth...then in late season legal for all. That changed recently and now can be used by any at any moment...I strongly support my fellow hunters doing so despite my personal views on it. Legal is legal and that my friend makes you a friend of mine.

18. r0scoe

r0scoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in New Brunswick, a Crossbow is not valid during bow season. Except for the acceptable distance being the same as a bow, it's basically a firearm for most regulations

19. Dire_effects

Dire_effects Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As a man, I see itthis way.

Anyone who does anything to prove they are a man, or because they see it as manly, has more to prove to themselves as I see it.

Maybe they were picked on as kids or grew up around people who instilled this sillyness in them.

In my way of seeing it, is this.

A man strives to better himself an those around him, if he fails, he looks at why, and then tries again. Messing up is not a reason to be ashamed, messing up and quitting is.

judging manhood based on the tools you use, rather than the skill with which you wweild them, is joke from the false male paradigm. Hunters are warriors, looking to battle nature and match wits with animals to provide food for their family and/or friends. Some MEN, will donate their kills to food shelters if they wish.

This shaming people into acting or thinking a certain way(if it's not just good ribbing) is pathetic. We as men should bringing people up, and helping each other become better, even through competition, and even "tough love" so to speak.

The hard guy that has tough principles and standards that doesn't join in the conversation, unless he sees he is going to make some valid point I think should be more emulated than the boasting and chest thumping common today. And yes I have been guilty of this in the past, and I am not saying I haven't. But striving to be better, is better than accepting who we are, wen we all an grow.

My .02

20. utwolf

utwolf Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone.....New to the forum and I must say......reading these topics that cause such a stir are quite entertaining....
    While we are all entitled to our opinion.......they remain just that, an opinion.....everyone has them.
    I own both, a compound and crossbow and enjoy them equally.......If its legal to use to but meat on the table its all good.